What can I expect to break down? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What can I expect to break down?

Not directly related to the topic, but if I were going somewhere distant and had any concerns about car theft, I'd install either an alarm system (I have a two-way one that sends to a receiver that I wear on my belt) or at least a flashing LED that simulates an alarm, wired to turn on whenever the ignition is off.

The heater control valve seems to be an issue on these also- cheap part and easy to bypass on the side of the road but worth a mention. Bring something you can use to bypass/fix hoses with. I forget the inner diameter of the heater hoses, but a 4 in piece of pipe and some clamps should be in your tool kit. 1 or 2 spare fuel filters in case you get some bad fuel underway/crud loosens up in tank, maybe even a fuel pump. With something that has sat that long, there are a lot of things that could give out along the way. Maybe a spare serp belt.

I goofed big-time on this. I was in there yesterday and lo and behold ... I've already got a transmission fluid cooler. I don't know how I'd missed that, but I will say there ain't much room in there to begin with!

i recently put a secondary trans cooler on my 93 4x4... took it off my parts truck and added it to the trans fluid lines on the 4x4. i only had to drill one hole to install the 2nd cooler, and used the original hardware, including the hose clamps. i also replaced all the rubber hoses while i was at it, one of them was starting to rot. i also did the in-line oil filter mod for the trans fluid (as instructed by a thread by natenkiki, $50 worth of parts from autozone) but i had to make a bracket to mount it to. ... i cant say wether or not the mods are helping as the trans is still out of commission and the truck is not being driven (that should change soon)

i am also planning to add in 2 electric fans (one for each cooler), when i have the money to buy expensive temp sensors to properly wire them in with relays and whatnot. i am hoping that with these mods i will be able to milk at least maybe 10,000 miles out of the trans, once i get it repaired. (waiting on dry weather for the transmission repair project to begin)

if you were planning on doing these mods....
i am sure you dont have a parts truck sitting around that you can take a cooler off of, but maybe a junk yard does. or performance grade over sized trans coolers can be had from online stores in the ballpark of $80-100 or so. i assume that one oversize cooler would be a better option than 2 small ones from the factory, but i am not expert on these things.

Back