• Register Today It's free!

What I've been up to...

blakshukvw

Reaction score
City, State
K.C. mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT 5.0
My X's step bars were looking pretty ratty with rust developing around the end caps and stuff. I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone. I removed the bars and took them to my cousin who own an Ameriguard bed liner location and he applied a nice lining to them at no charge. I think they turned out great.

While I waited for the step bars to be done, I decided to see what the rockers look like under the plastic trim. I thought it wasn't that bad until I started digging around. The rust was pretty bad. I cut out most of the actual rust and then applied a rust treatment. I then applied a couple thick layers of undercoat and then a final layer of Ford black before reinstalling the plastic rocker covers. I was very pleased with the end results. What do you guys think?
Before
Copyof100_1082.jpg

100_1089.jpg

Half done...
100_1093.jpg

100_1092-1.jpg

Undercoat applied and ready for paint...
100_1085.jpg

100_1081.jpg

Finished
100_1119.jpg

100_1118.jpg

This looks worse in pics than in person
100_1117.jpg

100_1115.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pics of the stepbars...

100_1113.jpg

100_1112.jpg

100_1111.jpg

100_1109.jpg

100_1108.jpg

100_1107.jpg

100_1106.jpg

My boys, 9 and 10, helping bolt the stepbars on.
100_1098.jpg

Not one reply, huh. Okay. Well I like them.

Awesome job!!!! I like what you have done. Rust is a horrible cancer in the north east, I am glad here in Texas they use sand instead of salt....You put a lot of work into it, nicely done!!!

looks good keep up good work

Thanks guys.
What exactly is it that causes the rust in this area? Every Ex I see without the rocker covers has it horribly too. It cant be just from the plastic covers retaining water. It seems ford did a terrible job prepping this part of the body before closing it up. In all the mess I cleaned out of the rocker, there wasn't any road salt or dirt in their. In fact the area just in front of the rear wheel is more solid than the areas I showed. Just doesn't make sense.

I liked the look of my truck without the step bars but had to reinstall them so my daughter can climb in.

My ex looks like yours only in white. I have the same bad rust at the end caps on my step bars and it looks like I might have to do something like this. I think I might remove the plastic with lettering and leave it smooth.

You wont want to remove the plastic covers permenantly. Once removed you'll see that the stepbar is recessed there and there are holes in the bars where the plastic covers clip in. That's where mine were rusting as well as at the end caps. You'll understand once you remove the plastic covers to prep your bars.

Sidenote: When you go to have the bedliner applied, most places can add color anymore so if your truck is white, you may opt for white to match or even grey to match the body trim.

So when can I drop my Mountaineer off neighbor:D It's now by back up, back up vehicle. so you have plenty of time :D:D

So when can I drop my Mountaineer off neighbor:D It's now by back up, back up vehicle. so you have plenty of time :D:D

Bring it on mang! I know what you mean when you say it's now a "back up, back up vehicle". I have owned many VW's and have learned you always need a back up VW to your back up VW that backs up your other VW. LOL

Looks great! I'm glad we do not have to worry about rust like that down here!

Looks great! I'm glad we do not have to worry about rust like that down here!

That would be over here. The last time I checked California is West of Missorui, not South. :D:D:D

Mmm, gotta love north east winters. Obviously they're not as bad as out west where they get tons of snow but it is enough for rust to be a problem on older cars. When I got my rocker trim torn off last year I found a nice fist sized hole underneath. Rear rocker panel rust is apparently a common problem.

They look good! Not much you can really do with the rockers, they just retain water. I think some drain holes would help when they were engineered... At least with the caps and stuff they used the majority of the issues can be covered.

Are you sure you weren't sitting in a lawn chair with a cold drink taking pics while your boys did the actual "work" under there? :D

They look good! Not much you can really do with the rockers, they just retain water. I think some drain holes would help when they were engineered... At least with the caps and stuff they used the majority of the issues can be covered.

Are you sure you weren't sitting in a lawn chair with a cold drink taking pics while your boys did the actual "work" under there? :D

That similar to what my wife said. LOL. The job would have never got done if I relied soley on them. That pic was the first time that day they stopped fighting long enough to do anything productive. :p: They did a good job and I look forward to the time when I can do what you proposed.

I would like to remove the running boards from my 2000 but it scares me,I don't want to see the same thing.

I did trash the plastic trim on my 94 after having the spots repaired,I hope it will last a lot longer that way.:D

The running boards dont hide the damage, its the plastic rockers that do. All you can do is remove them and inspect the rockers.

Back