Wax & Cleaner Recommendations | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wax & Cleaner Recommendations

Anything from Meguiar's is well worth the buy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

only black cars get paint swirls over very very long times, so by the time you sell your explorer you wont notice them even starting. no reason not to take it to a full serve IMO if you are planning on doing the works. if you are just buffing your wax on, i congratulate you because i sure a hell can't.

What the heck are you talking about? All paints can swirl. Wow. You'd better do some investigating before laying out that kind of ridiculous comment.

Blue?

123635d1205432155-paint-swirls-dsc_09021.jpg

Red?

before_swirls.jpg

White?

IMG_2472.jpg

Is that what your employer told you, or are you not sure what a swirl actually is and are talking about something else?

Any particular brand of wash and wax works the best?

For car wash I like Zaino Z6 Car Wash and Adam's Car Wash, for the paint. I use Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash for the wheels, since it's less expensive.

A great wax/sealant is RejeX Wax.

I use Zaino Z6 Car Wash, Zaino Z-CS Clear Seal, and Zaino Z8 Grand Finale Spray Seal.

Z-CS is great. Takes maybe 10 minutes to do the whole vehicle. Wipe it on... done.

Best part of Z-CS is that it can be used on the paint, trim, glass, and black plastic. In a nutshell, just wipe the whole vehicle down with Z-CS and you're protected. According to Zaino the protection last for up to 9 months, but for best results they recommend you apply Z-CS 3 to 4 times a year.

I use the Z8 Grand Finale quick detail spray after each washing. Takes about 5 minutes to do the whole car.

I use Meguiars car wash and Meguiars NXT 2.0 Tech wax. Very happy with the results. I use it on all of my vehicles. If you really want the paint to jump, first hit it with an orbital buffer and Meguiars Ultimate Compound. Does wonders for cleaning up orange peel in the clearcoat and removing swirl marks.

honestly, if your explorer isnt black there's no reason not to take it to a full service car wash. i work at one, we vacuum, clean your whole inside (windows dash gauges cupholders), the outside gets a great wax, or if you go with a better package you get the single, triple, and full body rain-x wax. everyone says OH PAINT SWIRLS LAIHSDFOIHDO! not true. only black cars get paint swirls over very very long times, so by the time you sell your explorer you wont notice them even starting. no reason not to take it to a full serve IMO if you are planning on doing the works. if you are just buffing your wax on, i congratulate you because i sure a hell can't.
Biggest BS right there.... I guarantee if I take a hp lamp to your customers cars even white ones will show swirls/scratches galore. Sorry, but the car service stations suck... I mean rain-x... haha com'on, complete junk. Only black cars get swirls lmao... sorry but you just showed yourself to be the typical "detailer" that knows nothing about taking care of cars. Have fun hacking up you customers pain jobs, I don't even want to know what you do for the "interior.

If you want to learn how to take care of your car, and actually use high quality products... www.autogeekonline.com and www.autogeek.net

I have a Flex and PC, and use polishes and compounds like Optimum's... Klasse AIO is a awesome light chem cleaner that leaves layer of protection that beads like crazy (i use on glass). Also Duragloss Aquawax is not only excellent for paint, it works 100x better on glass then rain-x crap. Duragloss car wash is also one of the tops around.

Meguiars all the way. Love the results.

Their online store is incredible, last time it took less than 24 hours between clicking "Buy" and having the box at my door :) :thumbsup:

...and their customer service is incredible. I enjoy being able to chat with their factory techs on the forum as well. Tons of great knowledge, and an incredible full line of products.

Zaino and RejeX are also top notch products, the Z-series stuff from Zaino is very, very cool. Time consuming, but awesome... :thumbsup:

I use Zaino Z6 Car Wash, Zaino Z-CS Clear Seal, and Zaino Z8 Grand Finale Spray Seal.

Z-CS is great. Takes maybe 10 minutes to do the whole vehicle. Wipe it on... done.

Best part of Z-CS is that it can be used on the paint, trim, glass, and black plastic. In a nutshell, just wipe the whole vehicle down with Z-CS and you're protected. According to Zaino the protection last for up to 9 months, but for best results they recommend you apply Z-CS 3 to 4 times a year.

I use the Z8 Grand Finale quick detail spray after each washing. Takes about 5 minutes to do the whole car.

x2 with Zaino..really good stuff. Expensive to use for a daily driver. Used to use it all the time on my show car and it looks fantastic. Can't buy it at any store.

I use the meguiars ICE polish. Its not wax, but the shine it gives is AMAZING. And you can apply it in direct sunlight without worry. Just be sure to wash with a waxless car soap, and wash very well. I usually wash two, sometimes three times before applying it. Its an incredible product, and it gives plastic parts a truly like-new appearance. I love it.
They make it for interior use as well.

Zanio, and you will never use another product again!

I read for years about Zanio on the different forums and I finally bought some two weeks ago for my Tuxedo Black Explorer and I cant believe how deep the shine is!

I will never buy anything else again!!!

Mequires can come up with new names and fancy new packaging and I no longer have to stress out about which product I should be using. I'm not saying Mequires is bad, just don't need several different variations to choose from and I am saying it dose not compare to Zanio, IMHO.

Waxed my Explorer with the Zanio and did a 1100 mile trip and the bugs just sprayed off when I got home.

The paint looks wet and has an amazing deep shine to it.

Customer for life!

I use the meguiars ICE polish. Its not wax, but the shine it gives is AMAZING. And you can apply it in direct sunlight without worry. Just be sure to wash with a waxless car soap, and wash very well. I usually wash two, sometimes three times before applying it. Its an incredible product, and it gives plastic parts a truly like-new appearance. I love it.
They make it for interior use as well.

Either that's Turtle Wax ICE, or Meguiars Ultimate Wax... Both have similar qualities, apply in sun, non-whitening for trim, etc... :)

chemicalguys.com

love their washes sealants and waxes.

What Wax do you recommend?

OK,

FINALLY got our new 2011 Explorer - 4 months after ordering, 3 months after manufacture.

Anyone have any specific waxing recommendations or just get any decent car wax?

We have the Sterling Grey Metallic paint.

thanks.

I use Turtle wax Ice on my Ex Bordeaux Metallic,it brings out the clarity of the color and the Metallic glint.

We have a Sterling Gray also. I used Turtle Wax Ice on it and my wife's Edge about a month ago. I think I will continue to use it. You don't have to worry about getting some wax on the trim with it since it does not turn white.

Doesn't turn white on trim? Sounds like the one to get!

thanks.

We have a Sterling Gray also. I used Turtle Wax Ice on it and my wife's Edge about a month ago. I think I will continue to use it. You don't have to worry about getting some wax on the trim with it since it does not turn white.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From everything I have heard, the only thing that the Turtle Wax Ice is weak on is durability. It goes on easy, doesn't mess up the plastic, but isn't as sturdy as some of the other waxes on the market.

That being said, with as easy as it is to apply, maybe put a coat on every other month might be good enough to keep the car looking great and the paint protected.

Those of you who use it, what is your opinion of its durability?

Back