• Register Today It's free!

Uphill Issues (94 XLT)

3Dee

Reaction score
City, State
Guernsey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey all. Got an issue here I've been putting off, but it's become enough of an annoyance that I'm gonna ask here on the forums.

My 94 Explorer has a problem going uphill. When I'm driving the 2 hour drive from college to my parents house, there are many hills and dips. When going even slightly uphill, the vehicle begins to lose speed, and the bigger the hill, the more speed I lose. It seems I even out at about 65mph, but the entirety of the highway is 80mph. I can put the petal all the way down to the floor but I'll still lose speed, albeit slower. I've tried things such as the "horsepower hack" where you put a zip tie on the accelerator cable to give it less slack, but I either have it on the wrong cable, or it's not done anything.

TLDR; explorer loses steam going uphill even putting the gas petal to the floor, very annoying.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These don’t have a lot of power, and are heavy. If the hills are steep/long it might be totally normal.

To correct it you’d need a significant change in in power, or gearing.

What’s your axle ratio?

I have the same problem, I first thought it might be a clogged cat but now I believe it’s because of a gas line leak near the tank, causing not enough fuel pressure.

does the check engine light work?
Elaborating on this: the check engine light should illuminate briefly every time you start the car.

where you put a zip tie on the accelerator cable to give it less slack, but I either have it on the wrong cable, or it's not done anything.
You can verify this worked/didn't work/ isn't necessary by verifying the butterfly valve starts to open just as you press the pedal.

If this is an automatic: are your brake lights all working (third/high mount too) ? Any LED's back there?
Have you tried driving with the selector only on D not OD?

I'll try to respond to everything in one post here.

For axle ratio: I'm not quite sure how to find this out, and I live in an apartment complex where working on vehicles is prohibited (I assume mess is the main reason) the only thing I could relate to this is this: I know my wheels are not the originals, and this created an issue where my speedometer is 5mph lower than what my speed really is up until I hit about 50 or 60mph.

My check engine light as well as the other lights flash normally when starting the vehicle, but do not stay on while driving.

I'm pretty sure I do not have a fuel line leak, as my dad and I spent a good amount of time fixing the fuel tank and filter and wouldve seen something like this. Never know, though. I'll check next time I'm at the parent's home.

This is an automatic, and yes all three of my rear lights work. There are no LEDs, just regular lights.

As for the butterfly valve to confirm my "horsepower hack" I believe theres a part you have to take off in order to see the valve, and as previously mentioned, I cannot work on my car here at my apartment. Will try taking a look when at the parents again.

Lastly, OD vs D: I've tried both, and I believe the car runs slightly better in regular drive, but still loses power on hills.

Honestly, I'm kind of thinking MBrooks is right here and that this is just normal, but even small inclines on the highway lose me speed, and I have to floor it to keep speed. Cruise control cant keep up, and will drop out after losing too much speed, as it probably thinks I'm purposefully slowing down and turns itself off.

Hope I got to everything, thanks for all the quick responses, everyone.

Lastly, OD vs D: I've tried both, and I believe the car runs slightly better in regular drive
I would try it with selector in 2 for a couple miles, locking out 3rd & OD and see if that significantly changes the performance. Don't bring it past 45 as it reads on your speedometer.

If it does significantly change, it would bring your symptoms in line with my previous experience, which was resolved by reconditioning the valve body.

What size are your tires? Your gelato can be found on the white tag on the drives door/door jam. There will be an “axle” code designation. It’ll be a two digit number.

For axle ratio: I'm not quite sure how to find this out, and I live in an apartment complex where working on vehicles is prohibited (
Ha never stopped me and they told me the same blooded thing lol hope you get figured out could be a wimpy back Axle

Hey all. Got an issue here I've been putting off, but it's become enough of an annoyance that I'm gonna ask here on the forums.

My 94 Explorer has a problem going uphill. When I'm driving the 2 hour drive from college to my parents house, there are many hills and dips. When going even slightly uphill, the vehicle begins to lose speed, and the bigger the hill, the more speed I lose. It seems I even out at about 65mph, but the entirety of the highway is 80mph. I can put the petal all the way down to the floor but I'll still lose speed, albeit slower. I've tried things such as the "horsepower hack" where you put a zip tie on the accelerator cable to give it less slack, but I either have it on the wrong cable, or it's not done anything.

TLDR; explorer loses steam going uphill even putting the gas petal to the floor, very annoying.
Make sure that your fuel pressure is up to speed. It could be a fuel pressure regulator or it could be a fuel pump that's wimping out. Get a fuel pressure gauge hooked up and make sure that the pressure is a steady 40# of pressure. You can rent one for free from Advance or Auto Zone.

What size are your tires? Your gelato can be found on the white tag on the drives door/door jam. There will be an “axle” code designation. It’ll be a two digit number.
Will get to this asap. Just had a big snowstorm here in Wyoming, but I leave for my parents tmmrow or thursday. Will update you.

Will get to this asap. Just had a big snowstorm here in Wyoming, but I leave for my parents tmmrow or thursday. Will update you.
Where you at in Wyoming? I know the feel.

For axle ratio: I'm not quite sure how to find this out, and I live in an apartment complex where working on vehicles is prohibited (I assume mess is the main reason) the only thing I could relate to this is this: I know my wheels are not the originals, and this created an issue where my speedometer is 5mph lower than what my speed really is up until I hit about 50 or 60mph.

My check engine light as well as the other lights flash normally when starting the vehicle, but do not stay on while driving.

I'm pretty sure I do not have a fuel line leak, as my dad and I spent a good amount of time fixing the fuel tank and filter and wouldve seen something like this. Never know, though. I'll check next time I'm at the parent's home.

This is an automatic, and yes all three of my rear lights work. There are no LEDs, just regular lights.

As for the butterfly valve to confirm my "horsepower hack" I believe theres a part you have to take off in order to see the valve, and as previously mentioned, I cannot work on my car here at my apartment. Will try taking a look when at the parents again.

Lastly, OD vs D: I've tried both, and I believe the car runs slightly better in regular drive, but still loses power on hills.

Honestly, I'm kind of thinking MBrooks is right here and that this is just normal, but even small inclines on the highway lose me speed, and I have to floor it to keep speed. Cruise control cant keep up, and will drop out after losing too much speed, as it probably thinks I'm purposefully slowing down and turns itself off.

Hope I got to everything, thanks for all the quick responses, everyone.
In addition to MBrooks' suggestion to look at the door for the axle code, there should also be a metal tag somewhere on the differential cover that says what the axle ratio is as well (if it's legible).

I'll also throw my two cents in here and say that my 94 used to have the same uphill issues, and someone suggested replacing the throttle position sensor. The interface with the throttle body is plastic, and gets worn down over time, causing the computer to think that the throttle is more closed than it actually is, so the engine runs lean. Mine still slows down on the uphills, but it's way better than it was (running 31x10.5 tires, so that's doing me no favors lol). That throttle sensor was real cheap and you can diagnose/change it out in about 30 minutes.

Casper for college, what about you?
Laramie but Casper was actually where I bought my original 91 nice to see another Wyomingite on this board

Laramie but Casper was actually where I bought my original 91 nice to see another Wyomingite on this board
I bought mine from a guy who's dad owns a salvage yard in Erie Colorado. You should check out my post about my explorer Faith, it's a good read!

Back