turning rock lights into puddle lamps too? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

turning rock lights into puddle lamps too?

So now that my SAS is pretty muck done, I've decided to hook my rock lights back up. However I want to hook up the rock lights under the doors to light up when I open the doors. I normally have 5 rock lights. Two under the headlights, two under the b pillar/doors, and one where the spare tire use to be. I don't have puddle lamps stock on my truck (it a XL :rolleyes: )

Would the wiring for the puddle lamps be there already?
Do I just tap into the interior lighting?
If so, will that work with the dimmer ?
If so,will it be too much power on the system running 2) 55w rock lights off the interior light system?
With the puddle/rock lights on will it effect them or turn them off by turning on the rest of the rock lights?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wiring is probably not there as most mfg.s save where ever they can.
If you have the rock lights wired useing a relay as the switch then yes you can use the interior wiring to activate/switch the rock lights on.
The rock lights wont dim if they are run through the relays. If you dont have relays the dimmer switch will be toast.
If you want the rock lights to be able to work as puddle lights and be able to turn them on seperatly, without the interior lights going on you will need to wire in a 3 way switch so you can use two circuts.

Here is how I want it to work...

Rock lights are on a seperate switch on the dash. When the doors open though I want the only the two middle lights to come on. Although it would probally be easier if all 5 of them came on I guess.

So rock lights would turn on idependenly. do they make double ellement H3 bulb? :confused:

You need a relay and a 3 way TPTT switch, If you want only two to come on you will need another switch to control the rest of them.

hahahahahahahahahahaha oh thats awesome
I thought my yellow reverse light coming on with the stock reverse lights was annoying to others (but handy on the trial and the boat ramp) but geesh two big ass lights coming on when you open the doors? Classic!!

I could make it work, but you need to have those two lights on a seperate relay and switch (no problem) then have the stock door switch wire (dome light, door panel lights) act as the + feed for your relay as well as the switch to control the lights running to the switch for your relay.

Then the relay will switch the lights on when it gets a power signal from either source, or both.

410Fortune said:
hahahahahahahahahahaha oh thats awesome
I thought my yellow reverse light coming on with the stock reverse lights was annoying to others (but handy on the trial and the boat ramp) but geesh two big ass lights coming on when you open the doors? Classic!!

What..... :dunno: There only 55 watt lights :D

I have 4 cheap HF lights. 2 in the bed and 2 under the cab. All come on with the dome light. Yes wire them into a relay. You could do just the 2 but it would take alot more wiring and another relay.

lights026.jpg

so no 3 way switch need correct? I'm really happy with the switchs I'm running now. I kept burning up the old ones. But what do I want when I have 2) 100 watt lights on the front and 5) 55 watt rock lights all off the same fuse and 2 switchs. :rolleyes:

I use to melt fuses all the time too until I went to a mega fuse. :D

okay so annoying is the wrong word, how about gets noticed, or head turning orjust different!

Not like I care, hell that yellow light has been shining straight back from my BII for like 4 years every time I hit reverse

You need a 3 way if you want to be able to have the lights set to on, off, and on with the interior lights, kind if like a large dome light switch.

410Fortune said:
okay so annoying is the wrong word, how about gets noticed, or head turning orjust different!

Not like I care, hell that yellow light has been shining straight back from my BII for like 4 years every time I hit reverse

It's better then them blinking everytime you shift :rolleyes: That what happend to my '85 ranger when the back-up switch in the trans got screwed up. :(

Ok almost got this to work. I just want to go over what I did and see I'm missing anything.

Got a relay from pep boys. On the NC side i hooked one line tapped into the interior lights and the other to a ground. Then on the NO side I hooked it up to one side power from the battery and the other to the two middle rock lights. Then I turned on the switch at the interior. The lights came on, but then my wire running from the relay to the light got very hot and started melting the wire in about 2 seconds :eek: . Not wanting to burn my truck to the ground I turned it off. I'm pretty sure I just had too thin of wire running to the lights, but though I'd see if I'm doing any thing else wrong. :rolleyes:

410Fortune said:

A friend of mine had a ch**y 4X4 that was an automatic colum shift. It screwed up and he put a floor shift on it. He left the backup lights on the column though. I have seen him go down the highway and a tailgater would get behind him. He would shift the column shift into reverse. His backup lights would come on and they would lock up their brakes. They didn't tailgate him again. :bsnicker:

Brian_B said:
A friend of mine had a ch**y 4X4 that was an automatic colum shift. It screwed up and he put a floor shift on it. He left the backup lights on the column though. I have seen him go down the highway and a tailgater would get behind him. He would shift the column shift into reverse. His backup lights would come on and they would lock up their brakes. They didn't tailgate him again. :bsnicker:

That funny, on the S60 it has rear fog lights, but they are as bright as the brake lights, so when ever you have a tailgater, you just push the button, and it looks like your hitting the brakes :D

Brian_B said:

That's not too smart, also illegal in any every state.
to have white lights in the back of a forward moving vehicle.
I could just drive up to his vehicle and "Rear-End" him,
and say he backed into me. The cop looks and sees the
reverse lights on and agrees with me. Enuff said. :eek:

Nasty350LT1 said:
That's not too smart, also illegal in any every state.
to have white lights in the back of a forward moving vehicle.
I could just drive up to his vehicle and "Rear-End" him,
and say he backed into me. The cop looks and sees the
reverse lights on and agrees with me. Enuff said. :eek:

I never said it was smart or legal. All vehicles have back up lights though (well after a certain year they did-my 56 does not). I doubt anyone would have intentionaly rear ended him. It was lifted pretty high and had a huge rear bumper. He did not leave the lights on and drive around. He turned them on just long enough to stop the stupid tailgaters (which is illegal too).

Anyway, I just thought it was funny and fit into this thread. Not trying to start any arguments. :)

Back