UGH! At my wits end here! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

UGH! At my wits end here!

TexasJenn

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
My 93 EX is giving me problems. I love her to death but dammit what is wrong with her?! Since October I have been having gas/loss of any umphf. I have replaced the MAF THREE FREAKING TIMES because everytime I take her in to get a diagnostic done that's what they say is wrong. Other than taking her straight to a FORD dealership and paying out the azz to have her looked at I'm totally lost. I don't want to next her because I really can't afford to and like I said I love her. The last place I took her said they tested the fuel pump and got nothing with that as well as the O2 sensor. Any advice?

This is what the last paper read:

102 ENG0 Code PO158/629/566/172/177 performed all diagnostics and all points to defective mass air flow sensor customer just replaced part and recommeded return for replacement part and recheck.

Well...I did replace it and still having the same freaking issues. HELP!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem in my '91. I didn't go to a mechanic or anything though. I would check your spark plugs or air filter. It sounds very similar to my problem. I gave my beast some new plugs and wires and it turned into a completely different truck.

I had the same problem in my '91. I didn't go to a mechanic or anything though. I would check your spark plugs or air filter. It sounds very similar to my problem. I gave my beast some new plugs and wires and it turned into a completely different truck.

Changed out the plugs and wires back in October when this whole mess started. Haven't changed the air filter in a while though. Do you think that would trip up the sensor? My aunt thinks there's a fuse somewhere that's trippin. We checked the fuse box under the hood, but my friend said there's also one under my dash. Would that affect anything?

I would change the filter. It might also be an O2 sensor. You can take it to Autozone and have them run a test on your X. They can tell you if you have a bad sensor.

Autozone can't test mine because it's not a '95 or newer and I've already had TWO diagnostics run on it ($50 & $90). The last guy said he did test the O2 sensor and it's in good shape. Guess I'll change the air filter and mark that off the list.

Wow! I'm pretty much at the end of my knowledge after all of that. Possible bad wiring to the MAF? Do you have a Haynes manual?

Did you try re-setting the computer yet? (disconnecting the negative battery cable). Anytime you mess with the MAF, you have to re-set the computer.

Is that list of numbers the trouble codes they pulled? It's a nice list, but it isn't complete without knowing which codes are KOEO, CM, and KOER or even knowing if they performed a complete set of self-tests.

In the past, how thoroughly did they diagnose the problem before they told you the MAF was bad? All too often, people pull codes and start replacing parts. Codes by themselves can't tell you which part is bad. They only tell you where to start looking for the problem. If this is the diagnostic "strategy" you and your technician are using, then you will sometimes get this kind of, "replaced X and it didn't fix the problem" because X isn't the problem. In short, codes point to problems in circuits, of which the sensor is only one part.

Are you up to trying to learn some of this yourself? A paper clip is all that is required to run the self-tests/pull codes on your '93. We have three sticky threads here (one at the top of the Under the Hood forum, and the other two at the top of the EEC-IV sub-forum) that describe the test procedure. If not, you need to find someone to pull codes and report them along with which part of the test they came from.

SOP with EEC-IV is to resolve KOEO codes first, so the first thing we really need to know is which of those codes came from the first part of the KOEO test.

I'd be willing to bet it's NOT the air filter. Unless it is really caked with crud.

Did you swap the fuel filter?
Are the plugs gapped correctly?
Even though you were told the o2 is ok, did you clean it with brake cleaner?

Don't junk her yet!

I have a '94 X, I started having issues:loss of power, bad gas mileage, sometimes no start(but engine would turn over/no fire). I could even floor the pedal and go about three MPH, sometmes it would blow white smoke, sometimes black smoke; it was crazy because at other times it would run great. I changed the ignition module, did tuneup after tuneup(plugs and wires, fuel filters) and got no where. Finally, after checking sensors, exhaust, etc. I took it to a friend of mine and he fixed it. He did a diagnostic, relied on some former history of another 1st gen Explorer...he changed the EDIS. In all, parts, labor, diagnostic, and towing it came out to 847.00. I know it's a lot, but I love my X and it's cheaper in the long run than a new vehicle. There's really nothing out there that I like anyway. I know he used a used EDIS to help figure out the issue. Knowing that you might be able to go to a salvage yard and find a replacement.

I'm a car guy, but never heard of an EDIS.
What is it?

I still haven't figured out what is wrong with her. I talked to my mechanic guy that did the diagnostic testing and he told me to bring her in and he will test again at no charge since I've replaced the part and keep getting the same results. He's going to have his buddy at Ford send him a MAF from the manufacturer and put it on and test it then to see if I got another bad part of if it is something else and not the MAF.

On a happy note (somewhat)....I did have to NEXT her....this week I bought a 2005 Ford Escape. I LOVE HER!!

EDIS = Electronic Direct Ignition System (or something to that effect). Basically it refers to the kind of ignition that the 4.0 uses: coil packs to directly fire the spark plugs, rather than using a distributor.

A new coil pack fixes alot of the problems listed, as do new spark plugs wires. My suggestion would be to stop with the diagnostics and paying to be told the same thing over and over again. If you replace the MAF/MAS 3 times already and theres still a lack of power, that isn't the problem, and you're just throwing money away to be told it's the same part and you need to buy another one. The free stuff is another story, that could be some help.

What plugs/wires did you replace with? Did you replace them before this started or did this problem happen before the plugs and wires were changed? Has the fuel filter ever been replaced? Motorcraft plugs, good wires, a new fuel filter, these are relatively cheap things to eliminate possible sources of the problem, even if you have to buy the tools to get to and remove the fuel filter. Even buying a new coil pack or getting a good one from the for sale forum on here would be better than paying for one diagnostic after another with no end in sight. Plus it's also a good excuse to drop some dough on new parts that probably need replacing after 150,000 miles anyway.

Back