V6 to V8 swap.. how different are they? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V6 to V8 swap.. how different are they?

PUR PONY

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD, 96 XLT, & 98 XLT
Hi all, not sure who remembers me from way back when i had my black supercharged explorer but im back with a few questions.

I have since sold my old supercharged v8 back in 04, but still have 2 explorers. One is the wifes daily driver which is a 96 V8 AWD xlt with 192K miles. Truck still runs great but the exterior and interior shows its age.

Then I have a 96 daily driver V6 4x4 limited. This truck has 157K engine, but the truck has probably seen roughly 200K miles due to being towed around behind a motorhome and has seen all 50 states. This truck is MINT in everyway. There is not a dent, scratch, stain on the carpet or anything. Looks like just came off the assembly line.

I am planning on replacing my wifes explorer very soon with a 06-08 Explorer limited V8, which got me thinking.

I love my 96 limited and plan on keeping it for a long time for a DD.... but i miss the 302 power of the wifes truck. I was thinking last night, why not swap the powertrains before getting rid of her 96 xlt. I would swap the 96 v6 limited engine into the 96 xlt and vs versa with the v8. The v6 would be a direct swap, but before the v8 was swapped over i would do a rebuild. 331 stroker kit, cam, aluminum heads, etc.

How many of you think im crazy? haha. So sorry for the long read, but anyone have any ideas what is needed to be swapped? Are the fuel lines/pump the same? things like this. I will have the 2 trucks side by side, so i will have every part needed.

ideas, comments, tips? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Between the 2 trucks you should have everything you need. You may want to upgrade the fuel pump a bit but otherwise the tank assembly and fuel lines should work fine.

Just swap bodies, Marc. I think that would be a ton easier.

Very good point. This way the drive train remains intact and tight. You also eliminate unknown parts breakage which can add up. Pulling an engine usually means all new fluids--a few gaskets etc.

i was thinking the body swap as well.....

BUT... the frame on the V6 is also spotless. It spent all but 2 CT winters in FL.... where the V8 truck spent its entire life in CT winters. I want to pull the V8 anyways for the rebuild and replace as many little components to new as possible. Something to think about though.

Wouldn't the V6 to V8 swap be a dead end due to emmissions inspections?

not in CT. As long as the V8 going into the V6 is the same year or newer you can swap any engine you want.

Im kind of in the middle of a 96 Mountaineer drivetrain in my 92 ranger.... still collecting parts and chipping away at that.

been thinking about this some..... whats involved in removing the body off the frame? I think you have done it if i remember correctly, right?

How do i lift the body off without damaging it?

Back