• Register Today It's free!

Trimming to fit tires

Mudstang9443

Reaction score
City, State
Nesconset, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
I recently bought a set of terra grapplers from a friend so I bought some wheels for them and when I put them on my truck I wasn't able to turn the steering wheel all the way. I would have to trim some of the bottom of the fender to make them fit. Has anyone done this or have any suggestions? It's a 96 XLT with a tt and shackles done already.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I (literally) just finished trimming to fit my tires.

You can see my trim (and the jig I used to figure out my cuts) here

My tires were large enough that I made substantial cuts into the fender AND bumper.

I (literally) just finished trimming to fit my tires.

You can see my trim (and the jig I used to figure out my cuts) here

My tires were large enough that I made substantial cuts into the fender AND bumper.

What did you use to trim it? And after you cut away the fender were you left with a big hole?

I made the bumper and body panel cuts with a reciprocating saw, but I would recommend using a rotary tool and a cutting disc for much cleaner and accurate cuts.

For the inner fender, an xacto knife was all that was needed.

In my case I will be rebuilding the plastic inner fender, and building new flares to replace the factory trim. If you only need to trim a little, you might not need to do any fabrication.

Body Lift???

Back