Unknown wiring harness elements at master cylinder | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Unknown wiring harness elements at master cylinder

Very interesting reading: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2007/RCRIT-07V336-8625.pdf

It seems to be 3 types of different switches. The original faulty one, a replacement that matches your description and a second wave of parts that seems to be like the one offered in amazon. Or maybe I'm not understanding it correctly. Anyway, this document doesn't list my year and model as an affected vehicle, even when the Ford recall page does.

@pepehuertars,

Cruise Control/Speed Control Deactivation Switch

If you have cruise control, here's a link to what you have to replace,
MOTORCRAFT SW6350, sold by Rock Auto:

LINK: 1996 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L V6 Cruise Control Release Switch | RockAuto

5% Discount Code: 1191391E850C2F
Expires: April 23, 2019

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers.

1L1Z9F924AA-FRO__ra_p.jpg

1L1Z9F924AA-BAC__ra_p.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very interesting reading: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2007/RCRIT-07V336-8625.pdf

It seems to be 3 types of different switches. The original faulty one, a replacement that matches your description and a second wave of parts that seems to be like the one offered in amazon. Or maybe I'm not understanding it correctly. Anyway, this document doesn't list my year and model as an affected vehicle, even when the Ford recall page does.

I often find that the fitment/comparability tables on Amazon and eBay can't be trusted. I'd go by whatever Ford (or RockAuto's on-line catalog) says.

Do you have the recall info? I'm wondering if my 96 Sport is affected. I'm like 20 years late :angryfire:

You can fix that yourself, either by getting a recall harness kit etc, or cutting and installing as fuse in the power wire going to that MC sensor. Most parts stores sell inline fuse holders, a short length of wire with a fuse holder built into it. If the links to the recall stuff mentions the fuse size, that's all you need to be able to buy one yourself and install it. If the old sensor leaks, then the fuse will stop a fire from starting.

Fuse size = 3 amp spade ..automotive..fuses

Two fuses one per wire

Fuse size = 3 amp spade ..automotive..fuses

Two fuses one per wire

Two fuses, interesting. The circuit is one single path isn't it, so only the power wire needs a fuse, unless the connectors are symmetrical? I wonder if the circuit grounds through the MC.

From what I was told it doesn't matter if you have cruise control or not. This still needs to be done. JP was never fixed, and doesn't have cruise (XL). I pulled one from a doner that needs to go on.

I think there were other models with this issue if the same era. I think my super duty was part of it too.

From what I was told it doesn't matter if you have cruise control or not. This still needs to be done. JP was never fixed, and doesn't have cruise (XL). I pulled one from a doner that needs to go on.

I think there were other models with this issue if the same era. I think my super duty was part of it too.

Ditto, it was a whole long run of the same sensors during several model years. The sensors in question all have red tops, which I think was kind of unique, most before and since have not been red on top. The material used was a poor choice and over a long time began to let go in a small few. Any fluid leaking accumulates on the top, and if the seal breaks all the way to the wires inside, then it shorts and often creates a fire of the brake fluid etc. It's a safe bet to change the sensor if it is red on top.

Two fuses, interesting. The circuit is one single path isn't it, so only the power wire needs a fuse, unless the connectors are symmetrical? I wonder if the circuit grounds through the MC.
I'm not sure why they put one fuse per wire

I did pull back the convoluted tubing back on the recall harness and take a look

I was sitting in front of my puter one evening when I heard a "FOOM"

I kinda ignored it but then the fire siren sounded so I went outside to check with the neighbor where he was going, since he's a volunteer.
His Ford truck was engulfed in flames, and the fire had already spread to his wifes minivan sitting next to it in there rear driveway. He was frantically trying to get his extermination equipment out of the bed of the truck. I unwound my garden hose and started sprayung over the fence but man it was hot hot.
Bad deal. Both vehicles were totalled before the fire dept could get here.

so then 2 weeks to the day later he gets the brake switch recall letter.

For those who ignored the recall.....
Pathetic how firemen dragged their feet upon arrival....seen this before with firemen.... job security no matter what I guess...

I often find that the fitment/compatibility tables on Amazon and eBay can't be trusted. I'd go by whatever Ford (or RockAuto's on-line catalog) says.

For those who ignored the recall.....
Pathetic how firemen dragged their feet upon arrival....seen this before with firemen.... job security no matter what I guess...

Sooooo, they should risk their lives to rush putting out an already totaled vehicle? Ridiculous.

I’m not sure if mine was ever done. I’m not terribly concerned.

Back