Watch Video on MFT screen while not in Park? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Watch Video on MFT screen while not in Park?

sterlinggold

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Sorry if this was asked before; and yes I'm aware about the safety issues but is there a way to allow aux video playback on the main display while the vehicle is not in Park?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like a really bad idea. yet another way to distract a driver...

Sorry if this was asked before; and yes I'm aware about the safety issues but is there a way to allow aux video playback on the main display while the vehicle is not in Park?

Why anybody would want to do this is beyond me. You even answered your own question regarding the safety aspect of it. I'm not sure you would be able to focus on the display screen while shaving, texting, reading the paper and oh yeah.....DRIVING!!!!!!!!!:hammer::banghead::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Why anybody would want to do this is beyond me. You even answered your own question regarding the safety aspect of it. I'm not sure you would be able to focus on the display screen while shaving, texting, reading the paper and oh yeah.....DRIVING!!!!!!!!!:hammer::banghead::crazy::crazy::crazy:

This would allow a passenger in the front seat to watch a movie.

But it would still be a distraction to the driver. Get the rear seat entertainment package and have the passenger sit there.

Peter

Or they could just watch it on a tablet or portable DVD player so as to not distract the driver....gimme a break....I didn't realize that I had to point out the obvious!!!

Or they could just watch it on a tablet or portable DVD player so as to not distract the driver....gimme a break....I didn't realize that I had to point out the obvious!!!

I just think it should be up to the driver to decide what distracts them. It should also be their responsibility to have the discipline to limit those distractions.

If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time it probably isn't a good idea. But for others I don't think it is an issue. Wasn't trying to give you a hard time.

I just think it should be up to the driver to decide what distracts them. It should also be their responsibility to have the discipline to limit those distractions.

If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time it probably isn't a good idea. But for others I don't think it is an issue. Wasn't trying to give you a hard time.

That is why there is a law in place to not allow OEM in dash video displays.....I am personally tired of people thinking that they are smarter than the rest of us and claim that their "rights" are violated when they aren't able to, or allowed to distract themselves while driving a motorized vehicle. Geez.......give your head a shake already.....:crazy:

That is why there is a law in place to not allow OEM in dash video displays.....I am personally tired of people thinking that they are smarter than the rest of us and claim that their "rights" are violated when they aren't able to, or allowed to distract themselves while driving a motorized vehicle. Geez.......give your head a shake already.....:crazy:

Arguing this is the same as arguing why vehicles can go over the speed limit. Legally you aren't allow to go over "X" miles per hour. Why would the car be allowed to go faster? I never claimed someone was smarter than anyone. I just think there is more than one side to it. I'll leave the rest alone.

Arguing this is the same as arguing why vehicles can go over the speed limit. Legally you aren't allow to go over "X" miles per hour. Why would the car be allowed to go faster? I never claimed someone was smarter than anyone. I just think there is more than one side to it. I'll leave the rest alone.

You forgot about drinking and driving, not wearing a seat belt, etc, etc...
I see that you become easily distracted and can't stay focused on the topic being discussed.:D

You forgot about drinking and driving, not wearing a seat belt, etc, etc...
I see that you become easily distracted and can't stay focused on the topic being discussed.:D

That's why I don't......look ice cream!!

I'm not a fan of video while driving but man I'd love to have navigation while driving. Either that or a voice activated system THAT WORKS. My wife is more than capable of punching in a destination while we are moving but that's not possible, so I end up using my cellphone. What a waste of $795 navigation was!

Hi, sterlinggold!

Like everyone else said, you are not able to do this. If you install any of the aftermarket kits, you may end up voiding your MFT warranty.

Rebecca

Thanks Rebecca,

Just to get my 2 cents in:

1. This was meant for the kids at the back seat, I'm trying to avoid adding yet another screen/speakers/system to the car.

2. As for safety and distraction. It can be argued that driving the new Explorer with the adaptive cruise, lane guidance, Sirius, navigation, phone and HD radio is as distracting as watching a movie. At some point you must trust the driver and the driver must own up for his actions/choices.

Hi, sterlinggold!

Like everyone else said, you are not able to do this. If you install any of the aftermarket kits, you may end up voiding your MFT warranty.

Rebecca

Why would you want to use that screen to watch a video? The resolution is awful at 800x400, or whatever it is.

Even my original ipad has a 1024x768 resolution, and can be mounted anywhere in the vehicle for easy access.

Thanks Rebecca,

At some point you must trust the driver and the driver must own up for his actions/choices.

Before or after they kill themselves, their family, or worse yet, someone else????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are so many reasons this is a bad idea .....

1.) obviously safety: Look, I know you think you won't be distracted, but I think whether you realize it or not, part of your attention may be diverted to the video. I know I can't go in a restaurant that has a t.v. and not have my eyes diverted occasionally to something on the t.v.s they have everywhere nowdays. All it takes is a split second of not paying attention.

2.) Legal liability: There is a distinction in the law between negligence (simply being careless) and recklessness. Reckless is generally defined as disregarding a known risk and can carry substantially higher penalties (both criminally and civilly). If you have one of those lockpick kits in your car its going to cause a lot of questions if you get in an accident. If they can prove there was a movie playing at the time, you could be in a lot of trouble. Someone may claim you were not merely negligent, but reckless.

Its just not worth it IMHO.

Back