• Register Today It's free!

Using Air tools

97splorer

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0 AWD
I want to buy an air compressor to use air tools while working on my X. What kind of compressor do I need. Keep in mind this is for doing work every now and then, I don't need a professional mechanic setup...although it would be nice.

Thanks-Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How much are you willing to spend?

Do you have a place for a permanent tank, or do you need a mobile setup?

What types of tools will you use on it? Impact gun/ratchet/chisel/sander etc...

Those are the first 3 criteria LOL

Home Depot has a good 15 gallon Husky electric compressor that uses the same motor as their 30 gallon unit. It's around $200 and that's what I'm going to get soon.

need a little more information on what type of tools you'll be using. a 1/4" die grinder can use more air than a 1/2" impact gun, so if you're just going to use tools that aren't going to use large volumes of air, then you will not need a compressor with a huge tank. also give a price range

Consider the electrical draw and if you have the proper outlets.

What I'm looking at: It's the best ~15 gallon I've found.

Husky
5 Peak / 1.7 Running HP, 17 Gallon Husky Air Compressor
Model WL6510

5 Peak HP, 17 Gallon Husky Compressor creates 5.1 SCFM @ 90 psi. The compressor has a max pressure of 150 PSI and is perfect for the DIY'er.

Internet/Catalog # 165614
Store SKU# 708783

Price:Â#$199.00/ea

I would get a 4hp+ unit with a 20gal+ tank. You want to buy a unit that will meet your future needs, otherwise your going to waste $$ by having to upgrade later. Some air tools such as SandBlasters, Die grinder, Sanders, etc use lots of continuous air. So if your thinking about getting them, make sure your compressor can keep up. I would rank the Impact gun as the #1 tool. I had a 350 ft/lb gun and it was too weak for my needs. It would remove a lot of non-rusted stuff, but had a hard time/failed to remove rusted bolts (soaked in PBlaster). I ended up getting a 1000 ft/lb IR and it rocks. So Don't skimp on your air tools or you'll be disappointed.

DeRocha said:
I would get a 4hp+ unit with a 20gal+ tank. You want to buy a unit that will meet your future needs, otherwise your going to waste $$ by having to upgrade later. Some air tools such as SandBlasters, Die grinder, Sanders, etc use lots of continuous air. So if your thinking about getting them, make sure your compressor can keep up. I would rank the Impact gun as the #1 tool. I had a 350 ft/lb gun and it was too weak for my needs. It would remove a lot of non-rusted stuff, but had a hard time/failed to remove rusted bolts (soaked in PBlaster). I ended up getting a 1000 ft/lb IR and it rocks. So Don't skimp on your air tools or you'll be disappointed.

This advise is right on.

Thanks for the replies, I plan on using it for minor work. I want to get an impact gun, grinders, sanders ect. Price is not too much of a factor, but I don't want to spend over $500 for the tank alone.

since space is a concern for me now (in my parent's garage) I plan on getting that 17 gallon unit and maybe getting an aux tank later if I need it. Is this an ok plan? The motor is 5.1 @ 90 and 5.5 hp.

Alec said:
since space is a concern for me now (in my parent's garage) I plan on getting that 17 gallon unit and maybe getting an aux tank later if I need it. Is this an ok plan? The motor is 5.1 @ 90 and 5.5 hp.

That is the cool part about Air tanks...you can add more.....It will just take longer to top off.

cool. like I said above, the 17 gal and 27 gal use the same motors so why get the larger tank now if I don't have room?

Thanks Crank.

For the air tools avoid the Craftsman stuff.
I had a craftsman air ratchet go at it's best two weeks ( daily use mind you )
For a weekend warrior, Snap-On is not necissaly but will obviously suit you well.
Look into Ingersol Rand, and Astro Pnumatic. Afordable, and a good product.
Most important, keep the tool oiled. Prior to each days use, add three or four drops of air tool oil.

MONMIX said:
For the air tools avoid the Craftsman stuff.
I had a craftsman air ratchet go at it's best two weeks ( daily use mind you )
For a weekend warrior, Snap-On is not necissaly but will obviously suit you well.
Look into Ingersol Rand, and Astro Pnumatic. Afordable, and a good product.
Most important, keep the tool oiled. Prior to each days use, add three or four drops of air tool oil.

I have a 30 gallon tank, 4.5 hp motor (i think thats the right size motor), and a ton of air tools. I do a lot of work on my own vehicles. To provide a contrasting opinion to the one above, I've had great experiences with craftsman impact tools. I have had one for about 2 years now that I rarely use (its my spare because it didnt have the torque I needed for some jobs), and I have another 1/2 inch drive, 450 ft lbs torque air impact made by craftsman that works like its brand new. Even with 30 gallons though, my cutting wheel and random orbital sander can deplete my tank and I have to wait a couple mins for it to fill up again before I go at it. I have an air impact chisel that I used in conjunction with my electric grinder to remove rivets to do the radius arm bushings on 3 explorers, plus do work on my jetski trailer.

I'm not a big fan of the air ratchets in general. They are slow, loud, and bulky. If you can get an impact gun in there, use that. Otherwise, a normal ratchet can take off the bolts darn near as fast as an air ratchet can with none of the noise associated with it.

For air ratchet1/4 inch drive, I LOVE my MAC. Small compact, powerful, and yes quiet.
For 3/8 drive I use Snap-On, this sucker is one bad a$$ knuckle buster.
Impact 1/2 inch drive, Matco composite body.

Very happy with all three. All plenty well costly though.

I just bought a husky 32 gallon 5.5 hp the same motor as Alecs future compressor for 300 bucks. I was going to buy the 17 gallon but, I still needed to buy air tools and stuff and the 32 gallon came with most of the air tools I need, plus bigger is better. Got it at The Home Depot.

My parents suggested this weekend I get the larger one. Sweet :D

Cool the larger one takes up less space since it stands up and not sideways. :chug:

slag said:
I'm not a big fan of the air ratchets in general. They are slow, loud, and bulky. If you can get an impact gun in there, use that. Otherwise, a normal ratchet can take off the bolts darn near as fast as an air ratchet can with none of the noise associated with it.

I agree, I usually would suck it up and wrench with a 1/2" drive when taking off seat bolts while working for Crutchfield. Then again, I'm sure our air ratchet sucked ~ it seemed to have no tq at all

Now air powered jig saws... those are fun, quite possibly the easiest tool to use when custom mounting speakers on rear decks or in door panels. You can just about trace any contour, and they go through metal like buttah

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back