Weird problem - fog lights flash... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird problem - fog lights flash...

I decided a couple weeks ago to purchase LED brake lights and turn lights for my truck. I purchased a LED flasher unit too so my turn signals don't flash really fast.

It was a pain getting the flasher unit in, but I finally got it in. I put the bulbs in easily, and then tested my light. Everything looked great.

I left home, headed to work. When I got behind a car, and used my turn signal, I thought I saw my fog lights on. I thought that was weird, so I pulled over and checked it again. It was fine. I got back on the highway, and as I merged, I was behind a pick-up truck. I had my turn signal on, and my fog lights were flashing with my turn signal!

After I got to work, I tried to show my co-worker who knows a lot about cars. It wouldn't do it. But, when I turned on my hazard lights while in park, it started flashing my fog lights again.

Does anyone have any idea of what might have happened?

I have an '04 Explorer Limited. I have Auto-Lamps. This ONLY happens when I have the switch on Auto, my fog light switch on, it's light out (so my fog/headlights are not on), and I'm driving.

If I'm stopped, it all works as normal. If my fog light switch is off, it all works normal. If my highlights and fog lights are on (automatically or manually), it all works fine. Anytime my fog lights are in the "off" position, it works fine (regardless if my headlights are on or not).

I'm kinda puzzled since I didn't make any changes to the wiring. The only thing I did was put in the LED flasher unit (from www.superbrightleds.com) and put in LED's (from www.ledlight.com).

Does anyone have any experience with this, or have any idea's for a solution?

Another thing to throw in the mix too...I have a Viper Remote Start connected. When I start my truck, or unlock/lock the doors with my Viper remote, it flasher the parking lights (the dash lights light up, my parking lights light up, and if my fog light switch is on, the fog lights will light up too). So I don't know if that's screwing it up...

Thanks for your help!

Something has been added into the OEM circuits which is connecting the fog lights to the turn signal circuit. If you had not mentioned the alarm I'd guess the flasher is causing it alone, but the alarm could also contribute to what the flasher is doing.

Go back over the wiring where you installed the flasher, chances are that that is where the issue is. You probably tapped into a circuit location which connects those circuits. A change, or a diode may be the answer. Good luck,

I'm with Don that it might be the flasher, especially because you don't need one of their flashers -- the easiest way to fix the fast blinking is to get their "load equalizers", which are just resistors wired in parallel to add current draw.

On another note, Rouch, have you had any tranny issues since you installed the LED tails? There's another thread that discusses the TCC's operation being affected by LED tail bulbs, and I wasn't sure if the 3rd gens had the same problem -- I want to use LED tails, but not if it'll cause problems.

the fog lights are controlled by the parking/trun signal lights you can not use a led flasher in an 04 what you need to do is put a 6 ohm 50 watt resistor across the turn signal wire and ground at each light so that they will flash normal ford 's burnt out light circuit is the problem with the fast flashing with out the resistor

It sounds like some delicate circuits being crossed/mixed with other circuits, and added power draw is causing the issues. Usually the best answer, not necessarily easiest or cheapest, is to isolate the circuits.

Do what you have to of course, I would figure out the circuits, and cut them apart, feeding one separately with a different power source.

I have for example a separate turn signal switch on my right door panel, a simple three position On-Off-On switch. I didn't just add wires to connect it to the OEM signal wires. I made a circuit with separate flasher, power, three relays, all within an existing OEM relay box under my master cylinder. My extra switch simply provides a ground path for one of two relays, and the new signal is tapped into the turn signals wires near the LF headlight. Good luck, it can be done.

Back