tranny help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tranny help

goldie lox

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
daughters tranny went out of her 97 explorer 4.0, i found what i thought was the right tranny, every thing went back together ok for the most part. now this one has the drum sensor, the problem is i cant find the drum sensor wire from the vehicle. i thought i might have pushed it up behind the engine out of the way, cant find it there. looked all around. cant find it. the vin for the model says the tranny should be model 97gt-aca. is that one the drum sensor model or non-drum sensor model. where would the sensor wire be coming from for me to look

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

after doing lots of looking, it seems that there was a recall where you cut the two wires going to the ods sensor and twisted them together, if this is the case this might be why i can find the sensor plug anywhere.
i really wish i could remember if i unplugged it or not. thinking not cause everything else has been accounted for.
please let me know if this is all correct and where the two wires might be so i can see if it has been done

Look on the door sticker for the date of manufacture, if it was late in the year of 97, it may not have the sensor wire. 98 on doesn't have the sensor on the trans or the wire.
The wire would come out of the same wire loom that the rear sensor (output shaft sensor) wire comes from.

can find wire anywhere. will be looking at vin in a bit. does it matter that the trans has the ods sensor or will i have to take it back out and find another one, the one that came out had both.

Oh didn't know the original had both, if you can't find the wire then it may have been cut off and spliced together. No doesn't matter, just leave it alone, as it was done away with, trans is the same inside. Look at the OD sensor on the original if it has dirt in it then there was no wire plugged onto it.

says it was in march. so i'm saying it was done as a recall. i really dont remember unhooking that one. everything is installed and ready to test run tomorrow once i reflush the cooler. better safe than sorry. thanks for the help

Back