Using different brand brake shoes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Using different brand brake shoes

nitro71

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spokane WA
Heres the situation, I got some loaded brake calipers from Rock Auto but they have different brand of shoes in them. I'm wondering if it will make much of a difference to use them? I wouldn't normaly do this but am thinking of giving it a try as they are free for me now and free fits my budget pretty good. Anyone ever tried just replacing shoes on one side or using different brand ones?

There was also a chip in one of the piston cups on the outside. Rock is giving me a full credit for them and letting me keep em.

Personally I wouldn't chance it, pads are sold in pairs after all. That being said I don't think it would hurt anything if you tested them out. Drove it around the block a couple times to make sure they weren't doing anything funny, or making it pull one way or the other.

Working on the around the block part. Will let you know how it goes. Can't be to annoyed with Rock as they credited me for them and let me keep em.

Working on the around the block part. Will let you know how it goes. Can't be to annoyed with Rock as they credited me for them and let me keep em.

Yeah I've always heard good things about their customer service. I'm just glad I've never had the need to call them.

Back