• Register Today It's free!

Trans trouble

mac attack

Reaction score
City, State
Otsego, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
I have an 02 explorer. Bought it with 88,x.. last year from family. It's now at 121,x.. and the motor blew. It's in good shape so rather than chance another vehicle I decided to put a jasper reman in. Everything was going great for about 5000 miles. Trans went out. I troubleshot as far as finding the pump gone bad. I disconnected the trans cooler line and ran through the gears with no fluid getting pumped out. I guess my question is could it be something besides the pump? Or how difficult is the pump to replace. If while doing the pump would it be ok to just do the pump? As it's the only issue I have had with the pump. Any input would be appreciated. Looking to get her back on the road ASAP, as it is my favorite vehicle I have owned to date. Which seems to be a pretty common trend on the forum! thanks in advance for any input.

If there is no cooler flow with the engine running it would mean the pump is not pumping any fluid, these pumps are known to fail without warning so that would be my first thought. However check the basics first like fluid level and drop the pan to check the filter, anything that might stop the flow of oil the the pump.

The only way to know for sure its the pump is to pull it out take the pump apart, the only way to know if the rest of the transmission is in good shape will mean to completely take the whole transmission apart and inspect it.

Maybe just get the pump out and apart before taking anything else out and inspect the pan for burnt debris, black streaks in the pan would indicate smoked clutches or bands. Make a decision then about what's next.

Its not a difficult transmission to work on but you will have to learn a little about it to get it right.

Back