What did YOU do to your Explorer today? | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did YOU do to your Explorer today?

Istalled a grant wheel in my expo yesterday with the grant adapter hub #4288

grant%20wheel_zpsurkc5hl5.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I noticed on my 1994 too, there's an extra frame support up front. The name escapes me now but it's a 1/8" or 3/16" piece of steel about 6 inches wide that spans the width between the frame rails, welded to the frame on the bottom.

Didn't know 91's don't have that. I call that piece of metal, "the coolant catcher", because that's exactly where it dribbles if you open the drain on the radiator.

Sometimes I wish that piece was bolted on instead of welded, so I could remove it quickly...

Istalled a grant wheel in my expo yesterday with the grant adapter hub #4288

grant%20wheel_zpsurkc5hl5.jpg

About $88 in parts, pretty sweet. I've always wondered about that.

Didn't know 91's don't have that. I call that piece of metal, "the coolant catcher", because that's exactly where it dribbles if you open the drain on the radiator.

Sometimes I wish that piece was bolted on instead of welded, so I could remove it quickly...

Really? Glad my 1991 doesn't have it. I thought it was nice & easy to drain the radiator, totally a clear shot. Ford must have done that either for safety or reinforcement. Might be a good idea for offroaders to add it to their 1991's.

Maybe it is a skid guard / slider to protect the radiator? Or, it could have been added to make the frame more rigid. It was probably added just to aggravate me.

Nothing fancy, but I replaced the alternator that was making a funny noise. Then, after I got it all back together and running, I took it apart again replaced the belt tensioner that was actually making the funny noise. :)

Oh and greased up the sluggish power window regulator. Considering replacing it in both doors and replacing bushings in motors.

Not to shabby for poor old fat lady. :D

Mk

Not an explorer, but I began the day doing maintenance on the B4000. Changed front diff gear oil, greased steering, slip joints, etc. Ended the day by driving through a bunch of brush, and ripped off the plastic veil under the front bumper. Its happened before, and I was sick of it, so I slapped this up. For something that took under an hour, I like it a lot. I like the simple look, but you could add a bit more if you want. I plan on adding some pushers to protect the radiator later. The front hitch was already there, and its not just bolted to the bumper. This could easily be done to an explorer as well.

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

After 2 rebuilds (1 successful and one not so much) finally broke down and put a new blower motor in. Hate when these things die at -15c.

Changed all the fluids in my 93 4x4 Sport over the holidays - front and rear diffs, transfer case and transmission - also installed new speed sensor plastic gear which the Ford dealer had for around $5 !! Need to change the ignition cylinder lock - bought an AM from O'Reilly's - going to try to use old tumblers from original cylinder so I can use my original keys - :thumbsup:

Finally got my engine back in.

That moment, when the engine lines up just right with the trans and it slides together 'on its own.'

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 292

Changed my transmission fluid and put a magnefine inline filter on.

I think you got that backwards, unless your lines were reversed. On my 1991, it comes out of the right side of the auxiliary cooler and goes back to the trans. The left side of the auxiliary cooler goes to the radiator tank cooler, which is where the fluid goes first.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1991 Explorer/Pictures/IMG_20140308_095801.jpg

Might double-check that by disconnecting a hose, running the engine and seeing which end the fluid comes out. You shouldn't hurt anything with the filter that way, it just won't work as well as it should. The magnet inside won't ever catch anything since the paper catches it first when reverse-flowed.

I always wondered how that would look. It looks pretty sweet.

That does look pretty good!

Also, got around to doing the 4X4 shift motor repair. Wow, much better!!!

I think you got that backwards...

It wouldn't be the first time, but not this time. The flow on my ’93 goes from the radiator cooler to the drivers side fitting on aux cooler and out of the passenger side fitting back to the tranny. I put the filter on the inlet to the aux cooler because it was a straight run and I didn’t have to add any extra hose. I originally wanted to put the filter after both coolers, but this location was easier. I do have to take off the grill to get to it, but that’s only two screws and two clips. I put a drain plug in my tranny pan and I also use the cooler line to exchange the rest of the fluid. I’m hoping to get another 23 years out of this ride.

It wouldn't be the first time, but not this time. The flow on my ’93 goes from the radiator cooler to the drivers side fitting on aux cooler and out of the passenger side fitting back to the tranny. I put the filter on the inlet to the aux cooler because it was a straight run and I didn’t have to add any extra hose. I originally wanted to put the filter after both coolers, but this location was easier. I do have to take off the grill to get to it, but that’s only two screws and two clips. I put a drain plug in my tranny pan and I also use the cooler line to exchange the rest of the fluid. I’m hoping to get another 23 years out of this ride.

Good on you for verifying. Mine could easily be wrong since the trans was yanked twice and the lines at the trans or the cooler could be reversed. Ford might have also done things differently in 1991.

That filter will help your trans out a TON and being able to drain the pan and exchange fluid, you should get a lot of life out of it. The upside too is that you won't have to replace the internal filter ever again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A couple days ago my truck ate my 3/8 ratchet and socket :eek:. I was tightening the trans fluid tube and dropped it. it went down the Chinese pinball machine and I spent a whole day looking for it. Its gone. All I can assume is that it ate it. I have looked everyplace on that motor/frame/cross members. Now I need a new trouble light cause its in a thousand pieces.
As a side question. When that trouble light falls from were you tried to stick it up in the motor, what law is it that causes it to always fall with the light shining right in your damn face?

Back