"Ultimate" 1st Gen SAS Kit?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Ultimate" 1st Gen SAS Kit??

Creager said:
it should cost less then 2 grand. And there should be weldable kits and bolt on kits. a little of everything.
That is way too cheap to sell a kit like this for. Especially with a dana 60! Have you seen the price of a good dana 60 lately? Many that I have seen for a GOOD axle are about $1000-1200 OBO!?!?! Plus the cost of coils, gears, r/a, fab work, and all of the other little things. It would definitely be over $2000.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes a well built 60 is gonna run you almost 2k alone thats with shafts, joints, gears and a locker. Trust me I am trying to find a 44 or a 60 to build for my SAS and they are hard to come by and not cheap.

A SAS kit is an awesome idea. I've been toying with the idea of doing a SAS for about a year now, but just don't have the confidence to actually do it.

It's fine to have some welding done, but it might be a good idea to be able to have it bolt all up. Then someone who didn't have the welding know how would be able to drive it somewhere to get it welded. Kind of like most of the radius arm brackets for most of the lifts out there. If it is possible for that to be done that is.

Most places charge 4-6 grand to do a SAS and that is with the buyer having to supply the axle. I think a kit between 3-6 grand with the axle (price dependent on axle type) would be an awesome deal. I would buy one in a hearbeat.

Pahelo

LMAO. Oh January '04. I coulda swore this was started in January '05. Well, better late than never. Hehe

Pahelo

bmxking5 said:
That is way too cheap to sell a kit like this for. Especially with a dana 60! Have you seen the price of a good dana 60 lately? Many that I have seen for a GOOD axle are about $1000-1200 OBO!?!?! Plus the cost of coils, gears, r/a, fab work, and all of the other little things. It would definitely be over $2000.

coils gears radius arms. if you were the company building this. more than likley you would be doing all the work yourself. Gears wouldnt be more then 100-200 bucks... ect, it would cost less than a grand to build it.

I'd buy :thumbsup: just keep the base price reasonable with options available.

:chug: :chug:

i agree with JGamble. practical with a lot-o-options

sounds like a lot, but its really not =)

i mean give me something that i cant get already, ya know?

Creager said:
coils gears radius arms. if you were the company building this. more than likley you would be doing all the work yourself. Gears wouldnt be more then 100-200 bucks... ect, it would cost less than a grand to build it.
I know that they'd be building it...it takes a lot of time though. They wouldn't put tons of hours of work into this to sell it for just over what they put into it.

What about 4 link front and rear? Would it realy be that hard to make? For the rear, you are talking about 4 drag links(?), a panhard bar, misc bracketry, coils, perches and coil buckets right. Please correct me if I missed something. If I had the equipment, I would be in the garage right now. My wife said I could buy the stuff, but that is womanian for go ahead and you'll hear for the rest of your life. I would like to try this someday.

a four link in a box with brackets to bolt on or weld on
should come with weld on brackets to fit a waggy or ford D44 housing
keep it simple and have options of coil over mounts or regular 5" coil's.. possibly retaining most of the factory coil bucket

a D60 tube is close to a D44 tube so adding some radius to a few brackets should be easy enuff

a full width housing and a EB housing should both allow factory coil bucket locations depending on where you weld the brackets to the new housings tube

shipping costs will be HUGE if they include a diff... sorry not gunna happen
purchase cost will be 5g's if they include a diff.... dont want that to happen
price should be $1500+-

kit should include
spring's
shocks
shock mounts
4 link arm's and new crossmember
brake line's
weld on 4 link axle tube brackets
steering

options for the above
choice of standard or premium shock's

EXTREAM KIT
all of the above except to include coil overs to customers spec's
coilover towers and brace
price will be a grand more no doubt

hahahaha high hopes er what huh :D

Hotweels said:
kit should include
spring's
shocks
shock mounts
4 link arm's and new crossmember
brake line's
weld on 4 link axle tube brackets
steering

options for the above
choice of standard or premium shock's
I like the idea of a four link kit. :thumbsup: But, I would leave out the shocks, or leave them as an optional upgrade. There are a lot of options out there in regards to shocks, and that should be left to the buyer, not what a kit manufacturer would provide. I would also leave the brake lines as an option, since brake lines seem to sell for $$$$, while they can often be made to spec locally cheaper. Steering would also have to be on an optional upgrade scale also, since there are multiple tube sizes/strengths and ends (TREs/heims) that could be used.

A VERY basic kit (made for standard, easily available coil sizes), plus a couple of upgrade options would be nice!! :D

Well, as great as a first gen kit would be, it doesnt help me or the other second gens out. i of course realize the market is much smaller on the second gens, i just hope that by the time i want to SAS theres a kit available. If i was looking for a kit(if they were available that is) no matter if i had a 1st or 2nd gen, i would look for:
The upgrade idea with mix and match components.
Your choice of a dana 30, 44 or 60 (depending on needs and budget)
Your choice of leaf springs or coil overs.
Shocks sold seperately.
as far as the bolt on or welding goes, watch Trucks! with stacy when he puts a kit on a truck. he bolts it on and then he welds it on. i like that idea.
and as far as price goes, obviously that would vary from the selected kit options, but it should range from 2k for the d30 kit, to probly 3.5 - 4k(or more) for the d60 kit. 2k is steep, but now if you think that its a complete kit and you dont have to worry about not having anything. and a company wont make/sell a kit if they dont think they can profit off it.

whats that old sayin?
all show, no go?!?!
the idea behind FST building a kit is it's not going to be a pair of radius arm's and a track bar tossed in a box and thats about all that kit in the link is... sure theres some fancy brackets and that 18" long trac bar look's like it would turn yer rig into a ramp champ (hehehehehe) but i found all my SFA parts at a wreckers and dident cost me no 2g's and IMHO i ended up with a superior product then they are sellin....

a second gen kit is a very realistic possibility......

bumpin this thread up cuz I like the idea... even tho I've already started my SAS, I, of course, ran out of money before I was finished haha.
anyway, what I think should be sold in an SAS kit:
bracketry (rad arm mounts, x-member for rad arm mounts, tracbar mount, etc)
coils
shocks (optional)
trac-bar (optional)
steering (optional)
optional heim joint mounts for the rad arms
optional heim-jointed rad arms
even a replacement engine x-member (to keep from having to hack the stock one) would be nice

that's all there really is too it.. but then again, it's 2:30am and I'm tired so I who knows if I missed anything haha

i want, i want, i want

Rick, I hope there is enough interest to get this going. If you have enough people how long after you commision them would it take to get this out. I know they would have to tool-up and everything else. Buy summer of 06?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Face it, this isn't going anywhere. The thread has been up for a year and a half and there are only 2 pages of replies.

Sorry... but it's not easy to find products to make for this site. Too many people want custom and dirt cheap. Those don't go together unless you do it yourself or know someone to do it for you.

Back