Upgrading 2013 FPIU radio to touchscreen GPS? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading 2013 FPIU radio to touchscreen GPS?

seatflipper

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 FPIU
Watched this video while researching how to remove the radio and AC bezel, and it got me thinking about upgrading my radio if I could ever get the parts cheaply. My FPIU is a 2013, backup camera with monitor in the mirror that works intermittently, not XM equipped.

Can this be done on an FPIU plug and play with the appropriate adapter harness? How would my backup camera be rerouted from the mirror to the radio monitor? How easily could I add XM?

Also, I see the AC vents just screw on and off. I recently managed to partially break my volume/power button (why I went down this rabbit hole in the first place) and looking at replacement bezels, I see a bunch of hardware which looks like either screws or rivets on the back. If they’re screws, can I just swap in a new knob? If they’re rivets guess I’m SOL.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Curious to see if anyone has done this...

I'm actually in the middle of this right now, believe it or not. And when I say "I'm in the middle of it" that means my dash is torn apart and I've got no stereo or climate controls. I followed along with the video until it got to the part about plugging in the harness and somehow my car is missing one of the plugs that goes in the back of the factory radio! Obviously, it doesn't work. I've been emailing their customer support, but so far they haven't really been much help.

It's very perplexing. The factory radio and climate control worked fine and I only wanted to upgrade to get a backup camera and Bluetooth capability. If I can't get it working soon, I'll have to return it and put the factory radio and panel back in. It really is a shame, because it looks great.

On a related note, if anyone wants to pull out their factory radio and see if it's missing a harness plug, I'd appreciate it :)

Not sure about the product in the video (appears low quality to me). But as far as OEM upgrades, the research I have done it appears it can be done ONLY if you have factory Sync/Bluetooth. Even then it will require a custom wire harness to interface between the vehicle harness, the ACM, APIM and screen. That’s how these two companies are making a killing by developing the harness. 4Dtech will sell the harness by itself( with no support) Infotainment system only provides it with the kit.

Infotainment.com

Ford SYNC Touchscreen Upgrade Kits | 4D Tech

And some more info here on Jason’s site:

SYNC 3 Navigation/System Upgrade/Programming Services

So if you get your hands on all the parts to include the custom cable, as well as some FORScan work, it is doable. Or pay 1900 for a turn key solution. Assuming you have factory Sync.

I have it in my car, it looks very well. The only "problem" i have is the sync (2 USB, rca, sd card) don't work... I'm searching why. The rear cam, BT, wifi etc, all run very good !

Is anyone here have the service manual repair... ? Not the user manual, but the thecnical with electric scheme etc...

I replaced my radio with a Pioneer system. I ended up replacing the dash console as well, as the double din stereo unit fits into the lower half of the dash where the HVAC controls are. It was not a cheap upgrade, but I don't regret it at all. I'll post some photos when I have a chance.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

I replaced my radio with a Pioneer system. I ended up replacing the dash console as well, as the double din stereo unit fits into the lower half of the dash where the HVAC controls are. It was not a cheap upgrade, but I don't regret it at all. I'll post some photos when I have a chance.
Yes ! photos should be interesting, thank's

Thank's it looks vert différent, anything running good ? How was the conversion, plug and play or more boring...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jBZT2JgzDVZvLVxY7

Here's my 2013 with after market touch screen (no GPS. I use my phone for navigation all the time). Actually the soldering is pretty straight forward, especially if you can get the correct adapter. I can swap a unit now (including soldering and wiring) pretty quickly.

Watched this video while researching how to remove the radio and AC bezel, and it got me thinking about upgrading my radio if I could ever get the parts cheaply. My FPIU is a 2013, backup camera with monitor in the mirror that works intermittently, not XM equipped.

Can this be done on an FPIU plug and play with the appropriate adapter harness? How would my backup camera be rerouted from the mirror to the radio monitor? How easily could I add XM?

Also, I see the AC vents just screw on and off. I recently managed to partially break my volume/power button (why I went down this rabbit hole in the first place) and looking at replacement bezels, I see a bunch of hardware which looks like either screws or rivets on the back. If they’re screws, can I just swap in a new knob? If they’re rivets guess I’m SOL.

Thanks

Answering just the two basic questions of moving the camera display and getting Sirius:

The camera display can be moved easily, as long as you don't have Sync. Without Sync, just take the Video+ and Video- wires, and connect them to pins 6 and 12 on the back of the FCDIM. Then go into Forscan and under the FCDIM (as built), change the first line of the code from x0xx to x2xx and the rear display will come up in the center screen. Make sure to unplug the screen in the mirror, or you may find yourself have extra displays.

Getting Sirius is as simple as buying a stereo module with Sirius enabled off of ebay, installing it in the vehicle, and then adjusting the Forscan values easily found on the master sheet of upgrades here to enable Sirius. You do have to supply your own antenna as well. Once you have everything set, hit the Sirius button and the Preview Channel should come up with a message to activate.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jBZT2JgzDVZvLVxY7

Here's my 2013 with after market touch screen (no GPS. I use my phone for navigation all the time). Actually the soldering is pretty straight forward, especially if you can get the correct adapter. I can swap a unit now (including soldering and wiring) pretty quickly.
Which dash kit is that? Also, please tell me more about the buttons where the shifter would be on regular exp and the cup holder right below it.

Which dash kit is that? Also, please tell me more about the buttons where the shifter would be on regular exp and the cup holder right below it.

The dash kit was "Metra 99-5828CH 1 DIN/2 DIN Dash Install Kit for 2011-UP Ford Explorer". It was designed for analog A/C so if you have a smarter one (like the one setting up temperature, this kit will not work unless you re-programmed A/C module with ForScan). The kit cost almost 300+ MSRP but I got a used one from eBay well under $100. The touchscreen is an aftermarket I teared down from my previous car, without GPS.

I installed it with "Metra XSVI-5524-NAV Retention Harness Ford 11-Up". Straight forward installation. Soldered the harness with the pigtail comes with the touchscreen unit, then everything is good. I also have a wired backup camera, and the harness already pickup the backing signal from the car, makes that plug and play too. I believe the harness also support OEM GPS antenna (since they have a blank connector for it) but I don't have one, so I have no idea how that works at all. Just be careful the space will be very tied for all those wires so get a tube to keep them organized. One of the disadvantage is that the media control on the steering wheel doesn't work with my touchscreen, I had to add an addition wireless remote to make it work (that's why I have tons of motivation figuring out how to convert the media control to aux buttons, and still no luck yet).

The center console was from a retail Explorer (probably 2016?). I removed the floor shifter since it is useless for FPIUs, and put in a rocker switch hold so I can get some good looking switches in. It is "AutoEC Rocker Switch Panel Switch Holder Housing Kit" (I think any generic switch housing will fit) you can also get from Amazon, and some random switches. Because the floor shifter is completely removed, I have tons of spaces within the center console, and I built a power distribution panel into it so I can play around with (by the way, all lighting and power outlets on the center console are live, except the rear A/C control, which my FPIU doesn't have). All the power came from the police connector in front of the center console, and turns off when the engine shut off (and that 12V switch you see on the pic, that's the override switch so I can choose to have the equipment running when engine off, and a voltmeter reminding me don't drain out the battery). I've also added front and rear fog light controlled by the switch (two stages switch). I was planned to route the fog lamp back to the BCM so I can use the OEM switch, but found out the console is easier to reach.

I will see if I can find some more detail photos (I took a lot of them during installation for my own reference, just not sure where I throw all of them). Will upload when I found them.

UPDATES:

Here are some pics.

BEFORE-AFTER
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zM51WV2adLwaLDR4A
https://photos.app.goo.gl/muhPTwaaeVLzAXDM8

Center Console Power Distribution (it is a mess)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rrzzQwsjY9LPJxmV9

Metra XSVI-5524-NAV Retention Harness Ford 11-Up
https://photos.app.goo.gl/C2MSqdgqzQXmP2b47
(It was a mess, since I used quick connectors to test the harness. The wires are now soldered permanently looks better organized).

Backup Camera
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cqeF6ZhSFLjspYDE6

Alternative Installation for the Shifter Space (which I gave up)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/duHJHEkVUkEFovQn7

Disclaimer: I don't sell anything mentioned above and I'm not affiliated with any of those sellers.

I'm down in MA and I'm doing this same setup. What did you use for the wiring harness? Was there any reprogramming of the CANBUS system that you had to do? I emailed Metra and they said that dash kit wouldn't work in a PIU but clearly it worked in yours.

I was trying to do a similar installation to the other 2 in this thread. I just installed everything and I'm getting no power to the radio or the dash panel. I had to take it all out and put the old stuff back in because it was too late to mess with it anymore, and all of the old stuff works, so it's not a fuse or anything. I'm really finding this whole process to be infuriating.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was trying to do a similar installation to the other 2 in this thread. I just installed everything and I'm getting no power to the radio or the dash panel. I had to take it all out and put the old stuff back in because it was too late to mess with it anymore, and all of the old stuff works, so it's not a fuse or anything. I'm really finding this whole process to be infuriating.

By dash panel you mean the IPC? Weird. The IPC should lit up even without the radio unit. Maybe some wiring issue or short wires?

Back