• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Kick-down issues...

motopsycho650

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I have a '94 4-door, 4wd, automatic and the kick-down in the transmission seems to be acting weird. I have already tried adjusting the kick-down cable a few times. The symptoms change a little, but don't go away.

Basically, while cruising certain speeds, the transmission will shift into too low of a gear, thus bogging the engine. Additionally, it does not want to downshift at appropriate times when slowing down. When it does finally down shift, the shift is jerky and not smooth.

Besides the kick-down cable adjustment, are there any other things I can adjust or try to repair?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure on a fix to your issue but I do know that the kick down only comes into play when you push the throttle to the floor. To me it sounds like you have shifting issues when normally driving. What issues? I don't know.
What does the transmission fluid look and smell like?

No, the kickdown does a lot more than just when you push the throttle to the floor. When you let off the gas, and the truck downshifts, That was the kickdown. When you're heading up the hill, and you push on the gas harder to make it down shift, that was the kickdown too. Almost every time your truck needs to downshift other then just slowing down with the break, the kickdown is in use.

I have these exact same symptoms a little over a year ago and adjusting the kickdown cable solved it. I'm thinking it might be time to replace the kickdown cable.

Not sure, but your vacuum modulator valve on the passenger side of the transmission, behind the heat shield, may have some effect on those issues as well. If you pull the vacuum line off of it, and have transmission fluid in the line, then it's time to replace it.

Back