Votes: 54 14.4%
  • 5.0L V8

Votes: 187 50.0%
  • Diesel (Dreaming)

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 46 12.3%

• Total voters
5.0 pre PATS, tuned to get rid of any unnecessary junk sensors, 4r70w trans or M5r2, and the selectable transfer case from 95-97 found in the v6 models.

All this stuffed in a 91-94 body.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I could get my hands on one cheap, I'd swap a volvo 4.4L V8 into my aerostar van.

If the 4bt wasn't so damn expensive, there would already be one in mine.

Dreaming here, but I'd love a Coyote 5.0 to wedge into my '03 XLT. Or a 3.7L EcoBoost.

Well... the motor I really would want in the Explorer would be the 4.9L inline-six. But, it would be difficult to fit. Another option might be the old 250cid inline-six, if built up right. But of the three you listed, probably the V8, since you can get lots of parts.

try a 4l barra motor from a XR6T ...the Aussies know what i mean.......

Barra 325T FGX Sprint
The final variant of the 4.0-litre I6 cylinder turbo-petrol engine featured in the FGX XR6 Turbo Sprint. The engine employs an over-boost feature for 10 seconds when optimal atmospheric conditions are met when under full throttle, boosting power & torque to 370 kW and 650Nm.

Power: 325 kW (436 hp) @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 576 N·m (425 lb·ft) @ 2750 rpm

i've attended dyno days and seen earlier barras pull 1k hp ...on a stock bottom end!!!

Last edited:

I'm a simple guy. I would still prefer the 5.0 with a 5 speed and AWD in a '99/'01 Sport.

other,, all electric portals with separate drive for each wheel,,
4 independent drives and suspensions,,

I may find a way to make an Ex diesel powered one day.. I'd love to put a 1.9 TDI VW engine in a Ranger. The explorer would be too heavy for that. A 4BT would be better but really heavy and unrefined.

other,, all electric portals with separate drive for each wheel,,
4 independent drives and suspensions,,
Someone is thinking Tesla..?

How about diesel-electric hybrid?

I have a new wish engine, the new Lincoln 3.0 turbo. In the AWD MKZ, it will be 400hp. That'll be a fun Lincoln.

I'm doing the 5.4 sohc on my ex as we Speek with a c 4 trans and 203/205 trans, it's going well so far.

I'm doing the 5.4 sohc on my ex as we Speek with a c 4 trans and 203/205 trans, it's going well so far.
That will be interesting, you should start a thread in the modified first gen forum.

I've read a lot of very interesting engines in this thread. But most of them won't fit without MAJOR modification to the chassis and body. But since I'm a simple man.... I just want a 351 from a Gen I Lightning. Should fit without too much modification and will tow my camper better than the 5.0.

I think for Offroad I'd prefer the OHV for reliability. If I was building a street machine or just a nice cruiser I'd definitely want the 302 2WD with a Limited Slip. It'd be nice to have the option to use some of the aftermarket mustang parts. Just my not as educated as some of the others opinion. Every engine has its pros and cons. Unless it's an L28ET in a pretty 280zx. Then that's great all around.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would LOVE a 4BT diesel . They are bullet proof and they make great power with a upgraded turbo and fuel needle

Back