Truckhaven - Thanksgiving 2004 | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truckhaven - Thanksgiving 2004

There will be a full moon Friday night. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man, this sucks. I was so looking forward to this run. I will be there next year though. Have fun and remeber, read my sig:)

RangerX said:
Tom, how bout a reference point on that map! Is that the main wash at the bottom of pic?

We normally camp just above the hills in the lower right corner.

I should be leaving early Friday morning as well, if all works out as planned. My friend with the Zuk is coming out too, and now he is locked up in the rear.

Yes I mean N. Marina, I get those mixed up for some reason.

Can't wait to see everyone.

RangerX said:
There will be a full moon Friday night. :thumbsup:

If you haven't been out there on a full moon, you are in for a real treat. You can see like its daylight.

I am starting the build on my front axle. If it comes together properly and buckets dont try and kill me I maybeable to bring the truck down there. If not I will be bringing the Neon down again and catch a shotgun seat with someone for the day.

Im out. Still stuck in North Dakota for work and wont be able to make it. Hopefully I will be able to make a new years run or the normal run in January. I finally got a truck again and I can't take it wheeling.

The forecast for the rest of the week - Clear, Sunny, and warm!

The bad news? It rained 3" there today. :eek:

:bounce:

yea no crap it rained today.. it also droped 1 foot of snow on me. Yes that is right it snowed in 29 palms. I took some pics :) and will get them in my gallery soon.. Cant wait till friday, too bad my truck is not in any shape to drive down thier. I will be down for a day though.

tdavis said:
The forecast for the rest of the week - Clear, Sunny, and warm!

The bad news? It rained 3" there today. :eek:

:bounce:
Yeah, but what about WIND!? Last time I thought our tent was going to turn into a large kite!

(BTW, we have an icon for rollovers :roll: , how about a new icon for side "flops")

Brother_of_Jefe said:
(BTW, we have an icon for rollovers :roll: , how about a new icon for side "flops")
That'd be good. . that way us rollover posse members can have ranking icons in our signatures. Of course then that would mean that John would need a Jeep 'kickstand' icon also. :D

Now we need an upside down Mach 1 icon for Chars sig. You guys have fun. I'll see ya at Moab.

Brother_of_Jefe said:
Yeah, but what about WIND!? Last time I thought our tent was going to turn into a large kite!

Forecast had some wind in it.. now it says "light" winds. Hopefully, that means under 5mph..

Otherwise, it looks like it will be clear, bright (both day and night), warm during the day and cold at night.

If everyone brings wood, we should be fine. :D

Because some one asked...

For the photo below: The x is where we normally camp if you look at the bottom photo you would be looking west-Northwest or in the sat photo to left hand corner. The main road (S86)would be off the page on the right

12287T-map.jpg

12287nice_view-med.jpg

Sorry I've lookd at a lot of these maps for fun...I love terraserver :D (LA area now in color! :thumbsup: )

can somebody give me a recap of directions on the easiest way to get there from the 10? I know I head to Blythe and then south on a winding road where I found some crazy teens with their car upside down on a dust blown over road at about 1:30 A.M. last time I made it there. Any plans for what time the run starts on Friday? I'm thinking heading Friday before dawn.

You want easy, then don't turn off in Blythe. Keep going on the 10 west to Indio. You want the 86 south, but I'm not sure on the exit. You'll stay on 86 all the way to Truckhaven. Turn right on North Marina Drive. It's 2 miles before the 86/S22 junction. Go down N. marina til you see the Ex's and Ranger!

Stic-o said:
Sorry I've lookd at a lot of these maps for fun...I love terraserver :D (LA area now in color! :thumbsup: )

Yea, Terraserver is cool, esp. when you use the program USAPhotoMaps. I also found that by combining that with OziExplorer, I've got a pretty good set of sat images, topo images, and GPS information, all in one place.

RangerX said:
You want easy, then don't turn off in Blythe. Keep going on the 10 west to Indio. You want the 86 south, but I'm not sure on the exit. You'll stay on 86 all the way to Truckhaven. Turn right on North Marina Drive. It's 2 miles before the 86/S22 junction. Go down N. marina til you see the Ex's and Ranger!

Close. I-10 to the first Indio/Coachella/Loves/AM-PM truckstop(s), get off, turn left under the Interstate, and go about 1/4 mile to 86S. Turn Left onto 86S, and head on down. The way that Rick takes is at the exit for Joshua Tree National Park, you go south instead of north, and that leads you down hwy 195 into Mecca. From there, you hit 86S and head on down south.

Dannyboy - We probably will head out 9/10am and play nearby, and come back to camp around noon for lunch and to pick anyone up who has showed up. As for CB channel - hmm.. Bill, what your CB is still broken, and can't do channel 1, correct? How about channel 5?

Okay, there is one guy from AZ with a orange explorer that has informed me of truck trouble and might not make it, if thats the case, it looks like I'm the only one. I can't find any cactus to burn, but I'll try to find some wood and be there by 9 am. I remember marina drive so I should be able to find it with those directions.

Hopefully I'm still invited to represent AZ.

RangerX, is it warm enough to heat burritos off your dashboard at this time of year? Jenny and I got a kick out of that last time I was there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

weather for Indio:
Tonight
Mostly clear. Lows 41 to 48. Light winds.

Friday
Mostly sunny. Highs 71 to 77. Light winds.
Detail
Friday Night
Mostly clear in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Lows 43 to 50. Light winds.

Saturday
Partly cloudy in the morning...then clearing. Highs 71 to 77. Light winds.
Detail
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy in the evening then becoming mostly cloudy. Lows 46 to 51.

Sunday
Partly cloudy. Slight chance of showers in the morning. Highs 62 to 69.

Back