Update Rattling when going over bumps | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Update Rattling when going over bumps

mbrando1994

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Ex XLT
4.0 V6
Hi all, I'm having a situation in my 03 explorer xlt when going over any kind of bump. It sounds like metal hitting metal, a clanging rattling noise in the front end. On jacking the front up the only way I can replicate any sort of noise is by actually rotating the tire around then stopping and rotating the other way (forwards-reverse). The noise only sounds when changing direction of spin. There's a small amount of noise when gripping the tire at 3 and 9 oclock and pushing side to side, it doesn't sound like the rattling noise though.

Anyone have any idea what this could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just replaced both front brakes/rotors and made sure everything was tighten to manufacturer's specs. Rattling is quieter but still pretty evident. It sounds like it's coming from the steering rack area (bar that connects the two front wheels and steering column. Are there any bushings around there? This is driving me crazy

When my oil pan gasket was done, i had a clunk over small bumps and I couldnt figure out what it was. I guess someone overlooked the transmission bolts as they werent tightened properly. We also clamped a heat shield somewhere in front of that, which we believe was causing rattling. After that, no more sound. I don't know if your issue is in any way related, but thought I'd let you know about my experience. Good luck.

Hi all, I'm having a situation in my 03 explorer xlt when going over any kind of bump. It sounds like metal hitting metal, a clanging rattling noise in the front end. On jacking the front up the only way I can replicate any sort of noise is by actually rotating the tire around then stopping and rotating the other way (forwards-reverse). The noise only sounds when changing direction of spin. There's a small amount of noise when gripping the tire at 3 and 9 oclock and pushing side to side, it doesn't sound like the rattling noise though.

Anyone have any idea what this could be?

Check to make sure both front sway bar, "stabilizer link bolts" are in place. There is one at each end of the front sway bar. The rear bar has them as well. When one of them breaks and falls out of the front end, you'll hear a clunk noise when hitting bumps or turning sharply. They have a tendency to break when they get old and rusty.

Agree with the sway bar end links and frame bushings since they are such common failures. This threw me off from the OP. :scratch:
On jacking the front up the only way I can replicate any sort of noise is by actually rotating the tire around then stopping and rotating the other way (forwards-reverse).

The shop just recently replaced both end links and both seem fine, everything tight. Where are the frame bushings you mention?

bushings

see the sticky on sway bar bushings. If you got new end links, but didn't replace these bushings, you may want to change them if its been a while.

You're probably right apenland01! I bet the shop never replaced these and they completely slipped my mind. Will be checking on this as soon as I can.

Back