Trailer Brake Controller Recommendation? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailer Brake Controller Recommendation?

MtnCar

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
This summer I will be towing a 17.5' travel trailer. Since it it over 1500 lbs the rental company requires a trailer brake controller in my vehicle. Looking for recommendations of what one I should get.

'13 Exp Sport w/tow package.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it difficult to install brake controller in a 2013 explorer with tow package is it just plug and play if so where would be the wiring located.
Dennis

If you have the tow package, the wiring is already run from the hitch to the inside of the car. There should a port under the dash somewhere to plug the brake controller into. You need the brake controller and a Ford wiring harness.

Not sure on its location but as I said, it should be under the dash.

Hopefully someone who has done this will chime in.

Is it difficult to install brake controller in a 2013 explorer with tow package is it just plug and play if so where would be the wiring located.
Dennis

Should be plug and play, you might need to add or connect wiring if you want to charge a battery on whatever is being towed. Plug/wiring is under dash near drivers left foot. Or at least that's where it's been on every vehicle I've towed with, I don't tow with my explorer.

Dennis
There is another thread, a couple years old, that has all the information you are looking for on finding the wiring and installing a brake controller. A search will find it for you.

IIRC, the wire is taped to another and above the brake pedal. I found mine by laying on my back in the driver footwell and illuminating the under dash area with a flashlight..

+1 on the Prodigy. Love mine. I use some heavy duty Velcro to attach it to the lower dash on the left side of the steering wheel.

And to the OP, I'd guess the trailer you intend to tow falls within the towing capacity - but I'd look at the specs and the towing guide for your year to make sure.

Hi All,
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I will order a Tekonsha P3 and harness. I like the Velcro mourning idea. I did verify the trailer is within spec. It has a dry weight of 2900 lbs., so loaded up it will be well under the 5000 lbs max.

Prodigy

I am using the Prodigy and I didn't need the harness. The harness from my Explorer plugged right into the Prodigy.

As you see I have a 2016 Sport. I'm guessing all Sport models have the full tow packages. Mine does and I didn't order anything special.
I will be towing a Passport 195RB travel trailer with a weight of about 3,600 lbs (dry) and I will be getting sway / load leveling hitch.

Questions:
1) Wired for a brake controller. Any comments on type / brand I should buy or just let dealer select.
2) Mirrors. Do I need to add some kind of extended mirrors? If so what type.

I tow a large tent trailer (3000lbs dry, 4000lbs max) and I use the Prodigy P2, as the P3 just added a fancier display and a memory for different profiles. You need the harness and as you can read above, the connector is under the dash. It was a real pain to get mine out as it was taped to another harness. Lost a lot of knuckle skin getting it free.

My favorite part of the P2 is using the "boost" profiles while on the highway. On initial braking the b1 setting applies 25% of the set braking power which helps keep the trailer in line and really adds to the overall stopping power in emergency situations. The boost settings are nearly undrivable for me at low speeds though, as even a light tap on the brakes starts hopping the trailer axle. It's very simple to change the setting while under way, so I don't mind jockeying with it a bit.

I run the P3 on my Super Duty, it's the one thing I kept from my old tow rig, and it was simple plug and play. No wiring. However you may need to install some fuses that are just empty from the factory. Aging just plug them in. Super Easy

Trailer Brake Controller for a 2018

I just leased a 2018 Explorer XLT with a class III factory tow package. I need advice for the best brake controller and where the cable plugs into the Explorer's factory trailer brake wiring.

Back