• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• We are aware of the issue with our internal search engine and we will be bringing it back online shortly. For now please use the Google search bar near the top of each page. Thanks, Rick
^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Warning To All Ford Ecoboost Owners!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Riley

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 XLT 4WD
I wouldn't say it's a new warning. And hardly a huge issue since the engine has been in use since the 2010 model year and how often have you heard about it from other owners?

Smith_69

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
mazda 3
this would explain why people are complaining about the lag boost during the first several K miles (fuel shooting) and this is going to be a reason why in a few short years ford should abdoned this eco boost platform-

you are correct that eur models started out and had issues- one big note- the eur manufactors were and are stilling willing to spend money in this induction system to enhance it ( look a the new 3 series and M models) but it appears that ford is going to take a hands on approach. lets fixy when it breaky

same thing with the my touch sync- it was a dissappointing disaster and to ford customers, it still is. its getting better, but the interface is just not that good.

back to your post-

Ford, please do us a favor stick to the straight4, 6 or 8 or be willing to spend dollar to euro.

remember this post

eh cam

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto,Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer sport
How about ceramic coated headers to remove transferred heat to the turbos? Also, years ago, BMW used crushed walnuts blown into the intake plenum to remove soot buildup. just saying...

Rubberhead

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Mill, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 E.Bauer & '14 XLT 4WD
There are no free lunches. If turbos were the perfect solution to getting big horsepower out of smaller engines no one would make a naturally aspirated engine anymore.

Smitty814

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'14 Ford Explorer Sport
Used to have the same problem with a motorcycle. Solution was to run techtron every now and then. Also to open it up. The cause seemed to be related to running the to softly. Not sure it would transfer to the Ex, but worked great for the bikes.

plumbago

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 XLT EcoBoost
I've had our 2013 2.0L in several times complaining about the very sooty tail pipes, suspecting something is wrong; and poor gas mileage ...Ford and the Dealers two of them, all just laughed it off, saying there is nothing wrong.....so, nice video, but Ford really does not care , at least at this point.......I like the ride and size comfort of the vehicle, but this POS will be long gone before the warrantee is up....Plum

tmg19103

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT AWD
I've had our 2013 2.0L in several times complaining about the very sooty tail pipes, suspecting something is wrong; and poor gas mileage ...Ford and the Dealers two of them, all just laughed it off, saying there is nothing wrong.....so, nice video, but Ford really does not care , at least at this point.......I like the ride and size comfort of the vehicle, but this POS will be long gone before the warrantee is up....Plum
Might want to try Seafoam and 93 octane gas for a few tanks and see if that helps. Only real way to fully get the carbon deposits off is to take it apart and brush the heads downs.

While I have a normally aspirated 3.5, I have some carbon on my tailpipes and am wondering if my poor gas mileage is carbon on the heads. Thought of Seafoam when I watched the YouTube. Otherwise, unless you know how to take apart a cylinder head, it is a very expensive cleaning job.

Odrapnew

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Welcome to force induction and direct injection. This was/is a known issue with my old MazdaSpeed6 with the 2.3 DI turbo. Intake valves would build up carbon due to the egr system. Without the valve washdown from the injectors, carbon can build up on the valves.

As stated earlier, walnut shell blasting was/is a highly effective solution to cleaning the valves(short of pulling the head off and cleaning/replacing).

Typically when you add boost to an engine, you need to add extra fuel to keep the combustion chamber cooler to prevent detonation or even melting of pistons. Direct injection reduces the need to add excessive fuel and you can lean it out slightly.

My superchaged mustang has a soot "issue" as well, but I don't worry about it.

Driving softly is another cause. Wind the engine out once in a while. That will help with the carbon build up in the engine and turbo to some degree. Not a perfect solution, but it does help.

On the video about the 2:30-2:45 mark, I'm not following his explanation. How would carbon build up on the intake valves cause a cylinder to run leaner? If there is carbon build up, that cylinder would be getting less air and run richer, not the other way around.

makuloco2000

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
Welcome to force induction and direct injection. This was/is a known issue with my old MazdaSpeed6 with the 2.3 DI turbo. Intake valves would build up carbon due to the egr system. Without the valve washdown from the injectors, carbon can build up on the valves.

As stated earlier, walnut shell blasting was/is a highly effective solution to cleaning the valves(short of pulling the head off and cleaning/replacing).

Typically when you add boost to an engine, you need to add extra fuel to keep the combustion chamber cooler to prevent detonation or even melting of pistons. Direct injection reduces the need to add excessive fuel and you can lean it out slightly.

My superchaged mustang has a soot "issue" as well, but I don't worry about it.

Driving softly is another cause. Wind the engine out once in a while. That will help with the carbon build up in the engine and turbo to some degree. Not a perfect solution, but it does help.

On the video about the 2:30-2:45 mark, I'm not following his explanation. How would carbon build up on the intake valves cause a cylinder to run leaner? If there is carbon build up, that cylinder would be getting less air and run richer, not the other way around.
Carbon on the valve acts like a sponge for the fuel therefore when cold the air fuel mixture is not rich enough and a misfire occurs, same as the old port fuel injection engines just not as critical on these but possible.. They have a large valve overlap for exhaust scavenging. I guess we will see when I do the injectors tomorrow and peer down to the valves.

Odrapnew

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Carbon on the valve acts like a sponge for the fuel therefore when cold the air fuel mixture is not rich enough and a misfire occurs, same as the old port fuel injection engines just not as critical on these but possible.. They have a large valve overlap for exhaust scavenging. I guess we will see when I do the injectors tomorrow and peer down to the valves.
That makes sense. I suppose it depends on which side of the valve the carbon build up occurs. I was thinking the back side of the valve, not the cumbustion chamber side.

Also, does anyone know what the injector timing is? Do the injectors fire closer to TDC during the compression stroke when both valves are fully closed? I thought that was another reason for direct injection.

plumbago

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 XLT EcoBoost
Although I doubt there is little that can be done, and Ford won't do it anyway, I'd like to know more of what you find. Please, after you inspect and /or repair, please report back to us.....Plum

makuloco2000

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
Ford Ecoboost Warning Part 2 My Findings

As promised here is the follow up with my findings and the fix for the 2.0l Ecoboost I mentioned in the previous video. What it came down to was excessive coking on the backside of the intake valves and by doing a simple 5 minute cleaning the problem was eliminated. Now whether there is also a valve stem seal leak on #2 is yet to be determined.

In conclusion there is a definite issue with carbon and oil coking on the intake valves that needs to be addressed sooner than later by Ford with some kind of a cleaning method. As mentioned in the video if there is anything substantial that comes down the pipe from Ford on how to resolve this issue in the long term I will be sure to let all you Ecoboost owner know.

plumbago

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 XLT EcoBoost
Hey, Thanks for the follow up diagnosis and video. Makes a lot of sense. Just a thought, but would not some quality oil catch can affair plumbed into this PVC line help mediate some of this problem? best regards Plum

makuloco2000

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
Although I doubt there is little that can be done, and Ford won't do it anyway, I'd like to know more of what you find. Please, after you inspect and /or repair, please report back to us.....Plum
See my new video I posted for all my findings.

4FordFamily

Been there done that
Reaction score
City, State
Fishers, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 Sport, 08, other ford
My 2.0 in my fusion builds up carbon on the exhaust quite a bit but I clean it and move on. Premium may really help this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

1995E

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
I found an article on CNET and it said this:

"Additionally, some owners and maintainers of GDI engines (particularly higher-performance, turbocharged models) have reported that direct-injection systems see increased carbon buildup in backsides of their intake valves, resulting in reduced airflow and performance over time. A quick Google search yields page after page of anecdotal reports of this issue. The buildup occurs because in most cars intake air is, frankly, kind of dirty -- even with air filters in place, modern exhaust gas recirculation systems and crankcase vent systems can add quite a bit of muck to the intake charge -- and without port injectors spraying gasoline (and the detergents that it contains) onto the valves, things can get pretty filthy over the course of many thousand miles."

I am sure this is not an Ecoboost only issue. Automakers like BMW and Mercedes are in the same boat too with their GDI + turbocharged vehicles.

Sourced from:
http://www.cnet.com/news/whats-so-great-about-direct-injection-abcs-of-car-tech/

Also, seeing results from real owners of turbocharged direct injection injections. A person using an oil catch can and meth (Some sort of methanol injection system?) showed better results in their valves.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521296

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K 2011 ford explorer warning signs keep going off. How do I fix this issue? Is it safe yo drive? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
R TPMS/Low Tire Pressure Warning Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
T Broken or Nanny warning? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
D Engine Coolant Over Temp Warning Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
C Oil leak leads to blown motor without warning Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 45
M New to Forum - with a warning for others re program 17N03 (X-Sport) Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 10
R Check Brake System, Service AdvanceTrac and Collision Warning Malfunction Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 26
T Battery warning light turning on and off.. bad alternator? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 45
whitemage25 Low Oil Pressure warning at idle Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 27
Stic-o Airbag Warning light and Passenger seat? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
J Check Engine warning under acceleration Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 10
N Engine Stall and Oil Pressure Warning While Parking Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
T Check Charging System Warning Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
G Charging warning light Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
F no power steering/battery warning when first started. intermittent Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 21
A 2013 Explorer IPMA B12D8 Trouble Code (possibly lane departure warning related) Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
T 2014 seatbelt buckle and airbag warning light Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
J Platinum Low Fuel Warning Question Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
K Adaptive cruise control + collision warning with brake assist Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
S Fleet Warning Re: Lift Gate Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 11
5 Low voltage warning on startup Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
J 2016 Tire Sizes in IDS - Warning Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
A overspeed warning Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
B Dactivating lift gate warning sound? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
S Service Advance Trac/Collision warning/traction control/air bag warnings Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
K Back up camera/warning worth its weight in gold! Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 26
D How many people have had the airbag warning light activate Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 105
I Headlight "de-laminating" Warning Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 12
X Warning to whoever want to use Coolbulb as HID Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
C Door ajar warning issues Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 35
D Tire Jack Warning Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 13
L Low Washer Fluid Warning Stuck on Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 16
R Collision warning Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
K Power Liftgate Warning Chime Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 21
M some kind of new warning icon on LH display Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
B Intermittent air bag warning indicator Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
M Warning lights randomly pop up - Brake System / Advance Trac Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
J Shift to Park Warning Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 401
C Warning if you Remove the 2nd Row Console! Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 25
H crash warning and adaptive cruise control faults after going through deep water Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
A 2013 Limited: Collision Warning System inoperative Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
B Shift into REVERSE, is there a three-note warning? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 11
S Air Bag Light / Seat Belt Warning Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 379
blwnsmoke Low oil pressure warning... new bug Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
B Reverse warning chime? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
J TMS, Advanced Track, and Collision Warning Faults RESOLVED! Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
G Coolant Warning Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
B collision warning system (which package?) Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
B Government warning labels on visors Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
H crash warning HUD question Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8