Truck won't move unless OD turned off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck won't move unless OD turned off

spitse

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ranger 4x4 ext cab
I have a 2000 Ranger 4X4 3.0 auto (4r44e), electric transfer case. The tranny is giving me fits. It will move under its own power only if the OD is turned off. Reverse will only work, very weak, if I first turn off OD then shift to Drive then back to Reverse. It will shift but very hard and I have to let off the fuel for it to shift

It acts like the EMG brake is on when I try with the OD on, but never moves. It clunks into gear and feels like it will more, but nothing.

Any ideas? I called a tranny shop, they want $1400, basically for a new one, but says there may be a problem with the computer or wiring harness. What should I look for?

I am willing to go to a salvage and swap, but what could I expect for a price? I live in NE Oklahoma, any tips where to look?

THis is not my main vehicle, it is more for play and hunting. I got it for $500 I figure if it becomes too much of a sink hole i can part it out. Straight body, crack free glass and signal housings.

Do you have engine braking in manual 1st gear? Might want to read the 5r55e rebuild diary stickied at the top of the page.

I do have engine breaking in first. I will check out the sticky.

Back