Turtle power! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turtle power!

My truck feels like a turtle.
I have installed all the performance mods I can get my hands on and my truck still performs sluggish and runs slow. My wifes Civic seem to run faster than my truck and hers is all stock. So far ive added: K&N CAI, Pro-M maf, BBK TB, JBA headers, Jet Chip, Jba plug wires, Bosch 4 plugs, Optima Red Top, Installed the "Big 3", regeared my truck from 3.27 to 3.73's, and run synthetic throuh out and I still feel like a turtle(Slow). What is the problem. Then I have this whining noise coming from the engine compartment. I feel like I wasted all my money on this truck to get get no performance at all. I just dont know what to do at this point. im kind of scared to drop another dime on this truck......Is there something that im not doing. Please help before I drive my self into a wall.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm assuming you have the 4.0? If so just accept the fact that you don't have a sports car, you have a big old station wagon. If you wanna go fast, time to get another car.

cam and a chip. That jet chip does you nothing. You need an actual dyno tune. We talked about a cam before, your on the right track. Then get BLOWN!

Ditch the jet chip. Thats probably taking away power.

you must also realize your wifes stock civic has power of not much less than your truck that weighs 2X as much... my sister has a 99 civic ex, it has the 1.6l vtec, but sohc (120hp) ... i can easily chirp second gear on dry pavement

Yeah I gues all of you is correct. I just have to except that I have a rolling mass of concrete. I guess weight reduction is the key. Then ill get a 410 cam and SCT flasher.
What all do I need to install the cam? I have the link for the cam, i just need the other parts associated with the install.
Note: I took the Jet chip out and the truck do seem to perform a little better.

I am very pleased with my flasher from Doug (great guy to deal with) at Bamma chips. I can tell it made quite a bit of difference just on its own. Otherwise I am stock.

I didn't know there were cams available. Would you mind posting the link?

OOPS! I didn't realize you had the OHV one. I knew those cams existed. LOL I thought maybe there was some new thing out for the SOHC ones. (wishful thinking).

Brian_B said:
OOPS! I didn't realize you had the OHV one. I knew those cams existed. LOL I thought maybe there was some new thing out for the SOHC ones. (wishful thinking).

Have any one on the site swap there stock cam to the 410 version. I just want to know is it worth the time and money. Also the power gains.

Back