Upgrading Alarm System, Some advice after Blue was broken into | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading Alarm System, Some advice after Blue was broken into

NICE59FORDF100

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
OBD-1 Kenobi
Hey guys. Well, blue got broken into saturday night, they stole my subs, my amp, my box, and my backpack, which had all my school books in there (a 400 dollar value Ron!). So now im in the process of upgrading my alarm system. Heres some thoughts, let me know yours:

A: What i have now:

sidewinder 6500 ESP w/ remote start
double shock sensor

B: What i want to add that is practical:

1) Duel Proximenty Sensor
2) Glass Break Sensor
3) (2) mini piezo 120db sirens mounted in the cargo area by subs that will only be activated when the alarm is set off and a door is open
4) Trigger realy mounted to the subs: When a ground wire is broken that is secured to the amp itself, it will trigger the alarm
5) trigger realy for radio itself
6) a DEI paging System, 795T I believe is the part number
7) GPS live assist tracking system located in the sub box itself, if they manage to remove the subs from the vehicle

C: What i would like to add that is a result of 900 dollars worth of crap stolen that is probably illeagal as hell:

1) Automatic Closing liftgate- when alarm is triggered, and the liftgate (in it's 150 LB glory) is in the upright position, disengages from the strut, and closes on the thief, pontentially causing much deserved injury

2) Chloroform (sp?) gas being spewed from vents located in the back hatch has soon as prox sensor is triggered, immobolizing thief

Comments :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

damn

Damn man im sorry to hear that about your stuff. Did they break your window or what unlocked? That stuff sounds good expecially the pager make sure it has a mile range on it. And i dont know about the Chloroform and liftgate idea the the liftgate idea sounds good but what if it happens to close on a none shady person... goood luck

Dan

Alarms do nothing but make a sound. If no one hears it or care when it's going off your SOL. They are ok for avoiding theft of the car, but if any thief see's stuff in the car they want they will get it. How exactly did they break into it? Break the window? Did they cut the alarm?

Jason94sport said:
Alarms do nothing but make a sound. If no one hears it or care when it's going off your SOL.

Very untrue. Most decent alarms have a starter kill. Many have an anti-carjacking mode. Some have GPS tracking devices (LoJack). Some are two-way, so YOU know when it goes off and can take action accordingly. Yes, if a thief is good enough and really wants your stuff, he will get it. Around here the thieves use tow trucks. But to say that a car alarm only makes sound.... that's just silly.

BTW - LOL @ chloroform gas and a dropping liftgate. Might as well hook up a flamethrower and an electric fence in there while you are at it. Thieves deserve all of it.

Extra sirens is always a good idea. Put one under the dash inside, in the cargo area, near the battery facing down, etc. Hide the brain behind a panel in the back of the truck if the wires will reach. Run dummy wires. Get a hood lock of some kind and/or hide/relocate the hood pull cord. Get a tilt sensor if you have rims to protect.

yes, they did break into the back window, and popped the lock and opened the liftgate. the alarm didnt sound because i had accidently set the alarm in valet mode so the alarm was disabled...the truck was still locked, but the alarm would sound...that was my own fault, but i didnt know i had put it in valet mode. i learned that mistake very quickly, but i dont want to take any chances since all an alarm does IS make noise, but hopefully living in an apartment complex, and if my truck is parked next to someones window in their apartment, it might do some good.

As for if they cut the alarm, they didnt becuase they didnt know it had one, but the brain itself is located under the cupholder in the middle console...good location for wiring, and very inconspicuaous (sp?).

NICE59FORDF100 said:
i dont want to take any chances since all an alarm does IS make noise, but hopefully living in an apartment complex, and if my truck is parked next to someones window in their apartment, it might do some good.

Any decent alarm is much more than just a noisemaker.

oh i know an alarmdoes much more than make noise, but i would rather have overkill, and not use it, then wish i had it. But what is the legality issues with the liftgate of doom idea? i have all the stuff, i could make it work tonight if i wanted too. Would that be considered entrapement? (more then the metaphorical sense anyway)

NICE59FORDF100 said:
oh i know an alarmdoes much more than make noise, but i would rather have overkill, and not use it, then wish i had it. But what is the legality issues with the liftgate of doom idea? i have all the stuff, i could make it work tonight if i wanted too. Would that be considered entrapement? (more then the metaphorical sense anyway)

If you can do it without screwing anything else up, go for it. It's your truck - so no one can force you to keep a working strut back there. Honestly, I don't think it would really do enough damage to be effective. Maybe if you put sharp metal spikes on it. That would be sweet. ;)

well, heres where i got the idea....say you are reaching in and grabbing something from the cargo area (ie 900 dollars cash) you would have to reach in and stoop a little bit to get it right? what if, while you were stooping in, the liftgate out of no where falls on you, it would hurt, especially if your legs are resting against the back bumber, and the liftgate hits your back....my only problem is that the thief would try to sue me and most likely win....which is very very sad....

NICE59FORDF100 said:
well, heres where i got the idea....say you are reaching in and grabbing something from the cargo area (ie 900 dollars cash) you would have to reach in and stoop a little bit to get it right? what if, while you were stooping in, the liftgate out of no where falls on you, it would hurt, especially if your legs are resting against the back bumber, and the liftgate hits your back....my only problem is that the thief would try to sue me and most likely win....which is very very sad....

Cool theory, but I just don't think it would work like that. You would have to set up some kind of delay. So the thief would have to be able to open it first, and then somehow have it fall at just the right time. I still don't think it would hurt a full grown man too much, though. Not saying it would feel pleasant, but I bet it wouldn't do enough to immobilize them.

yea, the delay part i understand. thats what the sub relay is for. As soon as the relay is denergized (ie, sub ripped out) thats when the gate would close. it would only close when the thief is inside the cargo area ripping out the subs. I know this is a little too overkill, im just worried about it leagally, if the thief could come back and sue me

NICE59FORDF100 said:
yea, the delay part i understand. thats what the sub relay is for. As soon as the relay is denergized (ie, sub ripped out) thats when the gate would close. it would only close when the thief is inside the cargo area ripping out the subs. I know this is a little too overkill, im just worried about it leagally, if the thief could come back and sue me

Technically, a thief can sue for almost anything, but it doesn't mean they will win. I have heard of cases where they sue if they slip an hurt themselves on your property. I wouldn't worry about that, though. If you really want to avoid that, shoot and kill them in the act. A dead perp can't sue anyone.

good advice. When i save up somemoney, i am buying a gun, i think a glock 9mm. then as soon as i turn 21, CCL here i come. Thank you gun laws in oklahoma :D

Save the $ you spend on an alarm system and spend it on Comprehensive Insurance coverage. All that stuff could be covered.

I had a Cavalier Z24 once that I did out with an alarm system. Here's the specs:

- Compustar 2-way paging remote system
- 2 underhood sirens, both 135 dBs, one was battery backup
- 4 interior piezo sirens, 125 dBs, mounted under the dash
- 2 interior piezo sirens, mounted in the trunk
- 1 battery backup unit for the alarm itself, mounted in the trunk
- 3 LEDs, one in-dash and 2 on the a-pillars

I had trunk triggers, doors, interior dome light, adjustable dual-stage shock sensor, the works.

And on top of that, just in case, I bolted my subs down to the floor and stripped the heads so they'd be a PITA to get out.

My alarm was so loud, if you sat in the cabin with the door closed, and the alarm going off, without hearing protection, you'd damage your hearing.

My opinion, it's WELL worth investing in a good alarm system. People will say it's just a noise maker, but trust me, theives prey on people who don't have good alarm systems. When there's 10 cars available to break into and 1 of them has a top notch alarm system, trust me, theives will go for the 9 other ones.

If somebody wants your stuff bad enough they are going to get it no matter what. the theif may have known the alarm and saw that it was in valet and then acted. Most DEI alarms have a LED indication when it is in valet.

Back up power supplies, interior pain generators are all a good idea. But the best thing is don't advertise you have something in your vehicle. Car audio brand stickers( steal me stickers) bumping your Sh*t close to where you normal park. I have had systems worth many thousands of $$$ and my blood, sweat, and tears. yet I have only had one problem when I had an Alpine banner on my aerostar. That was over 10 years and many systems ago. since I alway turn my system down 1/2- 1 mile from home. I use security screws on all my amps/subs etc.
Like I said, if they want it they will get it.

Tim

Very untrue. Most decent alarms have a starter kill. Many have an anti-carjacking mode. Some have GPS tracking devices (LoJack). Some are two-way, so YOU know when it goes off and can take action accordingly. Yes, if a thief is good enough and really wants your stuff, he will get it. Around here the thieves use tow trucks. But to say that a car alarm only makes sound.... that's just silly.

If you read my post completely I said they do help with someone stealing the car. If you have a sub in the back or a pocketbook, or whatever no alarm is going to help when some thug smashes your window & takes it.
I grew up in the south Bronx of NYC & seen this all the time. The alarm is blarring & people just walk right by.

I do have a very good alarm on my X & my other cars. The 2 way pagers have very limited range. I've tested a few. If you have some decent line of site to the car it works fine. If your 10 floors up & your car is in a parking lot or you have a lot of thick walls it doesn't work.

yes, they did break into the back window, and popped the lock and opened the liftgate. the alarm didnt sound because i had accidently set the alarm in valet mode so the alarm was disabled...the truck was still locked, but the alarm would sound...that was my own fault, but i didnt know i had put it in valet mode. i learned that mistake very quickly, but i dont want to take any chances since all an alarm does IS make noise, but hopefully living in an apartment complex, and if my truck is parked next to someones window in their apartment, it might do some good.

Sounds like this is your fault then. Your alarm my have prevented it if it wasn't in valet mode. You should know how to use your alarm. Every detail of it.

Jason94sport said:
The 2 way pagers have very limited range. I've tested a few. If you have some decent line of site to the car it works fine. If your 10 floors up & your car is in a parking lot or you have a lot of thick walls it doesn't work.

My Autopage 2-way works great. In fact, if I need to go somewhere like a sporting event or something where I will be out of range, I won't drive my truck.

Smash and grab is simple to prevent. Keep everything hidden AND bolted down. Never have "steal me" stickers. Use dark tint (it's impossible to see inside the baclk of my truck even up close in broad daylight). Have LEDs that announce that you have an alarm. A good prox sensor with a warn-away chirp helps too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea, i dont have ANY stickers saying what i have in there, and i do always turn my music down when i come close to my apartment complex.

i know it was my fault the alarm wasnt activated. The reason it went into valet mode was because my starter went out, but i had one instance where the starter interupt was triggered....to reset it, i push the valet switch a couple of times to reset it. when i did that, turns out it wasnt alarm causing the truck not to start, but rather just the starter...and accidently put it in valet mode. thats why that happened.

i thought about bolting down the sub to keep it in place and to prevent theft, but heres my reasoning not: Theif: "hmm, i cant steal it very easily, so i might as well trash his truck in revenge"

i called the day it got stolen on the insurence thing, Renter's Insurence, and i would have a 500 dollar deductable with all of them, plus its 250 dollars up front for one year covereage....they would have to steal over twice that amount for it to be worth getting, otherwise, im out 500 dollars, and my premium could go up...

like i said, i just wanted to get everyone's input on some of the ideas im having to upgrade and futher reduce the chance of theft or damage, thats all :)

Back