• Register Today It's free!

Video Camera Mount?

CJExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT 4X4
Does anyone have a video camera mount in their explorer? im looking to make one that would fit in the 2nd gen explorer without tearing it apart. I tried to make something, but it was really bumpy when driving down a paved street, yet alone offroad. Just wondering if anyone made a good one? do you have pics or ideas of a build?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have this camcorder and i was looking to make a mount for it, rather than buy another camera.
0002724272770_500X500.jpg

Hmmm... Somebody MUST make a suction cup mount for cameras in general. Maybe you could stick it to the windshield? I know sometimes drag racers attatch video cameras to the head rests by various means.

Hmmm... Somebody MUST make a suction cup mount for cameras in general. Maybe you could stick it to the windshield? I know sometimes drag racers attatch video cameras to the head rests by various means.

I have thought about the suction cup ones, but the screw for the camera mount is on the bottom, which means the camera would have to be upside down.

Well I usually just duck (or masking) tape a tripod to various things inside a vehicle, i've had pretty good luck with that. back of the seat, seat brackets, etc. could also tie it down to the seatbelt mounts with various guy-wires (of string or something)

or if you've got a roll cage with X bars through the cab, just attach it to that. that works great.. skip to about the 30 second point of this video, and there's some footage from a camera mounted that way.

I've found that wide angle lenses are a must, and the camera mounted far enough back in the cab that you can see the edges of the windshield, the hood, etc helps make the video better, more points of reference for you're eyes.. try to get the cam mounted pretty high, too.

there are many you can buy on the net, most are not cheap. Look around on the net and you can find some you can make for cheap. I use Stic-Cam and 2.0 or Super Stic-Cam, but ever sense my video PC died:thumbdwn: and I can't edit video currently, I've kinda turned away from it right now.:rolleyes:

If anyone makes something, I would think RAM products would. I'd be surprised if they didn't have something that worked...

Well i ended up making my own mount. After trying mounting behind radio bezel, vents, and overhead console, i finally ended with mounting behind the visor screw mounts. It ended up nice and seems stable took it down a really
bumpy alley and it seemed to do okay.

Whatcha guys think?

DSC09655.jpg

going to truckhaven next week and want to film some of the runs i go on:D

I dont know if ill be doing that with my X, but i sure want to go on that hill with someone. Especially having CJ as my initials

HERE ya go, this is what I've used for years in various vehicles, never had a moments trouble with it. I just stick it inside the windshield. I couldn't find it today for my trip to the trails so I had to do it the old fashion way, I had my wife hold it LOL.

Nice vid, froader, When i get my current exploder project done Truckheaven is definitely a place i want to take it. it's been like 4 years since i've been there!

and CJ, be sure to post up some of those vids...!!

Well i ended up making my own mount. After trying mounting behind radio bezel, vents, and overhead console, i finally ended with mounting behind the visor screw mounts. It ended up nice and seems stable took it down a really
bumpy alley and it seemed to do okay.

Whatcha guys think?

DSC09655.jpg

the visor screw mounts work really well, i used to build police cars and we used the visor screw mounts in Crown Vics for all kinds of stuff.... overhead consoles, overhead monitors for the in-car video cameras, visor mounted lights and so on and so forth. i have seen a mount designed specifically for your camera in a police car before, but it was rather large and cumbersome....
personally i have just set a tripod in the passenger side with 2 legs in the floor and one leg in the seat, then used some cord to tie the top of the tripod to various places in the car to keep it from tipping over. i used a beastly old VHS camcorder (you know the kind you hold on your shoulder and look through the viewfinder? :D) and while it was a bit wobbly, i wasnt too worried about it falling over into my lap or anything

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the visor screw mounts work really well, i used to build police cars and we used the visor screw mounts in Crown Vics for all kinds of stuff.... overhead consoles, overhead monitors for the in-car video cameras, visor mounted lights and so on and so forth.

My dad is a Retired Sheriff Officer and when i was talking to him about the camera mount, thats what he suggested and mentioned that the patrol cars are outfitted with camera mounts using the visor screws:thumbsup:

Back