Camshaft Removal and Selection | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camshaft Removal and Selection

rudypoochris

Reaction score
Got a triple question here:

1. I searched and found a thread saying it was quite difficult to swap the cam out with the engine in vehicle. Is this true? If so, is the ribbed oil pan strong enough to support the engine from below with a piece of wood (2X4) and a jack. Could I get enough clearance with out the use of a crane, basically. I DO have access to one, but it isn't the simplest of affairs if you know what I mean.

2. Are there any other hot cams out there for the 91-94 Explorer other than the Comp Cams 410 and 422? Is it safe to run 1.6 rockers instead of the stock (1.5 I believe?)? If so, do they exist?

3. What is the largest valves people are sticking in these heads?

A response to any of these questions is greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can swap on a set of heads from a pushrod 4.0 that came in 2nd jen explorers. this will raise compression and flow. As far as i know comp. is the only brand of cam. the 410 is for low end power. the 422 is more for high end horsepower. But both cams have higher rpm range then stock. If you add a port and polish to the intake and heads you should be making good power.

Are you talking about the 5.0 or the 4.0 OHV or 4.0 SOHC ?

almost all the motors can be done in the vehicle if you dissasemble the front end so you have enough room to slide the cam out.

The SOHC is the easiest since the cams are overhead.

But I have a feeling your talking about the 5.0 ...

He's asking about the 4.0L OHV.

Ryan

Thanks for the help guys. Couple of things:

1. That link is useful jtsmith, but unfortunately there are 16 pages of information mixed with stuff concerning 302's and other stuff that will take forever to sift through. Could you point me to an approximation of the correct page or the post number that sheds light on my woes? Thanks

2. Talking about the 91-94, so 4.0L OHV. So consensus is yes it can be done, but I will probably have to remove the radiator?

3. I am porting a set of 93TM castings. I will keep the 9.0:1 comp, but I am gasket matching, and removing all obstructions in the flow path. For the exhaust that means removal of the two bumps for the bolt extensions, cutting back the meat around the valve guide, reducing the bend and such for flow purposes. For the intake, gasket match and removing the meat around the valve guide, etc. How much horsepower does one typically see from such a job w/ stock valves and stock cam? W/ larger valves and hot cam?

Thanks guys!

I too am at the point where I am ready to remove my cam, the problem I see is that center support in front of the radiator is exactly in the way. Will I have enough clearance before I hit it? and if not do I have to unbolt the tranny, I really don't want to get into that. So what to do now?

cut the radiator support or pull the engine

Cut the support, a good thought, I'll probly put two new supports off to the sides a few inches apart to not incounter such a problem again, also should be a bit more strength

When I'm done I'll drive up there 410 and drag you around bumper to bumper. Yeahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!.

Back