Warning To All Ford Ecoboost Owners! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Warning To All Ford Ecoboost Owners!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't say it's a new warning. And hardly a huge issue since the engine has been in use since the 2010 model year and how often have you heard about it from other owners?

this would explain why people are complaining about the lag boost during the first several K miles (fuel shooting) and this is going to be a reason why in a few short years ford should abdoned this eco boost platform-

you are correct that eur models started out and had issues- one big note- the eur manufactors were and are stilling willing to spend money in this induction system to enhance it ( look a the new 3 series and M models) but it appears that ford is going to take a hands on approach. lets fixy when it breaky

same thing with the my touch sync- it was a dissappointing disaster and to ford customers, it still is. its getting better, but the interface is just not that good.

back to your post-

Ford, please do us a favor stick to the straight4, 6 or 8 or be willing to spend dollar to euro.

remember this post

How about ceramic coated headers to remove transferred heat to the turbos? Also, years ago, BMW used crushed walnuts blown into the intake plenum to remove soot buildup. just saying...

There are no free lunches. If turbos were the perfect solution to getting big horsepower out of smaller engines no one would make a naturally aspirated engine anymore.

Used to have the same problem with a motorcycle. Solution was to run techtron every now and then. Also to open it up. The cause seemed to be related to running the to softly. Not sure it would transfer to the Ex, but worked great for the bikes.

I've had our 2013 2.0L in several times complaining about the very sooty tail pipes, suspecting something is wrong; and poor gas mileage ...Ford and the Dealers two of them, all just laughed it off, saying there is nothing wrong.....so, nice video, but Ford really does not care , at least at this point.......I like the ride and size comfort of the vehicle, but this POS will be long gone before the warrantee is up....Plum

I've had our 2013 2.0L in several times complaining about the very sooty tail pipes, suspecting something is wrong; and poor gas mileage ...Ford and the Dealers two of them, all just laughed it off, saying there is nothing wrong.....so, nice video, but Ford really does not care , at least at this point.......I like the ride and size comfort of the vehicle, but this POS will be long gone before the warrantee is up....Plum

Might want to try Seafoam and 93 octane gas for a few tanks and see if that helps. Only real way to fully get the carbon deposits off is to take it apart and brush the heads downs.

While I have a normally aspirated 3.5, I have some carbon on my tailpipes and am wondering if my poor gas mileage is carbon on the heads. Thought of Seafoam when I watched the YouTube. Otherwise, unless you know how to take apart a cylinder head, it is a very expensive cleaning job.

Welcome to force induction and direct injection. This was/is a known issue with my old MazdaSpeed6 with the 2.3 DI turbo. Intake valves would build up carbon due to the egr system. Without the valve washdown from the injectors, carbon can build up on the valves.

As stated earlier, walnut shell blasting was/is a highly effective solution to cleaning the valves(short of pulling the head off and cleaning/replacing).

Typically when you add boost to an engine, you need to add extra fuel to keep the combustion chamber cooler to prevent detonation or even melting of pistons. Direct injection reduces the need to add excessive fuel and you can lean it out slightly.

My superchaged mustang has a soot "issue" as well, but I don't worry about it.

Driving softly is another cause. Wind the engine out once in a while. That will help with the carbon build up in the engine and turbo to some degree. Not a perfect solution, but it does help.

On the video about the 2:30-2:45 mark, I'm not following his explanation. How would carbon build up on the intake valves cause a cylinder to run leaner? If there is carbon build up, that cylinder would be getting less air and run richer, not the other way around.

Welcome to force induction and direct injection. This was/is a known issue with my old MazdaSpeed6 with the 2.3 DI turbo. Intake valves would build up carbon due to the egr system. Without the valve washdown from the injectors, carbon can build up on the valves.

As stated earlier, walnut shell blasting was/is a highly effective solution to cleaning the valves(short of pulling the head off and cleaning/replacing).

Typically when you add boost to an engine, you need to add extra fuel to keep the combustion chamber cooler to prevent detonation or even melting of pistons. Direct injection reduces the need to add excessive fuel and you can lean it out slightly.

My superchaged mustang has a soot "issue" as well, but I don't worry about it.

Driving softly is another cause. Wind the engine out once in a while. That will help with the carbon build up in the engine and turbo to some degree. Not a perfect solution, but it does help.

On the video about the 2:30-2:45 mark, I'm not following his explanation. How would carbon build up on the intake valves cause a cylinder to run leaner? If there is carbon build up, that cylinder would be getting less air and run richer, not the other way around.
Carbon on the valve acts like a sponge for the fuel therefore when cold the air fuel mixture is not rich enough and a misfire occurs, same as the old port fuel injection engines just not as critical on these but possible.. They have a large valve overlap for exhaust scavenging. I guess we will see when I do the injectors tomorrow and peer down to the valves.

Carbon on the valve acts like a sponge for the fuel therefore when cold the air fuel mixture is not rich enough and a misfire occurs, same as the old port fuel injection engines just not as critical on these but possible.. They have a large valve overlap for exhaust scavenging. I guess we will see when I do the injectors tomorrow and peer down to the valves.

That makes sense. I suppose it depends on which side of the valve the carbon build up occurs. I was thinking the back side of the valve, not the cumbustion chamber side.

Also, does anyone know what the injector timing is? Do the injectors fire closer to TDC during the compression stroke when both valves are fully closed? I thought that was another reason for direct injection.

Although I doubt there is little that can be done, and Ford won't do it anyway, I'd like to know more of what you find. Please, after you inspect and /or repair, please report back to us.....Plum

Ford Ecoboost Warning Part 2 My Findings

As promised here is the follow up with my findings and the fix for the 2.0l Ecoboost I mentioned in the previous video. What it came down to was excessive coking on the backside of the intake valves and by doing a simple 5 minute cleaning the problem was eliminated. Now whether there is also a valve stem seal leak on #2 is yet to be determined.

In conclusion there is a definite issue with carbon and oil coking on the intake valves that needs to be addressed sooner than later by Ford with some kind of a cleaning method. As mentioned in the video if there is anything substantial that comes down the pipe from Ford on how to resolve this issue in the long term I will be sure to let all you Ecoboost owner know.

Hey, Thanks for the follow up diagnosis and video. Makes a lot of sense. Just a thought, but would not some quality oil catch can affair plumbed into this PVC line help mediate some of this problem? best regards Plum

Although I doubt there is little that can be done, and Ford won't do it anyway, I'd like to know more of what you find. Please, after you inspect and /or repair, please report back to us.....Plum

See my new video I posted for all my findings.

My 2.0 in my fusion builds up carbon on the exhaust quite a bit but I clean it and move on. Premium may really help this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found an article on CNET and it said this:

"Additionally, some owners and maintainers of GDI engines (particularly higher-performance, turbocharged models) have reported that direct-injection systems see increased carbon buildup in backsides of their intake valves, resulting in reduced airflow and performance over time. A quick Google search yields page after page of anecdotal reports of this issue. The buildup occurs because in most cars intake air is, frankly, kind of dirty -- even with air filters in place, modern exhaust gas recirculation systems and crankcase vent systems can add quite a bit of muck to the intake charge -- and without port injectors spraying gasoline (and the detergents that it contains) onto the valves, things can get pretty filthy over the course of many thousand miles."

I am sure this is not an Ecoboost only issue. Automakers like BMW and Mercedes are in the same boat too with their GDI + turbocharged vehicles.

Sourced from:
http://www.cnet.com/news/whats-so-great-about-direct-injection-abcs-of-car-tech/

Also, seeing results from real owners of turbocharged direct injection injections. A person using an oil catch can and meth (Some sort of methanol injection system?) showed better results in their valves.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521296

Back