Turbo size for 4.0 sohc | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turbo size for 4.0 sohc

i'm going to turbo my Sport Trac and i have been looking at turbos. i am thinking of getting a 5.9 cummins turbo because i don't want it to spool to fast and i only want to run 5psi at 5k rpm. will the 4.0 push that turbo or would i be better off with a T3 T4 turbo? i am going to upgrade to 24lb injectors and lower the spark plugs 1 temp lower. also i will be getting a SCT Eliminator Single / Multi-Program Switch Chip. i am going to run two programs, one with turbo one without turbo. i'm hoping it will be a little like a street sleeper. help me figure it out turbo guys. :roll:

Also would it be worth the effort to dial in the cams?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a quote from another Jeep guy with a 4.0
"Sorry to bring back a thread from the dead, but I just wanted to add that my cheap $130 ebay turbo (T04E 57trim, 63a/r exhaust) has been flawless for over two years of daily driving (30,000 miles) on my 95 ZJ. Also, the turbo is matched to the 4.0l perfectly. Minimal lag, and makes power to red line with ease. Ive been running 10lbs of boost on my bone stock 4.0l with 240,000 miles with only one issue. The stock head gasket went after 10,000 miles with the turbo. I put a Cometic MLS head gasket in and never had an issue since. "

Here's a quote from another Jeep guy with a 4.0
"Sorry to bring back a thread from the dead, but I just wanted to add that my cheap $130 ebay turbo (T04E 57trim, 63a/r exhaust) has been flawless for over two years of daily driving (30,000 miles) on my 95 ZJ. Also, the turbo is matched to the 4.0l perfectly. Minimal lag, and makes power to red line with ease. Ive been running 10lbs of boost on my bone stock 4.0l with 240,000 miles with only one issue. The stock head gasket went after 10,000 miles with the turbo. I put a Cometic MLS head gasket in and never had an issue since. "

not $130 with internal waste gate. LOL

[MENTION=121561]Caejxr[/MENTION] seems to be very happy with his turbo, and its on a 4.0 also. Hopefully he chimes in on his experiences as he gets it tuned. The t3/t4 sounds like a winning turbo for that displacement. Read thru his thread.

[MENTION=121561]Caejxr[/MENTION] seems to be very happy with his turbo, and its on a 4.0 also. Hopefully he chimes in on his experiences as he gets it tuned. The t3/t4 sounds like a winning turbo for that displacement. Read thru his thread.
I already been reading it.to much tech talk. Not enough doing.

I already been reading it.to much tech talk. Not enough doing.

The doing is happening I've probably driven it more than I should have to this point to work and back, the parts store. all highway 70+ mph. and a little off road to a hiking spot I like, etc. I'm just not made of money so it's not all happening at once. :dunno:

I can say that the T3T4 I have is in the ball park of what it sounds like your looking for. Depending on load you can get the engine in boost before 2500 and even though I shouldn't have with how lean I was.. it pushes boost past 4500 I didn't push it much past that but according to the flow chart for the impeller (in my thread) it should hold through 5000rpm. Take it or leave it. Works for me:D

The doing is happening I've probably driven it more than I should have to this point to work and back, the parts store. all highway 70+ mph. and a little off road to a hiking spot I like, etc. I'm just not made of money so it's not all happening at once. :dunno:

I can say that the T3T4 I have is in the ball park of what it sounds like your looking for. Depending on load you can get the engine in boost before 2500 and even though I shouldn't have with how lean I was.. it pushes boost past 4500 I didn't push it much past that but according to the flow chart for the impeller (in my thread) it should hold through 5000rpm. Take it or leave it. Works for me:D

Are you running gt25, 30 or 35? What size would yours be considered? I don't want boost at cruising speed because I don't want to watch my fuel gauge drop in front of my eyes.I'm just looking for boost for passing assholes. Lol

Turbine is smaller at .42 ar which is why it spools early but the compressor itsself in size is closer to a GT35 if I am not mistaken. I don't have boost at cruise it sits between 0 and 12 hg. It will go into boost when the pedal goes down. Going up hills in cruise it will hit between 1 and 3lbs Accelerating in cruise it will too. Down shift and put the pedal down it will hit full boost pretty quick.

Turbine is smaller at .42 ar which is why it spools early but the compressor itsself in size is closer to a GT35 if I am not mistaken. I don't have boost at cruise it sits between 0 and 12 hg. It will go into boost when the pedal goes down. Going up hills in cruise it will hit between 1 and 3lbs Accelerating in cruise it will too. Down shift and put the pedal down it will hit full boost pretty quick.

What kind of tuner you using? I was planning using sct tuner that holds up to 5 tunes. It's only like $195.

I've already got an SCT X3 from my manual trans/tcase swap so I'll use that. I think it cost about the same as what your looking at when I got it. I'm pretty sure it also holds 5.

You decide what way to go with your project?

I think I might go with a 35 but not sure. Wanting to see what others put on and how fast they spool. Does anyone have an experience with these?
SCT Eliminator Single / Multi-Program Switch Chip

Part Number: 6600
SCT Eliminator Single / Multi-Program Switch Chip
Single or Multi-Program Chip
Easily switch between tune files
Installs in minutes
Vehicle Anti-theft mode built-in
Perfect for Nitrous or Towing Applications
Mountable Switch Panel
Save on fuel costs
Custom Tuning Worldwide!
SCT Eliminator Single / Multi-Program Switch Chiphttp://www.sctflash.com/products.php?PID=31&VID=477

If I am running 5 to 6 psi on turbo do you think 24lb injectors will be enough? I really don't want to kill my fuel mileage.I am hoping even with bigger injectors I can get it tuned for better mileage. I'll be running two totally different systems with the way I want to build this. One without turbo and one with the turbo.

If I am running 5 to 6 psi on turbo do you think 24lb injectors will be enough? I really don't want to kill my fuel mileage.I am hoping even with bigger injectors I can get it tuned for better mileage. I'll be running two totally different systems with the way I want to build this. One without turbo and one with the turbo.

Talking with James Henson on mine he's recommending 42lb Injectors which I've read before also. He's saying the 36lb ones I have are going to be cutting it close.

Talking with James Henson on mine he's recommending 42lb Injectors which I've read before also. He's saying the 36lb ones I have are going to be cutting it close.

how many pounds of boost are you going to be at max boost? Are you running a better fuel pump also?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how many pounds of boost are you going to be at max boost? Are you running a better fuel pump also?

7lbs. I'm running a 190lph walbro. Being told that it's enough.

Back