• Register Today It's free!

Transmission problem

hixx

Reaction score
City, State
athens tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and have a question about my 96 explorer trans problem. It is a 4.0 2wd automatic. It drives fine,shifts fine but wants to start out in 3rd gear. I can manually shift it into 1st and it does fine, Shifts fine once you get it going, When you come to a stop it does not downshift into 1st. If you do not manually shift it into 1st it shudders. Is this a shift solonoid problem or governor problem? I changed the fluid and filter but it did not help. The fluid looked pretty bad but i found no metal particles in it. The vehicle has 110,000 miles on it.
Thanks
Jimmie

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am assuming you have a 4R44E. If so, your case is classic of a SSA solenoid failed off. In OD it will start off in 3rd, and in manual 1st it will start off in 2nd... which you might not notice.

Thanks guys, I will check the solonoids.

Looks like i will be rebuilding this trans afterall. It is flaring a bit going into 3rd.
Thanks for the help guys
Jimmie

PS: Any recommendations on a master kit that has everything i will need? ( with the exception of unknown hard parts etc that are unknown at this point)

Back