• Register Today It's free!

Upgrade Suggestions

MADMEXLS

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLS 4WD
Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum and I hope it reaches the right audience. I recently purchased a garage-kept 2004 Explorer from my grandpa with a 4.0L SOHC V6, 4x4, and a 3.73 LS axle. Besides the 3.73 axle, it is completely bone stock with 54,000 original miles.
I want this car to last a long time and It's going to be a pavement princess mostly, but I do intend to do some light off-roading(muddy county fire roads) about twice a year. I plan on lifting and buying a spare set of offroad tires and wheels sometime in the future for some harder off-roading.
Can anyone recommend upgrades for my vehicle such as a transmission cooler or something similar?
Any suggestions are welcome Thank you all!

BTW, don't worry about the price tag

IMG_3415.JPG

IMG_3447.jpg

IMG_3446.jpg

IMG_3448.JPG

IMG_3445.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site. Nice grab.

If you plan on going larger tires I would at least upgrade to the 4.10 axles or depending on what size tire you go even lower. Chances are it came with 235/70R16 tires (28.95"), 4.10s came with 255/70R16 tires (30.1"). A 33" or 285/75R16 (32.83") would be pushing the 4.10s to a close 3.73 gear.

As far as lift kits go well you might just be stuck with a spacer kit or coilovers. I'm really not for sure.

The thing is you will have to decide your tire size and go with the lift that works best for you. If you look in the Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers section you may find links to others who have modified their Explorers. This will give you ideas for yours and how you want yours to look. For instance, this one... Project "You want to take what to Moab!?" Winch, Bumpers, Sliders and more

Good luck with your search/quest/endeavor

Welcome to the site. Nice grab.

If you plan on going larger tires I would at least upgrade to the 4.10 axles or depending on what size tire you go even lower. Chances are it came with 235/70R16 tires (28.95"), 4.10s came with 255/70R16 tires (30.1"). A 33" or 285/75R16 (32.83") would be pushing the 4.10s to a close 3.73 gear.

As far as lift kits go well you might just be stuck with a spacer kit.

Amazon product ASIN B097HG3F7W
The thing is you will have to decide your tire size and go with the lift that works best for you. If you look in the Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers section you may find links to others who have modified their Explorers. This will give you ideas for yours and how you want yours to look. For instance, this one... Project "You want to take what to Moab!?" Winch, Bumpers, Sliders and more

Good luck with your search/quest/endeavor
Thank you for the tire and axle suggestions ill look into the modified section of this forum as well. Best, MM

These vehicles have low frames. You’d need more than a body lift or you risk getting high centered.

Tire placement is key in those situations.

Back