• Register Today It's free!

What GPS should I get?

MoabB2

Reaction score
City, State
South Jordan, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
89 Bronco II (97 Mercury)
I'm looking for a portable GPS that I can use in any of my cars, or take with me hunting, hiking, snowmobiling, etc. I would want something that would navigate me in the city, as well as off road, where I could plot waypoints etc. Touchscreen preferred. Looking in the $400 range. Does anyone currently have a GPS or know of one that would work for what I want?

I am considering the Garmin streetpilot C580 or Garmin Nuvi 360, but I'm not sure that either will work offroad.Garmin
However they do accept SD cards. Would it be possible to load offroad maps onto the SD card and use it that way?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm looking for a portable GPS that I can use in any of my cars, or take with me hunting, hiking, snowmobiling, etc. I would want something that would navigate me in the city, as well as off road, where I could plot waypoints etc. Touchscreen preferred. Looking in the $400 range. Does anyone currently have a GPS or know of one that would work for what I want?

I am considering the Garmin streetpilot C580 or Garmin Nuvi 360, but I'm not sure that either will work offroad.Garmin
However they do accept SD cards. Would it be possible to load offroad maps onto the SD card and use it that way?

There is a guy on another board I'm on selling a fairly new 1st gen Blackbird for $200, which is a really good deal. It is touch screen and will do everything you are looking for. He's in the DFW area so I don't know what he would want to do with shipping. You could register and post up in there if you are interested.

http://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=64470&sort=1&cat=27&page=1

I just got the Nuvi200 and I don't think it has offroad capabilities, but just speaking model-wise, this is a nice unit. Hell my mom figured out how to use it! The best part is really that it's so easy to use, the touch screen works great and is fun to play around with.

Find a 360 and mess around with it, I'm not familiar with all the models, just the 200, but it's good for the money.

i have the nuvi 350 just love it and it has off road capabilites

GPS mystery

What GPS to buy will be based almost entirely what the primary use will be. I have a Tom Tom for my wife's car but I use a laptop and Delorme program with a GPS receiver for my own travel.

Off road requires a different unit. Check Cabela's catalog for fall of 2007. They have an assortment of Lowrence, Magellan etc. These are probably the most versatile and would be your best selection. You don't just pick up a GPS and start using it for off road or on the water navigation. You need to have some knowledge of basic navigation. I have a Lowrence that I use for hunting, fishing and flying small aircraft. I can set the way point for the end of the runway and then take off, fly a couple hundred miles and then comeback to almost exactly that same spot.

Cabelas also will give you an idea about what accessories are available for the unit you choose.

I appreciate all the feedback guys, thanks!

Back