Upper oil pan alignment

efBrianM

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Spring Hill, Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Ex Exp, 01 Ex Sport
I'm just about to finish my timing set install on my 2001 Explorer Sport with the 4.0L SOHC engine. I've been using the Haynes manual and FordTechMakeYouLoco (FTMYL) videos for reference. The Haynes manual on page 2B-14 describes a specific procedure for aligning the rear of the upper oil pan with the transmission mounting surface on the rear of the engine block. I thought I had it pretty close while it was on the engine stand and went ahead and torqued everything relating to the upper oil pan. Once i got it off the engine stand and onto the engine hoist, I checked it again and found the upper oil pan is not as close "to flush" as I thought. The upper oil pan protrudes past the rear of the engine by about .016". Per the Haynes manual, this is too much if I'm reading it correctly! FTMYL starts his upper oil pan install at about 4:00 in video 4, and checks the alignment at about 8:00. He does use a straight edge, but no feeler gauges, just eyeballs the straight edge, and calls it good. I'm not sure what to do now. Can I leave my install alone and go ahead and put the engine in the vehicle, or do I need redo the alignment and get it closer to flush?

Brian

Back