Wax & Cleaner Recommendations | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wax & Cleaner Recommendations

In California it seems like TrueValue Hardware is the only place to get it. After calling a few they all say they don't stock it but can order it in. Just as fast to order it myself or check out a few Marine Supply shops.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In California it seems like TrueValue Hardware is the only place to get it. After calling a few they all say they don't stock it but can order it in. Just as fast to order it myself or check out a few Marine Supply shops.

Aviation related businesses may have the RejeX Wax too.

You know, the more I think about this- I remember hearing that the Ex's are being railed around. Whether or not any particular Ex is being railed, most have some carried miles on them when they get to the dealer. Any decent amount of travel will leave raildust (or from truck brakes) on the horizontal surfaces and the rear of the vehicle (even the plastic protecting them leaves open areas). Check the paint for imperfections with your hand or with a sandwich bag over your hand- if there is any roughness, hit it with a mild claybar before you wax...

Oh man. I should have done the clay bar. The surface was a bit rough when I wash applying the wax but I applied turtle wax and dry and I hope it removed some of it. I do notice some slight slight slight unnoticeable spots darker spots on the car which was probably from the dirt and I saw many scratches. Oh well, I'll do it next time.

If it were me, (few are me though :)) I'd claybar the vehicle and rewax it. The clay will remove the old wax and the contaminents at the same time. If you leave them on the paint, they will eventually start to imbed themselves into the clearcoat.

THIS is a nice article...

Well, a clay bar will not remove any scratches. Only a polish and an orbital polisher will do that with the proper pads and product.

At this point, I'm only talking aout the imbedded imperfections- If you want to remove scratches, you'll need some sort of a compound to work through the removal and correction process. That you can do whenever, especially when it warms up- in Maryland! :)

For anyone looking in:

Clay Bars are for removing contaminants that are bonded to the surface like overspray, tree sap, dirt, dust, road grime, rail dust, brake dust/pad fallout, and industrial fallout. If you run your hand across the paint and it doesn't feel as smooth as glass, you would want to clay the car.

Paint Cleaners and Compounds are for removing defects that are below the surface like swirls, scratches, stains, and oxidation. Pull the car into the sun or under some good lighting and inspect the surface by looking at different angles for defects. If any swirls or defects are present use the appropriate product to remove them.

Pure Polishes and Glazes are designed to restore oils and nutrients into the paint for the ultimate high gloss. With dark colored paint, this optional step will be much more noticeable for the final look.

If you're going to do some correction, a cheap random orbital will not have the power to needed as they're basically wax pushers (the WalMart variety orbitals). If you're planning on doing some regular maintenance, I'd suggest a DA such as the Porter Cable 7424xp, the Meguiars G110v2, or the Griot's Garage 6. All 3 perfoem well, and have a good selection of pads and great features.

Thanks Joe Dirt for the great tips! I have bought some meguiar's claybar for future work. And it has already started to warm up here. The Explorer looks so good under the sun.

No prob- I've been around detailing a little while... Ok, a long while. :)
Bill is on top of his stuff too... :thumbsup:

Also- if you got the clay, did it come with a bottle of Meg's Quick Detailer? If not, you could get some, it's great clay bar mister. Also good are a 1:1 mix of "Last Touch" or "Final Inspection" spray. Just don't use Ultimate Quick Detailer- the polymers will defeat the purpose and overlubricate the contaminents and the paint surface...

For paint protection, what you want is a sealant, not a wax. A sealant protects your paint for much longer than a wax. A wax is better than nothing but for the ultimate protection, use a sealant then a wax.

I don't have the Explorer yet, this is how I detail my Grand Cherokee. What I do is wash my Jeep with Meguiar's NXT Wash and a little Optimum No Rinse via the "2 bucket method" (the two bucket method is very important if you don't want to introduce swirls). Because my Jeep is black, water/soap spots can be a problem so I wash and rinse small sections at a time (washing it in the shade is also a must for me). Once all of the sections are done, remove the hose attachment and go over your whole car with the water coming out of just the hose. This helps the water "sheet" off (less to dry with the towel).

Then to dry it I use a waffle weave microfiber towel. Wiping it dry can scratch the paint so I pat it dry.

I really like the Blackfire line of car care products. After the Jeep is dry, I use a foam applicator to apply their Wet Diamond sealant. I do two to three coats and you should wait 8 hours between each coat. Be sure to remove any dust that may have settled on the paint before you start the next coat. A quick detailer and plush microfiber towel is good for this.

To give the paint even more of a wet, slippery look I finish it off with two coats of a nice carnuba wax like Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba Paste Wax

About twice a year I use Poorboy's Wheel Sealant.

For tire shine I use Blackfire's Tire Gel

For leather I use DI's Leatherique cleaner and rejuvenator

To clean and protect interior surface like the dashboard I like 303 Aerospace Protectant. It's not super glossy and greasy, it adds a nice matte sheen that makes it look new.

Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer is another good interior product. I often use it on my leather for a quick clean. It can even be used on buttons/knobs (audio, HVAC, etc.). Again, it doesn't make them super glossy, it makes them look clean and new.

Detailed Image is a great resource. Spend some time reading their blog: http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/

HTH!

Good stuff, Jan-

True about sealants... As can probably be seen, I'm a mostly Meg's guy, so my responses are based around a lot of their products since that's what I have the most experience with. For 2011, Meg's introduced Ultimate Wax- non-whiting and able to be applied in full sunlight, a pure polymer sealant wax. To me, Ultimate Wax sounds like a product that will now directly compete against synthetic sealants like Blackfire Wet Diamond, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, and Menzerna PowerLock, but for a bit less $$. It's more expensive than other sealants that we find at places like Advance Auto; but it's less expensive than the above-mentioned sealants. The high price of the wax will be a hurdle to be overcome; yet as the "boutique" wax market demonstrates, people are willing to pay more for waxes they believe to be superior.

My opinion on products is to use what you like- that way you're far more apt to use them. I love Meg's #16 Carnauba- when the enviro's got laws changed, and Meg's could no longer sell it, I farm it from Canada. It's great stuff. The can is pretty too. :D

I agree with your preference on interior detailers too- the 303 is nice stuff. I can't stand super-shiny interiors. Never been my thing.

Keep on waxing- nice to know I'm not the only obsessive compulsive detailer here... lol! :D

:D yeah I'm super picky when it comes to my vehicles and how they're treated lol

That Ultimate Wax sounds pretty good, kind of like their NXT Wax, which I used to use and liked.

It's similar but still a full clean-sheet new product. I like that it's got the ability to wax and not white the trim. (Liquid, I think the paste might just by the nature of what you have to add to make it into a paste)

I like the NXT 2.0, but some have issues with longevity- but I wax enough that it's not a concern.

I'll be using the new microfiber DA system this spring on my latest Ex... Looks incredible. CLICK

Product review and Nick's thoughts are HERE

the results look impressive! I'll definitely keep that system in mind when it comes time for a paint correction.

Recommendation for Brand of Car Wash, Wax?

Any particular brand of wash and wax works the best?

Any particular brand of wash and wax works the best?

I use to use the Meguiar's Pro series exclusively on my Z06 and other cars until they stopped making it.

Now I've been using Mother's California Gold 3-step cleaner, glaze and, carnuba wax. I like it because it's easy to apply and remove. Satisfied with the shine.

Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash... cheap, nice and sudsy and seem like a mild soap.

I just washed and waxed mine yesterday. I used Turtle Wax Ice for the wash. Extremely easy to use and it did a nice job.

honestly, if your explorer isnt black there's no reason not to take it to a full service car wash. i work at one, we vacuum, clean your whole inside (windows dash gauges cupholders), the outside gets a great wax, or if you go with a better package you get the single, triple, and full body rain-x wax. everyone says OH PAINT SWIRLS LAIHSDFOIHDO! not true. only black cars get paint swirls over very very long times, so by the time you sell your explorer you wont notice them even starting. no reason not to take it to a full serve IMO if you are planning on doing the works. if you are just buffing your wax on, i congratulate you because i sure a hell can't.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Meguiars deep crystal I have used. It shows where I haven't gone over. I've started to use eagle one car wash. Its a little less soapy but comes out nice. For wax meguiars gold class with extra carnuba. It repels the water very well and beads up. Do it right there are no swirls. Surface feels like butter. Just be careful and take your time. It took me a whole Saturday in my garage to do it.

Back