• Register Today It's free!

Trouble with acceleration

Mister Christmas

Reaction score
City, State
Lynchburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2006 Ford Explorer with 104,000 miles. Lately I am having trouble starting it on cooler mornings (battery is new and has been checked). Also, when driving it sometimes acts like it is not getting gas and slows down, then will accelerate. About a week ago, it happened and actually cut off. Lights stayed on as well as heat, etc. so not an electrical problem. No dash lights come on. Have taken it to two mechanics. They cannot get it to act up. One thinks fuel pump, another thinks catalytic converter and a friend thinks a throttle issue. Been over a week without a car. Any insight will help.

Welcome to the forum!

Hook up a scan tool, look for misfires and long term fuel trim, and fuel pressure if it shows that. I don't recall if yours has a valve on the fuel rail to check there. Which engine?

Has it ever had the spark plugs changed? If not, it is due for it. At this age I'd also replace the wires.

Welcome to the forum!

Hook up a scan tool, look for misfires and long term fuel trim, and fuel pressure if it shows that. I don't recall if yours has a valve on the fuel rail to check there. Which engine?

Has it ever had the spark plugs changed? If not, it is due for it. At this age I'd also replace the wires.
Thank you for the ideas.

was scanned at mechanics to no avail. No indication of problem.

been about 4 or 5 years since plugs and wires.

Look up VCT solenoid issues. I've never experienced it, but what I've heard sounds similar to what you are describing. Do you have the 4.0 V6 or 4.6 V8?

Back