Welding Rod selection?

cdsl227

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT
I doubt this is in the right place, but here goes- when welding does anybody have any tips for what rod to use?

In other words, can 6011 1/8" (?) be used to weld up to 3/8 plate?

I think it's 7014, I know the first 2 digits indicate how many psi the steel is rated for and the last 2 are application or coating...but I'm having a hard time finding specific info as to what rod size to use for what thickness steel. This would be with a LincolnArc 220 Welder.

I'm asking because I got a ton of 7014 1/8 (?) rod for free when I got the welder.

I tried using the 7014 rod (thick rod) for 3/8 plate and even at 225 amps that stuff was hard to get on a roll and didn't seem to penetrate all that well...the thinner rod lays down so much nicer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

6010 and 6011 is a deeper penetrating rod. 7014 is medium penetrating. 7018 is low. I'd use the 6011 in the high end of the amp range (125-185) Should have no problem with 3/8 steel.

The other problem I have is with the thickness of the rod, could you use the thin rod and just consume more of them and get the same effect?

I tried using some of the thicker rod and that stuff was a PITA to get it burning right and that's with the welder on 225 amps.

The thin rod on about 100 amps cooked beautifully. I'm just wondering if the 3/8 plate requires the use of the thicker rods.

A 6011 rod is "the farmers rod" for a reason. that rod can weld anything...it is tougher than hell!

You should only have to burn at 70-90 amps for the 6011 and 6013. When using a thinner rod you will have to make multiple passes to get your weld. Make sure you get all of the slag cleaned out before you start your next pass. If you have to, use an ice pick or an awl to clean.

P.S. Your 4th number is for postions you can weld with

Thanks much! That's what I was looking for- an ok on the thinner rod for 3/8 plate! :D

I thought it was doing a nice job, but wanted to be sure there was no particular reason for using heavier rod.

Back