Trailer Sway MPG hit??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailer Sway MPG hit???

Reaction score
City, State
seattle, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 explorer xlt
Not sure...but I *think* I have noticed the trailer sway function affects MPG...around .1-.3, not an insignificant amount. I have not done detail testing of my theory, but I have seen what I believe is this effect. In trying to test my theory, I discovered you can disable trailer sway in settings, but every time you do a key cycle (car on, car off, car on) this function automatically turns ON. Not sure why Ford did this....if they really don't want us turning it OFF why did they give the option? My 2010 4.6 will not exceed 13.3 MPG in town NO MATTER WHAT. If I turn OFF trailer sway, it will progressively improve MPG. Want to know what others think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What Is Ford Trailer Sway Control?​

epr14_models_detailflip_trailersway.jpg

By Brent Dunn
The Ford Trailer Sway Control (or TSC) system is standard on many of Ford's new vehicles, including the F-150 and Super Duty pickup trucks and Escape, Expedition, and Explorer sport utility vehicles. TSC uses the AdvanceTrac with Roll Stability Control System (or RSC) to help keep the truck and trailer combination in control. The Roll Stability Control system has two gyroscopic sensors that measure vehicle roll and turning rates. By selectively braking and adjusting engine power the Trailer Sway Control system is able to maintain trailer control and help prevent sway, resulting in improved stability and providing greater driver confidence.

I could see how it MPG could be affected by the TSC. I thought this option only came on the Sport Trac but I guess not.

If I was worried about .1 mpg I would certainly not be driving an Explorer.

the 4th Gen had TSC ???????

This might be
Not sure...but I *think* I have noticed the trailer sway function affects MPG...around .1-.3, not an insignificant amount. I have not done detail testing of my theory, but I have seen what I believe is this effect. In trying to test my theory, I discovered you can disable trailer sway in settings, but every time you do a key cycle (car on, car off, car on) this function automatically turns ON. Not sure why Ford did this....if they really don't want us turning it OFF why did they give the option? My 2010 4.6 will not exceed 13.3 MPG in town NO MATTER WHAT. If I turn OFF trailer sway, it will progressively improve MPG. Want to know what others think.
I don't see 0.1 to 0.3 MPG as being all that significant. So many things can affect gas mileage that amount and much more. Wind, grade, temperature, use of accessories, driving style, traffic encountered etc. can easily account for these small deviations. It is my understanding the handling control system only kicks in when driving dynamics merit it. Otherwise it just monitors the sensors and does nothing until it is needed.

Back