Turdle and Gmanpaint's Rock Slider Build Thread | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turdle and Gmanpaint's Rock Slider Build Thread

You pick up the weirdest Critters in the woods!

These things just jumped out of the woods and attached themselves to my rig! :p:

What are they, baby big foot's? Looks like a Slim Jim commercial-with hair cuts

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Or one of those pics you see of buses in India and such. :p:

"Seats were at premium at the SMORR event, as show by this picture. They held on until we started hitting some 4s and 5s."

:D

Hmm, those look pretty good, I could use a set also now?

Im in for a set as well!

Here is what is in the idea phase, let me have feedback please.

The best option is for these to be set up as an installed mod. We'd need your truck here, you will roll away with powder coated sliders. Since they have to be fit to a truck anyway this is the best option for all of us.

We are working on a price, but considering this isn't a jigged up manufacturing process, it will be kinda high. Prepare for around 600.00 per set, maybe even a bit higher by the time they are finished.

Here is what is in the idea phase, let me have feedback please.

I completly agree with everything. I tried shipping some sliders once and the shipping cost was more than I was selling them for and they were lighter duty then these.

What size is the Rectangle used and how thick?, also what size round and how thick? I read the whole thread and did not see, but may have missed it.

Thanx Turdle, Im gonna get medal and build a set kinda like them for my EX

wow those look nice guys.... i might have to give y'all some business!

I need to get or make some of them bad. Really nice work, I was debating on how to build mine and I think I have decided thanks.

Update

...................UPDATE..........................

It has been months now and these sliders have been wheeling in the midwest at Smorr, the trails in Moab, and the Mountain passes in Colorado.

I am happy to say they look as good as the day they were installed. I have used them to get over obstacles, they have have taken direct hits from a fall off an obstacle, and have weathered extreme elements. The only maintenance I have yet to do to them is wash them off with a water hose.

These have saved my rockers from damage plenty of times. They are nice to use as a pivot point to get around rocks and tree stumps as well. These are still the best MOD that has been done to the rig IMHO.

I use them for a jack point with my highlift. I also use them with jackstands to hold the rig suspended. Great ease of highlift & stand placement. No more searching for a place for them, just place them wherever you please along these sliders.

Getting in & out of the rig with them is just a small bonus, but really helps. I highly suggest getting these Rock Sliders done to your rig for off roading.

Set up an appointment with Turdle, get to KS, and have them installed ASAP! Don't delay PM today!!

Aw, c'mon, man! I thought it was funny. :scratch:

Just wish we could have made the last SMORR trip! :(

Still selling these?

CMAX

I hope you guys don't mind a flood of questions:

How is the powder coat holding up on rock scrapes?
What kind of prep work was done to insure a good solid bond b/t the metal and the coating?
Do you guys think that the coating is better/stronger than Herculiner?
Did you guys use grade 8 bolts to go over the frame rails?

And finally, theoretically, how much would a pair of those cost for a 1st Gen X? A rough estimate is fine by me, I'm just looking for a ball-park figure.

(and where in Kansas? :D)

i am interested ,and those are some good lookin tig welds:thumbsup:, i have a very nice millermatic 130:thumbsup::thumbsup: i used on my almost finished tube bumper but i can't use it in my garage and the wind tends to blow out all the c-25 (inert gas mixture of argon and cO2) and my welds don't turn out so clean.:rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok now it's my turn Gman

Back