CALDWELL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia Airport, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 V6 Silver XLT
Hey Boys,

One of my friends at work, and I were discussing about his near future plan to purchase a 09' Fx4 F150. he currently has a 2004 V8 X that looks exactly like NYGBRAD's X. we got on the discussion of mpg with his explorer vs. the new truck he wants, and he blew my mind with what kind of MPG's he getting in his V8, compared to my V6. We live 5 minutes away from each other, and drive the same stop and go traffic all day long, and he gets about 13.5 mpg stock ( Synthetic Motor/Transmission Oil, K&N Air Filter ). on the HWY he says he can get 20 MPG...

another friend of mine who drives his beloved 98 F150, recently had his motor go on him @ 160K, and he had to take out a loan to swap it. He told me financing the loan was very easy, about 105$ a month.

since my frined with a 04 V8 is getting the same mileage as me stock, and the loan financing isnt that difficult, i have been thinking about doing the swap... but before i go any farther, into this.

currently i have a 05' V6 w/ 3.55 gear ratio. what would all be needed to make the swap happen ? would i also need a new transmission, or any front suspension modification ?

is this possible for a mechanic shop to do this ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anything is possible for the right price. But you regular repair shops are probably not willing to go this deep into a project. That leaves you with a custom shop that probably has a higher labor rate. If you really want a V8 explorer, just trade yours in and get one. I'd say find a '06+ 3valve V8 it'd be nice to start with almost 300 Horses from the get go and modify up from there.

the mechanical swap would be very easy, motormounts and you would need the intake elbow for the 4.6L (the 5.4L goes to the drivers side, the 4.6L goes to the passenger side). Now then, the computer would be an issue, your going to need a 4.6L wiring harness, and maybe a 4.6l computer, i dont know if hte v6 and the v8 explorers both use the same computer and a simple tune would fix the issue... you could be looking at a couple thousand dollers here.

If mileage is your goal, I'd say it'd be more work than it's worth. Even if it were for a performance/HP increase, I'd say don't bother.

If I were you I'd get an underdrive crank pulley/overdrive alt pulley...that got me some power and mileage for not too much $$$.

Even when I took off my underdrive water pump pulley and went back to the stock clutch fan I'm still getting 23 highway/16 city.

Gears might help with mileage around town, but that's getting a bit up there with price....though I did get ahold of a front and rear set of low-mileage 3.73 complete diffs for about 530 total.

be extremely easy on the gas and enjoy ur 18 mpg city (V6). :)

Should have bought a V8...

Why do you want the V8?

The V6 can be worked a little to make some nice power(supercharger/turbo) but the only thing it can't do is sound like a V8.

Look into this-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e4ebdeb59

Just found this(same as above)-
http://candmnovelties.com/pages/page3.htm

Another thing is to PM Mounty03 about his turbo setup and see about copying it, but some tweaking will need to be done because you have a V6. Just saying;)

well this was just an idea that i was throwing around, and realized that finanaically this would be a bad idea...

as I am in the process of applying for Paramedic School, and thought about the school loan i am going to need to take out, it could possibly jeopardize my chance in getting the school loan i will need.

then thinking about it even further after Paramedic School, i will be making a much larger income :D and will then be able to pay off my X faster. Then have the ability to buy an F-150

--Well...the F150's are nice trucks, and I don't understand why now you want the V8 when you, like me, knowingly bought the V6 and want something better (more powerful) now.
The F150's depending on what years are GAS HOGS!!!!! 14mpg in city and 20hwy with a 4.6L V8, worse with the 5.4L. There is the reason I am going to buy a Ford Ranger or other brand's comparable model, which will get 17mpg or better. But if thats whats needed or wanted then go for it :D

--If I had spare money laying around there's an engine at a close by junkyard $700 for the trans and engine from an 06 4.6L V8 with 65K miles on it :D. No money, so I'll live with my V6 for now...
--And unless you do the work your self or your engine gives out its not really worth a V8, just keep modding the 6.

--Well...the F150's are nice trucks, and I don't understand why now you want the V8 when you, like me, knowingly bought the V6 and want something better (more powerful) now.
The F150's depending on what years are GAS HOGS!!!!! 14mpg in city and 20hwy with a 4.6L V8, worse with the 5.4L. There is the reason I am going to buy a Ford Ranger or other brand's comparable model, which will get 17mpg or better.

--If I had spare money laying around there's an engine at a close by junkyard $700 for the trans and engine from an 06 4.6L V8 with 65K miles on it :D. No money, so I'll live with my V6 for now...
--And unless you do the work your self or your engine gives out its not really worth a V8, just keep modding the 6.

Damn thats better then my v6 explorer

My V6 is doing 16-19mpg...in city driving mainly. Its doing 25mpg highway.
You missed increasing the font on 1 on the 14...

When do you get of school? If all goes planned ill have the 4.6 out of my mounty once I'm healed up plus the ecu so you have most of the parts right there. Depending on how much my 3.9 costs I will probably just get rid of it cheap.

My V6 is doing 16-19mpg...in city driving mainly. Its doing 25mpg highway.
You missed increasing the font on 1 on the 14...

yeah i know... to lazy to change it....

mine gets 11.5 city and about 15.5 highway

....11.5....15.5....? If my explorer starts doing numbers like that I'd ditch the thing. Thats about as good as my brother's 96 bronco with a 5.8L V8 does in city, I think he said his average numbers are around....9-12mpg

....11.5....15.5....? If my explorer starts doing numbers like that I'd ditch the thing. Thats about as good as my brother's 96 bronco with a 5.8L V8 does in city, I think he said his average numbers are around....9-12mpg

yup 11.5 and 15.5 is correct, and it sucks. everyone i know around here gets about the same.....

Haha I dont even wanna post my city milage with the 35s. My wallet cried every time I drove the mounty.

Man you boys must be runnin these things hard, my friend with a 04 4.0L gets 13, but i usually get around 16-18

Good, looks like I'm not the only getting those higher numbers around 16-18 mpg.

just got to college truck was packed for my dorm. I got around 18-19mpg I think sounds decent for 70-80mph on the interstate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just got to college truck was packed for my dorm. I got around 18-19mpg I think sounds decent for 70-80mph on the interstate

Sounds good mileage for a packed explorer.

Back