Water Leak | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thanks Peter! Another thing that I noticed since I bought car is that the bar that holds the third row seats down had rust all over it and when I told dealer about it they response was that some rust is normal. My first thought was how does water get in here to make that rust since meta needs water to create rust. And when getting in car around mid day after its been sitting in sun it feels really humid or stuffy inside car and have been complaining to wife if she noticed the same. Now it all makes sense after discovering where the water is entering from and only reason I found out was my 2 boys sitting in 3rd row telling me water is dripping on them. I hope the people that are having this issue check all the other places to see signs of water damage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

... I also called ford customer relations and they opened a case.

Hi misterturbo2,

As Peter mentioned, I'll be happy to look into this for you. PM me either your case number or your specifics (full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership) so I can research this further.

Crystal

So what has been dealers response with others on repairing this issue? What ford is trying to get me to pay seems a bit high and from what I've read on here its not a permanent fix.

So what has been dealers response with others on repairing this issue? What ford is trying to get me to pay seems a bit high and from what I've read on here its not a permanent fix.
It may or may not be a permanent fix. The real question would be to ask if they found the actual leak. If you are paying for the repair, I would get, in writing, that if the leak isn't fixed, that they won't charge you any additional costs to do the work again. Get a guaranty in writing that it is fixed. Some members have gone back 3 or 4 times.

Peter

Ok. Just got off phone with rep. They are willing to cover $1000 of the $1332 cost and only will warranty the fix for one year!!!! One year!!!! The explorer has 56k so out of factory warranty but the leak has been going on since car was on road with the rust that is in spare compartment. Rust does not get created over night!!! Oh and the rep says they are not aware of problems with roof leaking. I just bought a new ford fiesta and I love it and my explorer but I think I made a mistake not buying import. I did contact 7 on your side and might have to consult with an attorney becuase this issue most likely will occur again. And $1332 to re-seal just seems a bit pricey! For that much it should be a permanent fix!

I apologize for post back to back post but it's really bothering me!!! Ford rep tells me that they are unaware of this issue. So I am the only one in California that has had this problem? I know they cannot actually tell me "ya we've been getting a lot of this same issue" becuase then they would actually have to own up to this flaw in the vehicle. I wish we could actually get a number count on exactly how many are having this same problem.

Ok. Just got off phone with rep. They are willing to cover $1000 of the $1332 cost and only will warranty the fix for one year!!!! One year!!!! The explorer has 56k so out of factory warranty but the leak has been going on since car was on road with the rust that is in spare compartment. Rust does not get created over night!!! Oh and the rep says they are not aware of problems with roof leaking. I just bought a new ford fiesta and I love it and my explorer but I think I made a mistake not buying import. I did contact 7 on your side and might have to consult with an attorney becuase this issue most likely will occur again. And $1332 to re-seal just seems a bit pricey! For that much it should be a permanent fix!

You would only be out of pocket $332 on a vehicle that is "technically" out of warranty. I would take it and move on. They're covering it for a year...it's likely if it holds for a year it's a good fix and will hold for the life of the vehicle. If it's going to leak again it will happen fairly soon so just keep an eye on it. Worst case you buy some some to minimize the depreciation curve and if it leaks in 1.5, 2, 3 years down the road you trade it in and get something else.

Consulting an attorney is going to cost you more than $332 bucks.

Don't regret not buying an import. Sign up on a Honda or Toyota forum and you will find hundreds of posts about various problems with those vehicle too. It's not a perfect world...there will always be that fraction of a percent that has problems...you just happen to get some bad luck and be one of them but for every one of "you" with a leaky roof there are 10's of thousands of us who's vehicles are just fine.

Let them fix it and if you still have problems down the road, then cross that bridge when you get there.

^^ +1:thumbsup:

Peter

You would only be out of pocket $332 on a vehicle that is "technically" out of warranty. I would take it and move on. They're covering it for a year...it's likely if it holds for a year it's a good fix and will hold for the life of the vehicle. If it's going to leak again it will happen fairly soon so just keep an eye on it. Worst case you buy some some to minimize the depreciation curve and if it leaks in 1.5, 2, 3 years down the road you trade it in and get something else.

Consulting an attorney is going to cost you more than $332 bucks.

Don't regret not buying an import. Sign up on a Honda or Toyota forum and you will find hundreds of posts about various problems with those vehicle too. It's not a perfect world...there will always be that fraction of a percent that has problems...you just happen to get some bad luck and be one of them but for every one of "you" with a leaky roof there are 10's of thousands of us who's vehicles are just fine.

Let them fix it and if you still have problems down the road, then cross that bridge when you get there.

Easy for someone who doesn't have the problem to say

I think considering that for a vehicle that is 20K miles over the warranty, it is a more than a fair repair offer. Technically, Ford and the dealership are not obligated to do anything in this case. I also have not had this issue occur yet but since I lease my vehicles, I'm not very concerned about it either. If it happens, I may have them repair it, if covered under the ESP, and in another 12 months it won't be my problem anymore because my 48 month 'test drive' will come to an end.

Peter

Hello I am new to this forum and own a 2011 explorer limited. I am experiencing the same water leaks as some of you described on my third row seat belts. Other things I noticed that there is rust and a small puddle inside the spare tire compartment and condensation on the spare tire/rim and the cover for the spare tire is bowed. I took to dealer yesterday and they are gave me an estimate on repair cost. I told them that I am not paying anything just to let me know what the problem is and that it is a manufacturer defect not wear and tear. I also called ford customer relations and they opened a case.

What did your dealership say the fix was going to be? I had the water leak and it turned out to just be a bad seal where one of the roof rack points is bolted down to the roof. They put in a new gasket and sealed it to make sure and no leak now after several months/heavy rains/snow.

My dealership also said that Ford was aware of a leak issue and that is what they told them to check. Initially the dealer thought it was a bad window seal in the rear and resealed my glass. Once that didn't work, they took my advice and went on here and then called Ford directly.

Could you maybe go to another dealership to see if they will treat you better?

Yes and no. It sucks having to pay money for something that is not your fault but at the same time, if it had been leaking that long it should have been discovered sooner. I do not agree with the estimated cost Ford is saying it will be to fix the leak as I will bet money it is just a bad seal where the roof rack meets the body.

I make it a habit for all of my cars to occasionally check spare tire wells and such for any leaks. Maybe I am paranoid but that is how I found the leak on my explorer before coming on here.

$1,300 for fix a seal leak?? As stated, the majority of these have been to reseal the seam or roof rack. $1,300 is approximately 12 hours of labor.. that's just insane unless they are replacing parts in your Ex (carpet, seats etc).

Now, I will agree with Peter in that Ford doesn't owe you anything. That doesn't mean that they shouldn't help fix the problem. This is a well documented issue.. that doesn't mean it is a common problem or a highly repetitive problem (happens to a high rate of Explorers)

I have 57,000 miles on my 2011 and everything is bone dry and rust free in the back.

Have now had the 2011 Ex with only 32k miles on it for a week and really have liked it so far.

Warmed up enough to get some rain today. Has been steady, medium rain for a few hours.

I park my Ex outside. A check before I went for a ride demonstrated no leaks from the areas I saw pics and YouTube's to look for with the Ex parked in rain for a few hours.

However, after taking the Ex for a quick 10 minute drive, leak down the third row drivers side seatbelt that left some drops behind the upright third row driver's side seat behind it on the on the plastic next to the cargo area flooring. This is also not a hard rain, so concerned how bad it could get driving long distances through heavy rain.

Not happy as I paid cash, planned on keeping this as a second car for 10 years while only putting a few thousand miles a year on it.

Still under factory bumper-to-bumper warranty for 4 months (plus have 1 year extended bumper to bumper through Ford from the Infiniti dealer I bought it from) so I guess it is off to the Ford dealer to let them rip it apart and maybe, perhaps fix it after ten tries with them having the vehicle for weeks at a time.

Also, noticed the tin sound of rain hitting the roof. Not every drop, but some drops (not a real heavy rain). Was there a TSB to fix this? What's the fix?

Don’t mean to stoke the fire – but you’re being played by the dealer. Unless the Dealer Rep you’ve been talking to was just hired, then maybe he doesn’t know. But I highly doubt it, they usually have years experience. This issue has been documented for 3 years and it is in their data base that any dealers can access. For them to say sorry, you should have found this known defect sooner is a sad excuse for a company that wants return customers.
The last leak repair (3rd time in) only took them 2 hours to fix – so far so good. You should ask for an itemized quote for the $1,300. It’s probably more like $300 for the actual repair and they’re making it look like you’re getting a great deal by absorbing $1,000. Sales 101.

Also, think about the resale value of your vehicle when the potential buyer pulls a Car Fax and finds that yours had a water leak. If you traded it in for another vehicle, do you think the dealer will trade it at the same price for and identical vehicle that didn’t have a leak? This is a lose -lose situation for all of us owners that have / had a water leak problem.

For all the other people that think you’re getting a great deal at $300, just remember that it’s not their money being wasted or their vehicle that has a problem.

FYI - My 3rd row power seats not longer operate and are stuck in the stowed position - Just curios if the multiple water leaks had anything to do with shorting out the power.

Have now had the 2011 Ex with only 32k miles on it for a week and really have liked it so far.

Warmed up enough to get some rain today. Has been steady, medium rain for a few hours.

I park my Ex outside. A check before I went for a ride demonstrated no leaks from the areas I saw pics and YouTube's to look for with the Ex parked in rain for a few hours.

However, after taking the Ex for a quick 10 minute drive, leak down the third row drivers side seatbelt that left some drops behind the upright third row driver's side seat behind it on the on the plastic next to the cargo area flooring. This is also not a hard rain, so concerned how bad it could get driving long distances through heavy rain.

Not happy as I paid cash, planned on keeping this as a second car for 10 years while only putting a few thousand miles a year on it.

Still under factory bumper-to-bumper warranty for 4 months (plus have 1 year extended bumper to bumper through Ford from the Infiniti dealer I bought it from) so I guess it is off to the Ford dealer to let them rip it apart and maybe, perhaps fix it after ten tries with them having the vehicle for weeks at a time.

Also, noticed the tin sound of rain hitting the roof. Not every drop, but some drops (not a real heavy rain). Was there a TSB to fix this? What's the fix?
The TSB is the first on listed in the 2011 & 2012 TSB thread in the 'Sticky' section. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343204
Although some members have had it done, I opted not to after reading some of the posts on the attempted repairs. Also some said it helped while others said it didn't. There is a 23 page thread on it;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306107&highlight=tin+roof

Peter

The TSB is the first on listed in the 2011 & 2012 TSB thread in the 'Sticky' section. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343204
Although some members have had it done, I opted not to after reading some of the posts on the attempted repairs. Also some said it helped while others said it didn't. There is a 23 page thread on it;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306107&highlight=tin+roof

Peter

Yeah, not sure I want to deal with the tin sound. Will have to see what it is like in a real heavy rain and then decide.

I preemptively PM'd the service people about the leak who post here with my contact info, VIN and Ford dealer I will use asking it to be escalated immediately so I don't get yanked by the dealer pretending they don't know what it is - or not bothering to check their computer system to find out. Perhaps by now they know best where to start with the location of this leak at an escalated level if the dealer does not.

So I am getting the leak coming from the third row driver seat belt fixed this Wed. at a local Ford dealer.

Car is under warranty, they will have it all day, and won't give me a loaner. Said I need to rent a car/get a ride.

Will be curious as to the odds they can fix this first try. Service guy said roof liner must come down, so curious if a tight car will now rattle.

Not pleased with not getting a loaner. I know I just bought this Ex that is still under factory warranty from an Infiniti dealer, but I bought a used 2009 Escape from this local Ford dealer two years ago and essentially the entire engine (pistons, something else) went the second year I had it. Luckily on extended warranty. I keep this car in Nantucket at my vacation house and it was in the shop at Don Allen Ford up there for two weeks while on vacation and they gave me a loaner.

I already emailed Rebecca about this. Just venting. We'll see how it goes and whether they can fix the leak the first time. If not, I will probably just give up.

So I am getting the leak coming from the third row driver seat belt fixed this Wed. at a local Ford dealer.

Car is under warranty, they will have it all day, and won't give me a loaner. Said I need to rent a car/get a ride.

Will be curious as to the odds they can fix this first try. Service guy said roof liner must come down, so curious if a tight car will now rattle.

Not pleased with not getting a loaner. I know I just bought this Ex that is still under factory warranty from an Infiniti dealer, but I bought a used 2009 Escape from this local Ford dealer two years ago and essentially the entire engine (pistons, something else) went the second year I had it. Luckily on extended warranty. I keep this car in Nantucket at my vacation house and it was in the shop at Don Allen Ford up there for two weeks while on vacation and they gave me a loaner.

I already emailed Rebecca about this. Just venting. We'll see how it goes and whether they can fix the leak the first time. If not, I will probably just give up.
I hope that the dealer is able to repair this on the first attempt. Under the factory warranty, neither the dealer or Ford is obligated to supply a free loaner. This is mentioned in the Warranty Guide. If a dealer does provide one, it is at their expense.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope that the dealer is able to repair this on the first attempt. Under the factory warranty, neither the dealer or Ford is obligated to supply a free loaner. This is mentioned in the Warranty Guide. If a dealer does provide one, it is at their expense.

Peter

Well, then I have to give Don Allen Ford on Nantucket a lot of credit for giving me loaner for two weeks on a an Escape I did not buy from them that was on an extended Ford bumper to bumper when that engine self-destructed with only 25k on it.

I'll give this dealer one try to fix it. If they can't, I'll either learn to live with it or sell the car.

Back