Trans isn't shifting out of first!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trans isn't shifting out of first!!!!

arronnorton

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Madison, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Limited '92 Sport
My 94 Explorer :navajo: just started to not shift. :( it's been a good reliable truck sents I got it a year ago. it started by just shifting hard at first and now it's stuck in 1st. If anyone could give me any advice it would be helpful. Also what trans fluid would you recommend for it. I love my explorer and don't want to have to get rid of it because the trans's is out please help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check if the vacuum line popped off the vacuum modulator, to the passenger side rear of the transmission. Also check the vacuum tree on the driver side of upper intake plennum, toward the rear for loose vacuum lines.

I just checked the vacuum modulator valve on the transmission and the vac hoses on top and it all look good and not crushed or holes in it. any other thing could cause it to not shift?

as a last resort what would you take for one?

I have two, one is a good candidate for rebuilding (this forum has an excellent tread on rebuilding one your self) for $100. The other is off a 93 and still works, I'd say about $400.
My daily driver has one that I rebuilt myself 3 years ago plus it starts runs and drives if you need one for parts if the price is right I might let it go too. I'm very open to suggestion on all this.

Don

Where you located at? I'm going to replace the Modulatar valve this weekend and see if that works first.

ok Now I'm confused. I took the truck around the block and still no shifting until I was almost back home then it shifted into second for a sec then back to first then back to second were it stayed. I don't know if it's working itself back out or if something in the computer could be causeing it. any guesses? should I go ahead and replace the valve or not?

The odometer reads 124K but the truck has been rebuilt. the engine is out of a 95. I don't know when the last time the fluid and filter was changed. Haven't changed it sents I bought it a year ago. I'm going to change the filter and fluid in it and add some Transmatic too it. I'm also going to replace the Modulator valve just incase. The Trans is shifting right now from first to second in town but it's shifting at about 2500-3000 RPM.

well got the transmission fluid and Modulator changed and still nothing. This is getting to really agravate me. Please if ANYONE has any Ideas please post them.

What did the pan look like when you changed the fluid. That will tell you everything. If there was any crud in the pan other than a fine, hard packed quarter size bit of clutch material your tranny needs to be rebuilt. There is no such a thing as band adjustment. I am not sure what tranny you would have but it should have a throttle cable and if it is not adjusted right it will shift really late or early, depending on the adjustment.

I didn't check the governor. Is there a way to check it with the transmission in the truck still? If so how and what do I look for in the govenor? as for the pan all there was was a little bit of stuff on the mag strip. The transmission isn't slipping so I don't think the bands are out or loose. The check engine light is on but it's for the EGR Valve.

ok If I have to pull the Xfer box I would like to know if the governor can be replaced and if so where can I find one? I've looked and I can't find one anywere. I took the explorer out for a test drive just now and wants you let off the gas at around 3000 then slowly put the gas to it it douse shift wants it gets to 1500 so from what I've read it's the governor sticking or wore out. I'd like to replace the governor when I pull the xfer case so I don't have to pull it twice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had the same problem. called my local trans shop and they had one the next day for 25 dollars. easy to do too! take the drive shafts down, take the transfer case off and take a flash light and look in the tail section. you will see it plain as day. two 10 mill bolts and the thing comes right out! you are going to loose some trans fluid, so you might want to have some on hand. took me and a buddy 3 hours, but we have no real experience and lacked tools. transfer weighs about 30 pounds.

Back