Tranny cooler?

fordexplorerdude97

Reaction score
City, State
Newtown, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT
Hello

I would like to buy a midsize boat soon, but I'm not sure about my Tranny. I have a 97 Explorer 4X4 XLT, without the tow package, how can find out that it has a Transmission cooler?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The transmission cooler is typically located in front of and on the lower half of the radiator. It is about maybe 10 inches wide and 8 inches tall.

We'll assume you mean an auxillary cooler. All automatics have a cooler in the radiator. Look in front of the airconditioning condensor, the "radiator" in front of the actual radiator for the engine. If you see a small cooler about 8"x6" or a little larger, thats the auxillary cooler. Look on the passenger side.

We'll assume you mean an auxillary cooler. All automatics have a cooler in the radiator. Look in front of the airconditioning condensor, the "radiator" in front of the actual radiator for the engine. If you see a small cooler about 8"x6" or a little larger, thats the auxillary cooler. Look on the passenger side.

I see, is there a safe limit to tow with it without over heating? I don't think the boat is more than 2000 pounds, and will the truck be ok by using the bumper hitch? or is it too heavy for it?

Just bought a cooler for my trans yesterday from summit. Should I run mine through both the factory rad, or just skip it?

Mine did not have a factory cooler:(

Dunno if you can skip the radiator portion cauz its used to warm up the transmission fluid to operating temps during cold starts (using heat from the engine's coolant). I believe the torque converter is locked up at this point too in order to inhibit more heat in the system (shift points are higher too I think).

Dunno if you can skip the radiator portion cauz its used to warm up the transmission fluid to operating temps during cold starts (using heat from the engine's coolant)

I know those 40° nights are brutal here! :p:

I see, is there a safe limit to tow with it without over heating? I don't think the boat is more than 2000 pounds, and will the truck be ok by using the bumper hitch? or is it too heavy for it?

The bumper is rated for 3500lb and should work fine, however you will have a much better towing expirience with a class 3 hitch and drawbar that you can level the trailer properly.

Also at 2000lbs you will need to have trailer braking.

Edit:
I only answered part of your question, overheating can occur without a trailer on hot days, so if it is hot and/or there are big hills to climb, look into an additional cooler the 30 to 70 dollars can save you hundreds in crispy fried tranny parts. While your at it add temp gauge so you know where things are running

if you have the 4.0 with thr 5r55e you will want to read the 5r55e rebuild diary on this site it is packed with good info.

look into things like, Synthetic ATF, Shift Kit, Band Adjustment, External Filter

How many miles do you have?

Back