Tramp is done! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tramp is done!

Ok - after about 4 months of planning and tinkering, Tramp is out!

Details:
4.56's
Detroit rear, EZ Locker front
37" Goodyear MT/R's
1.25" spacers that convert the rear to 5x5.5
D44 from a '75 bronco
James Duff coils, shocks, RA mounts
F150 outers up front
Steering by CoryL Customs

This project was a huge undertaking. I started with a stock '93, added 31's, then a 3" bodylift, then a 5.5" superlift and 35" Xterrains. After too many issues with the front end, I decided to swap.

Bought all the parts I needed, but ran into many problems along the way. From brake lines to transmission crossmember, they cam about once per week. Here is a pic of the crossmember cut and braced...
8xmembersup2-med.jpg

I have since added a 45 degree brace along the side for added strength.

Welding the buckets and the trackbar mount up proved challenging - in fact, the trackbar mount broke within 5 minutes of leaving the garage.
8brkn_mount-med.jpg

I am bringing it to a shop Monday (Mustang Motorsports of Fort Myers) to have the trackbar mount fixed and the sping buckets checked - along with the rest of the welds.

Here is the finished product!
8side-med.jpg

Feel free to ask any questions you want, as this is far from detailed.

Jon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, I'll have him contact you guy's. His name is Ralph. He did the Rubicon with me about 3 years ago and got bitten by the bug.

Double shocks are the way to go:D They are great on and off-road.

I would like to see a couple special request pics if you don't mind?

1) Pinion Angle
2) caster good pick of your knuckls and the caster angle

Just ask cause I am using a stock eb 44 and I don't think you cut an d turned anything so I am curious how it rides on the street (ie: Tracking) and how your front shaft feels any binding?

I'll have answers and pics for your questions when I get the driveshaft ack and the alignment finished - hopefully by Friday. But so far, even out of align, the things rides great! There is a little rub on the RA at full lock - that's it.

J

Cool! Mine is going under the truck this weekend for the first test fit.

question

did you explorer have coils stock? If not how hard was it to add coil buckets and get everything lined up?

Andrew

It had coils, but I cut out the buckets and replaced them. Lining it up wasn't too bad - just measure the axle on both sides to be sure it is straight. I used a plumb-line to determine if the axle was centered and to find the centerline for the new buckets.

J

a few more questions

What is the axle out of and did it take any modifying to fit, width, ect. And last do you have a write up of the whole process, parts list? I will hopefully be starting the process this summer so i want to get as much info as i can.

Andrew

And Delivered!

Well - Tramp has made the trip to MadMike's in Yuma, AZ. It's my understanding Mike and Rick will be venturing out sometime soon - I just want to see pictures of my baby in action!

J

Jon, i had forgotten that you had to sell it, do you miss her?

Do you have any other plans for another explorer?

Josh,
I'm not sure what lies ahead - I've been looking at scramblers, broncos, suzukis and so on. There will be another project, just not sure what yet. Who knows - maybe a V8 powered 2 door Montero (found one for about free).

J

Well,
Now that the move is out of the way, I can get back in the game. Not sure what direction - thought about a cj - even thought about a 2door ex and doing another SAS. Need room for the kids to ride and to carry the dive gear. Also - can't go too tall as it needs to get into my garage :)

J

Get the 2 door Explorer. You do some great work and we would love to have you back here.

That is entirely possible. I figure a coilsprung D30 with 33's, soa in the rear and 4.56's would be a very easy project after what I went through with Tramp.

BTW - Brian, your truck looks great - are you really going to sell it?

J

I am not pushing the sale at all. I have 5 explorers in my driveway, so if someone wanted it bad enough I would most likely sell it. That explorer was built for fun and for show. I never drive it.

Thanks for the compliment though. You can check out some of the other explorers below in my signature.

Lock Outs

Are we able to use a lock out for a Dana 44 from the 80 and 90 on a Dana 44 from a 79 ford F150 or Bronco?

Back