• Register Today It's free!

Upgrade Torsion Bars?

Chris4x4Gill2

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL 4x4
With my brushguard and winch on the front of my 99, it causes the front end to sag down noticably. Like 1" to 1 1/2". I did the TT lift to level it out, but it has already settled and is still low. Would upgrading to a better set of torsion Bars be what I need to do? I heard that the EB's had stronger ones in them? Or is there another option ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the winch and brushguard off the front of the Explorer, the front end sits level. Am I on the right track about replacing the Torsion Bars, or is there another problem? Anyone know or can you point me to a link? I did a search and couldn't find anything.

If it evens out with the weight off then yes, it is most likely the bars.

Check your spring code on your driver's door sticker. The first number should be the tbar code. The decoding values are somewhere on here, but basically "B" is the stiffest and anything further in the alphabet is softer. You could see about getting a set of B bars if you have another set, but I don't think there are any aftermarket ones out there.

Thanks for the reply Alec. I wasn't sure if I was on the right track or not. So now I have to find a set of B bars. Probably in a V8 explorer?

Funny you should bring this up today. I talked to John Vanek today to see if he had any connections with torsion bar manufacturers. It has always been my opinion that those that are doing torsion twists need to upgrade their bars to one with a higher rate which will hold the truck at the desired height without excessive cranking. That will eliminate the problem of the eventual sag back to stock height many of you have experienced. It will also reduce the likely hood of breaking a bar or an adjustment bolt.

I had a Mazda B2600I PU with a torsion twist. The best thing I ever did to that truck was to add heavy duty torsion bars. The ride quality improved and the tendency to bottom out offroad was drastically reduced.

Unfortunately John didn't have any words of encouragement. I think we would need to place a huge advance order for any of the big manufactureres to produce a new bar for the late model Explorers. I still plan on researching this a bit more though.

Thanks Rick.

I do have a set of B bars in my garage for whenever I feel like putting them on. For now I'm fine with my stockers.

There seem to be even stiffer bars than code B.

They are codes 1 and 2. I don't know of anyone running them though. Also, torsion bars are cheap. Mine were 50 a piece for the B's. With just a couple cranks, my truck could be at the max of it's suspension travel.

I talked with the guy at the local shop again today. While I was there he called a couple of his parts people. They told us that there is actually 12 or 14(i think this is right) different ratings on the torsion bars. So we decided to go about 3 or 4 stiffer than my stock ones. I am not sure exactly how stiff or what code these will be, but he said it would be plenty to keep my front end from sagging with the brushguard and winch on there.

I also tried to get some info from Ford on this. They only list 1 set on there parts list. no difference for package, 2dr/4dr, or engine. But...they also were discontinued over a year ago so they don't make/sell them anymore.

Jason,
Where would one get these "1" or "2" torsion bars?

Chris,
Where is your local guy getting these bars from?
There are a number of torsion bars but is he talking about ones that are stronger than the "B" rated bar?

I am going to need some new torsion bars soon. I am cranked all the way up and I'm still sitting level. The extra 200 pounds up front are taking their toll on the torsion bars.

I am not sure where exactly he is getting them. The guy he called was fairly local and had them in stock. Said he could get them in tomorrow.
I do know they are new and not used ones. I found i set of used bars off of a V8 but the new ones were only $10 more.
I will talk to him either tomorrow or friday when I go to pick them up and get more information and I will post what I find.

Ray, Ford sells them.

I beleive they are the famed "South American" explorer bars that the guys on ORR are talking about :rolleyes:

When I bought mine, I figured B would be stiff enough and I was right. It's about the perfect stiffness now.

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum and I think its great and wished I had found it earlier. anyway
Has anyone been successful at finding oversized Torsion bars for the late model XLt's. I used to have a toyota 4runner and went out bought 26mm Bars and add-a-leafs double shock mounts raised it a couple of inches and really made it offroad worthy. Honestly, know one carries this stuff for a Ford? Thanks for any help.

I checked on mine again today. The parts guy misunderstood thye first time and sent the same strength I had to begin with. They were the "B" bars.
The ones that should be coming in are two levels up from those. I don't know a part # on them or their rating "letter" yet, but I will when they come in.

Chris, two levels above "B" should be the highest spring rate, "1".

Chris, Please let me know what the part Number for the "1" rated torsion bar is. That sounds about the right stiffness as the grill guard and winch together are 200 pounds.

Yea..200 pounds is about what I was figuring on. Right now mine is under that without the headlight guards on., but I plan on adding them down the rode. I will get a part # for them when I pick it up in a day or so and post it for you.

Ray and all others;

I have an 01 Sport Trac and my drivers door sticker lists my Torsion Bars as "1". I have thought for a long time that they were much stiffer than other Ex's but you may want to give a look at the Sport Trac Torsions as replacement(s). I do not have a Part # that I can locate unless there is a nomenclature on the bars themselves that I can pull off and post ?! Let me know if this is any help. I have not met or seen an Sport Trac with different bars than the 'one's' that I mentioned above, so maybe just having a vehicle that they are on will help. Let me know if I can offer anything else.
:)

Where would an "L" bar fall on the charts? Can someone tell me where I could find the information on the different codes and their corresponding spring rates? Would it be in a Haynes? Ford keeps giving me the run around on the information and so far I can't get a clear answer from them.

Becker : Are the bars off of the sport track the same length and everything where they would fit a regular explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone happen to know what the MM size of the stock bars are?

Back