• Register Today It's free!

what do u think??

jlxplorer

Reaction score
City, State
citrus heights, california
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 eddie bauer limited
theres a guy selling a 1994 explorer like a base model, 2 wheel drive 5 speed stick, two door the grill is black and the body is white and someother things i noticed, so im asuming is just a stock base model x, anyway its got a rebuilt motor and a rebuilt tranny, for 1700$ it just wont pass smog, he thinks its just he cadilac converter..think its a good deal, cuz i think its more then just a cad converter, and a base x still has a 4.0 v6 right?? not to sure on older fords..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seems a little high actually. Especially if it won't pass smog. If it isthe catalitic converters, those are going to run you at least $250 before having them put on (there's 2 of them). Maybe offer him $1000 then deal with the fixes it needs. All explorers came with the 4.0 until the optional 5.0 in 96.

$1700 does seem high, especially considering it's 2wd. Do they have papers on the eng/trans rebuild, and is there any warranty?

thats too high a price for not passing smog...... it could be any number of things and the calcualted risk is too high for him not to have had it fixed..... my carbureated 1985 toyota pickup passed smog... sureley a vehicle 10 years newer should be able to pass without much problem....

briwayjones said:
How many miles is on it? Sounds high to me too.

180,000 miles, i wasnt toabout the price ither for a 2 wheel drive, i offered 1000 and he got all mad, yeah he has the paper work on he eng/tranny but only the tranny is coverd for a few thousand miles, and 1700 is to much for something that has nothing its a base model like roll up windows and no power locks

Yeah, thats way to high, he's just trying to get some money out of the engine/tranny. I bought my sport, 2wd but fully loaded except leather, for$1100 with a fresh rebuilt trans. I had to fix a couple things, but nothing major, and that I wouldnt replace later anyways.

" but it has new tires and breaks" that is what he said when i offered a thousand....thanks for the imput..

If he put all that $$ in it, then why is he selling it?

sounds like it's on a lot to me...

If it was a 4x4, $1700 would be more in line, but I agree with the others I'd try to beat him down on the price a little, heck it won't even pass smog, so you couldn't even license it without some $$ and work.

Just an FYI its the sellers responsibility to make sure the car passes smog...DO NOT let him pawn that reponsibility off on you.

Infact if the car wont pass smog he cant even sell it in the state.

TJM623 said:
sounds like it's on a lot to me...

its not on a lot, think about it a lot cant sell a car that wont pass smog,

its this guy selling it to pay bail to get his sons friend out of jail..some story like that...and he doesnt have the money to fis it up or else he would and then sell it for 2500...his exact words

Ha, I'd stay away, he sounds like a real sleaze to me.

Sounds like he thinks he's got a gold mine there. If he's that motivated to sell, he'll drop the price for you. Otherwise, you can walk

dont walk RUN

Back