Trans isn't shifting out of first!!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trans isn't shifting out of first!!!!

Thanks a ton It's hard finding a governor for these things. I called the local trans shop and all he had was the body for $25. my next problem is which one I have. :( looks like I got to pull the xfer case twice anyway if i want to replace it. whats the odds that it just needs cleaned and isn't bad?

i agree with BrooklynBay. sometimes a good cleaning will work. when you get to it, you need to look at it real good. the surfaces will be scorn and cause it to bind up. also the spring works off of a certain amount of pressure to work so that may need to be replaced. changing your filter and fluid would be a good idea cause if there is something in the fluid that is causing it ti stick, it may cause it to stick again. thats part of the problem im having now. good luck!

I had same problem and I'm 99% sure it was the low/reverse servo. I'm not going to explain all I went threw but you can go back and look threw my threads. My truck made a hard clunck downshifting at a light and then never would shift out of first and had no reverse. Checked servo and it was stuck with debri jamming it, bought new servo with new style seal and still same problem, bought used tranny and installed new servo I just got and still same problem, installed old servo with new seal and it worked. I think the servo I got was just a hair off in diameter and would not work. So I'm thinking that my origanal tranny may have worked if I had just replaced the seal and not the whole servo.

Back