• Register Today It's free!

Warn manual hubs

jus97tin

Reaction score
City, State
carlisle, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt, 97 ranger
Alright fellas, i dont even know if this is a problem or not. i have a 94 with warn manual hubs that are about a year old. about a week ago, i decided to try the 4x4 just to see if everything was ok, so i locked the hubs and once i put it in 4x4 and moved about a foot or so, it made a sound like the hub was skiping on the spline. i stopped, took everything out and tried it again and everything work fine. tonight i thought i would try it again in my parents yard and it didnt make that sound again so thats good. but my question is the hubs make a little click once they lock but they dont do it every time. my dad said that if the spline is even with the hub they wont click because they go right in and when they make the click noise thats just them lining up and locking in then. Is this right? also when i take it out and unlock the hubs, they seem like they dont always unlock, i may have to back up an inch or 20 feet before they unlock sometimes. Is this a normal process. i didnt think that you had to do this. the last time we tried it, i unlocked the hubs and backed up about 3 feet and then went forward and out of the yard and down the street about 30 feet and my dad stopped me and said the front drive shaft is still spinning, so i stopped and put it in reverse and backed up about 3 inches and your heard the hub click and unlock and everything was normal. what in gods name is going on with my truck? i hope that this wasnt to hard to follow but im stumped so anything would help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Manual hubs? They sound like auto hubs that are malfunctioning. Seems to me I remember reading on here that a loose axle was ****ed in the hub and rubbing making it behave strangely... but that could be the rum talking he he he. I guess all I can offer is a bump.

thanks guys. it does sound like a case of bad auto hubs. i guess i just need to be carefull with my 4x4. i also took the hub off tonight and nothing looks to be warn or unlubricated so im not sure.

sounds to me that they may be over lubricated. Too much grease = grease lock. i'm guessing this is part of the reason why a previous poster said to clean and re lube. When you re-lube them just put a slight film of grease on the internals.

they are manuals. i converted them. ill clean them and relube them. any special grease to use?

Back