• Register Today It's free!

Truck will not start IMPORTANT

Stinger357

Reaction score
City, State
Plano, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Eddie
I have an interview in 1 hour I need to be at and my 97 4.0 SOHC v6 will not start. It seems to be turning over ok but just not either getting fuel or a spark. I tried for 20 min. Any idea on how to get it started I need it bad. Computer says I have 2 gallons in the tank and I am also on an incline.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are facing downhill, this may be a problem. Try some more fuel in the tank, or, last resort floor the gas pedal while cranking engine.

Have you had any previous problems? Is the CEL on?

If not probably just the fuel pump pickup can't get any of the gas. Put it in neutral and coast to a flat area and try again. Or if flat areas are too far away put it in neutral and turn sideways on the incline so the truck is level from front to back. It will obviously not be level from side to side.

I used your advise and floored the pedal while trying to start it and it worked!!! So I reved it up and warmed it up and drove it to the nearest gas station and filled it up! I should have never let it get that low with an important interview coming up! Thanks for all your help!

These things always happen when you have an interview - I once locked the keys inside my car 20 minutes before an interview.

Back